Manic Mansion Deluxe FREEWARE now

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

andwan0

Manic Mansion Deluxe FREEWARE now

Post by andwan0 »

Now that LucasArts released Manic Mansion Deluxe as freeware, will ScummVM host a ScummVM-friendly download just as they did for Beneath A Steel Sky & Flight Of The Amazon Books?

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/articles/104/1040904p1.html
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

What the ...? I thought, and checked Mixnmojo for news on this.
But nothing.
Hmmm. Something wrong here I thought.

Checking your link and it's all cleared up. That version of MM was made by Lucasfans. Not Lucasarts.
It's been out for years.
As for AGS, what the game was made with, if I recall it's not open source. There are a number of threads about it here.

I'm glad I checked Mojo though. I didn't know Zombies Ate My Neighbors had been released on virtual console and that Bad Asp has a blog now.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

This is completely wrong and misleading. We do not know exact details why LucasFans were put down, but we do know that LucasArts took part in it. That is, that remake used copyrighted material, i.e. heroes, story, graphics without any permission. Thus it is hardly can be called fully legal.

Eugene
Kisdra

Post by Kisdra »

There's nothing new about MM Deluxe, the article beyond the link is just here to remind that this version is still available on the Web.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

sev wrote:This is completely wrong and misleading. We do not know exact details why LucasFans were put down, but we do know that LucasArts took part in it. That is, that remake used copyrighted material, i.e. heroes, story, graphics without any permission. Thus it is hardly can be called fully legal.

Eugene
This is pure speculation. No one ever maintained that LucasArts was involved in this. The explanation that LucasFan withdrew his page for just spreading rumours is as good as any other.
Jorpho

Re: Manic Mansion Deluxe FREEWARE now

Post by Jorpho »

andwan0 wrote:Now that LucasArts released Manic Mansion Deluxe as freeware, will ScummVM host a ScummVM-friendly download just as they did for Beneath A Steel Sky & Flight Of The Amazon Books?
To be precise:
-Maniac Mansion Deluxe has always been freeware.
-Lucasarts did not make Maniac Mansion Deluxe.
-Maniac Mansion Deluxe is an AGS (Adventure Game Studio) game.
-Support for AGS games in ScummVM is unlikely at this time, as AGS is not open source.
-Beneath A Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen are not books.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

I think it is already clear that he is confusing Maniac Mansion Deluxe with Maniac Mansion Enhanced.
andwan0

Post by andwan0 »

Nikioko wrote:I think it is already clear that he is confusing Maniac Mansion Deluxe with Maniac Mansion Enhanced.
ah you mean Maniac Mansion Deluxe is some port/hack?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

No. It is not a port.

It is an unofficial freeware fan-remake, made with Adventure Game Studio.

It has nothing to do with SCUMM, which was developed by LucasArts.

Ps. Talk about thread-necromancy.