Legend of Kyrandia 2 - Crash on Music-Skull + Savegame

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

peachadelic

Legend of Kyrandia 2 - Crash on Music-Skull + Savegame

Post by peachadelic »

I've been playing Legend of Kyrandia The Hand of Fate on my DS and it's been working fine so far. I'm playing with a Cyclo DS and what I think is the latest release of Scumm VM DS.
I went up to the point where you have to play the melody on the skull's teeth. When I complete the correct melody, the game locks up. I can still move the zoomed view with the touchpad and one note keeps on repeating.
I thought it might have something to do with the sound, so I tried disabling it before starting the game, but the same thing happened.
Did anyone else have this bug and can it be fixed?

Then I thought to get past the part where the game crashes on my DS I could just play this scene on PC and save, then switch to DS again.
I put the Micro SD card into my PC and used dosbox to just start the game directly from the card. But when I tried loading my savegame, none of the ones I previously saved while playing on the DS were there. Quickly looking through the game files I couldn't discover anything that looked like a save file either.
Is there a way to use the same savegames on PC and DS?

How can I avoid the game crashing on that certain part?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: Legend of Kyrandia 2 - Crash on Music-Skull + Savegame

Post by LordHoto »

peachadelic wrote:Then I thought to get past the part where the game crashes on my DS I could just play this scene on PC and save, then switch to DS again.
I put the Micro SD card into my PC and used dosbox to just start the game directly from the card. But when I tried loading my savegame, none of the ones I previously saved while playing on the DS were there. Quickly looking through the game files I couldn't discover anything that looked like a save file either.
Is there a way to use the same savegames on PC and DS?
You can not use save games made via ScummVM in DOSBox. You will need to use a PC version of ScummVM for continuing your game.

EDIT:

I think I have caught the reason for this hang on the Nintendo DS. It seems the Nintendo DS backend only updates the sound on certain occasions, probably to keep the code single threaded. I now added a workaround for this in the Kyra engine, so hopefully it should work now. I do not know when there will be a new Nintendo DS build for testing, but I did commit my change to the branch, so in the final 1.0.0, Kyra2 should hopefully play past this point.
peachadelic

Post by peachadelic »

Wow that's awesome. I think I'll postpone playing Kyrandia 2 then until this comes out. =)