How to run multi-disc games! (CoMI, Broken Sword, etc.)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

youngblood

Post by youngblood »

First I wanna thank every developer that made this all possible, it's like im reliving my childhood again. :D

So i'm running Discworld 2 on my Samsung 8910HD (Symbian S60 5th Edition) and it's just amazing how well it works. It looks even better than it ever did on my pc.
Everything went well, untill I had to change to disc 2 and the game crashed. If i follow the guide and change Discworld 2's english.smp, english.txt and english.idx files, the game is not recognized by scummvm anymore. I tried putting all files in one folder, i tried renaming just the files on disc 2 but nothing works.

Hopefully someone has a solution because i really wanna finish the last part.

Thanks in advance,

youngblood
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

youngblood wrote:
Everything went well, untill I had to change to disc 2 and the game crashed. If i follow the guide and change Discworld 2's english.smp, english.txt and english.idx files, the game is not recognized by scummvm anymore. I tried putting all files in one folder, i tried renaming just the files on disc 2 but nothing works.
The detection for Discworld 2 checks only two files: dw2.scn, and 'english1.smp'. If it's not correctly detecting anymore, it means you didn't correctly rename the english[.smp/.idx/.txt] files of both CD's correctly. The three files from Disc 1 should be given a '1' suffix before the extension, and then the entire contents of the second CD copied into the same folder, and those same three files given a '2' suffix.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Why doesn't ScummVM check for at least one file from each CD for multiple CD games when adding it to ScummVM?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

ezekiel000 wrote:Why doesn't ScummVM check for at least one file from each CD for multiple CD games when adding it to ScummVM?
There are two reasons. The first is that the engine has code similar to that of the original game engine to allow for playing directly on the CD, with CD swapping game discs halfway through the game. However, there are issues in ScummVM with actual CD changing, so you can't actually play the whole game directly from the CDs.

The second is that there are a lot of people who simply don't, or won't, read the documentation. If they don't properly rename the files, the current detection means that they'll at least be able to play part of the game. This, in my opinion, is better than simply not detecting the game, and making them think ScummVM doesn't support the game at all.
RunBeerRun

Post by RunBeerRun »

Thanks, I just bought Urban Runner, which I think was made for Win95, and had problems installing, then I found I can just drag the files onto my hard drive, and Scumm recognized it.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

RunBeerRun wrote:Thanks, I just bought Urban Runner, which I think was made for Win95, and had problems installing, then I found I can just drag the files onto my hard drive, and Scumm recognized it.
It's good to hear that the guide helped you! :D
alex45erwx6

Disc2

Post by alex45erwx6 »

I'm playing Discworld 2 and I'm not sure what to do when it comes to the CD changeover. I've copied both CD's onto my computer, put them in a file and made the necessary name changes (e.g ENGLISH.SMP on CD1 to ENGLISH1.SMP etc). But once I finished the first CD it told me to 'please insert CD 2'. Now I'm probably being a complete noob but I'm not sure what to do next, I've tried opening ScuumVM again and starting disc 2 from there and closing the existing ScuumVM folder and opening it again but both times I try to open the second CD it says 'ScuumVM could not find any game in specified directory'. What should I do?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Disc2

Post by eriktorbjorn »

alex45erwx6 wrote:But once I finished the first CD it told me to 'please insert CD 2'.
Out of curiosity, how big are the files ENGLISH1.SMP and ENGLISH2.SMP? I'm not very familiar with this part of the code so I could be barking up the wrong tree, but it looks to me like it uses the size of the file (not its name) to determine which CD it's currently using. If the file is at least 200 MB, it's CD 1, otherwise it's CD 2.

While that's true for the English and American versions of the game that I have, it does seem like an odd way of doing it to me.
alex45erwx6

Post by alex45erwx6 »

ENGLISH1.SMP is 229,863 KB and ENGLISH2.SMP is 102,889 KB. So should the program automatically change over to the 2nd part?

Thanks
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

alex45erwx6 wrote:ENGLISH1.SMP is 229,863 KB and ENGLISH2.SMP is 102,889 KB. So should the program automatically change over to the 2nd part?
As far as I know, yes, assuming that all the necessary files from both CDs have been put together into one big folder. (I think that's 272 files, but I've never gotten around to playing through the game in ScummVM, so I don't know for sure that mine works.)
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

alex45erwx6 wrote:ENGLISH1.SMP is 229,863 KB and ENGLISH2.SMP is 102,889 KB. So should the program automatically change over to the 2nd part?

Thanks
Make sure you've also correctly renamed the two *.IDX and *.TXT files as well. Single you've indicated you have the English version, that should be ENGLISH1.IDX, ENGLISH2.IDX, ENGLISH1.TXT, and ENGLISH2.TXT
alex45erwx6

Post by alex45erwx6 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
As far as I know, yes, assuming that all the necessary files from both CDs have been put together into one big folder. (I think that's 272 files, but I've never gotten around to playing through the game in ScummVM, so I don't know for sure that mine works.)
Oh sweet, I copied all the stuff into one folder and it worked.

Thankyouthankyou
almightyfredder

scummvm works fine, but no sound!

Post by almightyfredder »

I was able to get scummvm to run comi (thank you very much for the concise tutorial_. However there is no voices on the game. The intro (where Guybrush is writing in his diary and the initial spat between LeCuck and Elane) plays the voices just fine, but whenever active gameplay starts there is no voices! Music plays just fine and the subtitles let you know what's being said, but I would like to hear the characters (especially Murray) talking.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: scummvm works fine, but no sound!

Post by eriktorbjorn »

almightyfredder wrote:However there is no voices on the game. The intro (where Guybrush is writing in his diary and the initial spat between LeCuck and Elane) plays the voices just fine, but whenever active gameplay starts there is no voices!
One possibility is that you forgot to copy the voxdisk1.bun and voxdisk2.bun files. (If I do this, the characters don't even move their lips when they speak.) Another possibility is that the speech volume setting is too low, but that seems much less likely to me. The parts that you do hear voices in are moves - that's the .san files in the resource folders - and they aren't affected by either of these.

If there are other possibilities, I can't think of any at the moment.
almightyfredder

Post by almightyfredder »

I think I figured it out: I was originally installing the game with copies I had from a loooong time ago (stinkin' windows me, game only worked on the copies). I got the original copy that I had, took the voxdisk files off and replaced them in the directory. I now have voices, but they are kind of scrachy. Hey, it's better than nothing! Thanq for all your help!