Last Crusade (Amiga version): Corrupt IQ points counter!

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

I agree with adalsgaard if completing the game 100% gives you a different ending or bonus but otherwise I don't think it's a critical bug.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

ezekiel000 wrote:I agree with adalsgaard if completing the game 100% gives you a different ending or bonus but otherwise I don't think it's a critical bug.
It doesn't
adalsgaard

Post by adalsgaard »

Thanks for the contribution, Raziel... Now that's it clear to everybody that we have different opinions on the subject "complete", maybe we could return to the subject of fixing the errors?
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

I guess you could extract the scripts from both versions and see what the difference is. I'm not sure how to do this but Charlie had no problems hacking away at the scripts for MI when I was working on the MI Speech project, Jestar jokin would be a good person to ask about that.

This bug it seems has been defined as low priority by the ScummVM devs so it may get fixed in the future, but don't hold your breath. If you want I can email Charlie to see if he doesn't mind having a look at it but I'm not sure if he has both versions of the game (send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward it too Charlie, can't guarantee he'll get back to you).
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

adalsgaard wrote:Now that's it clear to everybody that we have different opinions on the subject "complete"
I thought we were talking about "completable", which to me is when a game can be played from start to finish. A game can have major bugs and still be completable. For instance, Monkey Island 2 should be completable, even though we don't emulate the PC Speaker music.

If we go back a couple of years, Sam & Max used to have major glitches in the music, and Full Throttle skipped entire scenes. But again, you could reach the end of the game which made them completable.
adalsgaard wrote:maybe we could return to the subject of fixing the errors?
So... who has this game, and is prepared to do a bit of debugging? In this case, I guess it would involve playing through that part of the game with the -u command-line option ("Enable script dumping if a directory called 'dumps' exists in the current directory"), run the dumped files through the "descumm" (with the appropriate option) and try to figure out where and why the IQ points are updated. Several scripts may be involved. Comparing them to the scripts from the DOS version of the game may, or may not, help.
adalsgaard

Post by adalsgaard »

ezekiel000 wrote:This bug it seems has been defined as low priority by the ScummVM devs so it may get fixed in the future, but don't hold your breath.
Where exactly did you see that?
eriktorbjorn wrote:So... who has this game, and is prepared to do a bit of debugging?
I have both versions (Amiga ADF files and PC DOS). Sadly, I know just about nothing about debugging.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

adalsgaard wrote:
ezekiel000 wrote:This bug it seems has been defined as low priority by the ScummVM devs so it may get fixed in the future, but don't hold your breath.
Where exactly did you see that?
From the answers the devs left in this thread.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Just to make it 100% clear, this issue is indeed at most a minor issue, a very low priority bug: A non-blocking bug affecting a not so wide spread variant of a game which otherwise works well. Moreover, it's apparently not even a bug in ScummVM but in the game data files. As such, as any other bug we'd like to fix it; but there are about a gazillion other things higher on our priority list.

If you want to have some hope of somebody someday looking into this, follow our forum guide lines and report this as a proper bug report via our bug tracker. Thanks! :)
icanntspell

Post by icanntspell »

I am giving this issue a try. It may be good way to help me understand the inner workings of ScummVM. I have the Amiga version and the Steam version of Indy3.

I may not be as fast as an experienced dev, but I'll get there.

Currently I am trying to map the 73 puzzles to the points that should be awarded, and which script does that.
adalsgaard

Post by adalsgaard »

ezekiel000 wrote:If you want I can email Charlie to see if he doesn't mind having a look at it but I'm not sure if he has both versions of the game (send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward it too Charlie, can't guarantee he'll get back to you).
ezekiel000: Please check your PM's.
icanntspell

Post by icanntspell »

I need a little help please... I use ScummRev to extract the script blocks from the .LFL file. This works fine for the steam version of indy3.

The amiga .LFL files are encrypted (with 0xFF) which is probably the reason why ScummRev5 can't handle it.

What tool(s) can offer some help in this situation?

(assuming that somebody must have had the same need before me).
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

icanntspell wrote: What tool(s) can offer some help in this situation?
I don't know. I've always simply used the -u command-line option to ScummVM, in combination with the "descumm" tool. Admittedly not all that user-friendly.
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

lflview from here comes with a tool to decrypt lfl files, tho i don't know if it will be compatible with the indy ones. or you could see if scummrev v2 can handle them?

edit: just peeked at the source for scummx (the tool that comes with lflview), and it does use 0xFF to decrypt, so looks hopeful.
adalsgaard

Post by adalsgaard »

icanntspell wrote:I am giving this issue a try. It may be good way to help me understand the inner workings of ScummVM. I have the Amiga version and the Steam version of Indy3.

I may not be as fast as an experienced dev, but I'll get there.
icanntspell has solved the problems and what a terrific job he did! To some people, this was a minor glitch but to me it's a big deal.

Thank you very much, icanntspell!!!
icanntspell

Post by icanntspell »

I am just glad I was able to help.

FWIW, the issues are caused by 2 bugs in the scripts of the Amiga version. Not really a ScummVM issue which emulates the bug perfectly. I am not sure if there was actually bug for opened. If so, it can be closed.

I feel the need to document my findings and write an updated walkthrough for this game. When finished I'll post the URL.

Also I made some minor changes to the dump scripts facility (which I consider improvements), I will post a patch in the patch tracker.

It was a lot of fun doing this. Hopefully I can contribute more someday.