Monkey Island 3 - in fullscreen

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

GybruschBeewood

Monkey Island 3 - in fullscreen

Post by GybruschBeewood »

Okay, Monkey Island 3 work's great but isn't fullscreen... on each side in the landscape mode is a black stripe :-(

The IPhone screen is small enough, how can I fix it?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Re: Monkey Island 3 - in fullscreen

Post by Vinterstum »

GybruschBeewood wrote:Okay, Monkey Island 3 work's great but isn't fullscreen... on each side in the landscape mode is a black stripe :-(

The IPhone screen is small enough, how can I fix it?
It's fullscreen. The black bars is because the original game has a 4:3 aspect ratio (resolution 640x480), while the iPhone screen is wider than that.
Last edited by Vinterstum on Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GybruschBeewood

Post by GybruschBeewood »

Ah, okay... bad for me :)
A long time ago, the 4:3 area :wink:
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

what resolution does monkey island 1 have? 320x240 ? isnt that 4:3 too?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

MajinChibi wrote:what resolution does monkey island 1 have? 320x240 ? isnt that 4:3 too?
320x200
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

md5 wrote:
MajinChibi wrote:what resolution does monkey island 1 have? 320x240 ? isnt that 4:3 too?
320x200
To be precise the original resolution was 320x200 with an 4:3 aspect (that means on the displays back in the days the pixels were not squares but rather rectangles, with a greater height than width). When you do not enable "Aspect Ratio Correction" ScummVM will just output 320x200, which most probably will not have an 4:3 aspect on your display, because all(?) modern displays have square pixels, thus it would be rather an 16:10 ratio and thus look odd. To compensate that you can enable "Aspect Ratio Correction" and ScummVM will scale the screen to 320x240, which is having 4:3 aspect on displays with square pixels.
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

could some kind of software scaler strech the image? (no i´m not able to do it, i´m just asking +.+)
wisefire

Post by wisefire »

i would suggest a zoom function, to fill the sides and cut a bit of the top and bottom, of course this would have to be easily revertible, if you want to see if there are clickable items on the top or bottom.

also, im having control problems, the "control coin" is not easily accessible, unless im using dragmode.. but then every time i touch the screen, it mouseclicks, and guybrush want to walk there, or im clicking another item, i know this has been worked on, but it not easy controlling the game with touchpad mode off (i cant aim that accurately with my finger to touch either the hand or the skull or the parrot, and forget about pixelhunting), and as said in the changelog for 0.13.0 its even more of a "female dog" to control it with touchpad mode on. i would suggest a different control scheme, if i may.

touch once, walk to, (look at)
touch twice in rapid succesion, opens up inventory.
touch with one finger, then another, opens up the "control coin" menu.

i guess this post kind of became a "i WANT THIS AND THAT TO BE PROGRAMMED IN, BUT I CANT PROGRAM, SO U DO IT, ZOMG!!!11one."

im sorry for that, i played MI2 with much pleasure on my iphone. and it worked beautifully! thank you for that!

TL;DR
cool port! got some control problems with touchpad enabled mode and COMI, what am i doing wrong?