new adventures

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Nikioko

new adventures

Post by Nikioko »

Hey folks,

wanted to know if you have played new adventure games lately. i just ordered The Book of Unwritten Tales for about € 25 which I consider to be a good price. I played the demo and really enjoyed it. What have you played lately?
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

The stuff that Telltale is making. That is; their new Monkey Island and Sam & Max stuff.
I can wholeheartedly recommend it.

In case you don't use Windows you will have to jump though some hoops though.
Wine works and since recently the new patch you can also use VMWare Workstation (Linux) or VMWare Fusion (Mac) to run it flawlessly.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

The DVD versions of Sam & Max work flawlessly with wine without having to change any settings.
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

Being from Germany I can't really complain about a lack of great adventures. The latest one, The Whispered World, is even a candidate for ScummVM some day because it is completely rendered in 2D. It's probably the most beautiful animated adventure I've ever played.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Bobbin wrote:Being from Germany I can't really complain about a lack of great adventures. The latest one, The Whispered World, is even a candidate for ScummVM some day because it is completely rendered in 2D. It's probably the most beautiful animated adventure I've ever played.
You are lucky -- not even the Book of Unwritten Tales has been released internationally, much less that one. Maybe I should learn German :)
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

KuroShiro wrote: You are lucky -- not even the Book of Unwritten Tales has been released internationally, much less that one. Maybe I should learn German :)
A native German talkie with English subtitles would be totally acceptable (for me). Can you get that, or is the thing 100% German as of now?
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

bobdevis wrote:
KuroShiro wrote: You are lucky -- not even the Book of Unwritten Tales has been released internationally, much less that one. Maybe I should learn German :)
A native German talkie with English subtitles would be totally acceptable (for me). Can you get that, or is the thing 100% German as of now?
Believe me, I would love that too. As far as I can tell the game has been released exclusively in Germany, and there have been no announcements concerning an international release.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Bobbin wrote:Being from Germany I can't really complain about a lack of great adventures. The latest one, The Whispered World, is even a candidate for ScummVM some day because it is completely rendered in 2D. It's probably the most beautiful animated adventure I've ever played.
It look really beautiful as you can see:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Whispered_World

Spot makes me remember Torin's Passage where there was another shapeshifting animal.

I personally just bought The Book of Unwritten Tales which costs € 24·97 at Amazon right now.
Then you should maybe try the Perry Rhodan (The Immortals of Terra) adventure. It isn't the newest game anymore but the graphics are awesome.

It seems that adventure games have become a typical German phenomenon - just like board games.
Rasi

Post by Rasi »

I have just completed the demo of The Whispered World. Honestly: This is by far the best adventure i have played since Monkey Island 3.. Everything is just the way it should be: Graphics, (Most) Voices, Humor (Yes.. no slapstick, we are talking REAL humor here) and a good part of melancholy too... wonderful.

Deadelic is the new LucasArts for me.. Their first adventure game (Edna bricht aus (Edna & Harvey on international market) was also very very nice, with a kind of Maniac Mansion feeling to it. If you find it, buy it, it even runs on linux.

Also their 2 other projects soon to be released look fantastic:
http://adventure-treff.de/artikel/vorschau.php?id=144
http://adventure-treff.de/artikel/vorschau.php?id=93

Sadly the demo of "The Whispered World" runs just fine in wine, but the full game does not because of the TAGES protection :/
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

*lol* Deponia. What if the whole world becomes a huge dump?

But you are right with The Whispered World. I haven't played the demo yet, but it seems to even top The Book of Unwritten Tales. This year was a great adventure year so far.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

OK, guys. I have almost finished BoUT, and so far it is terrific! So much fun, so many gags, I love the game. Did you know that in the Archmage's office there is a map of the world which actually has the same boundaries as Bavaria?

And there is a lot of playtime to spend on this title. I fear, the demo of The Whispered World will have to wait a bit longer...
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

Rasi wrote:Deadelic is the new LucasArts for me
Word! Without Europe adventures would be dead for years. Look at the Longest Journey (Norway), Still Life (France), The Lost Crown (UK), Sherlock Holmes (Ukraine), Memento Mori (Czech) or all the brilliant stuff from Germany.

What I like most about european developers are that they still do their adventures the old school way.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Bobbin wrote:
Rasi wrote:Deadelic is the new LucasArts for me
Word! Without Europe adventures would be dead for years. Look at the Longest Journey (Norway), Still Life (France), The Lost Crown (UK), Sherlock Holmes (Ukraine), Memento Mori (Czech) or all the brilliant stuff from Germany.

What I like most about european developers are that they still do their adventures the old school way.
Well, TLJ was published in 1999 when LEC still were producing adventure games like Grim Fandango themselves. The cut was two years later, and adventure gaming was first revived by Runaway and finally by Black Mirror. Since then, there were a lot of nice games like The Moment of Silence, the Ankh trilogy, Syberia, Secret Files Tunguska, Still Life, So Blonde, Simon the Sorcerer 4 + 5, Ceville etc. but none reached the quality of the old time games. Until BoUT and TWW were published.
And the new Frogwares Sherlock Holmes series really sucks in comparison to the old EA Lost Files series.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Those of you who are still waiting for english versions of The Book of Unwritten Tales and The Whispered World might like to enjoy Ceville meanwhile. It is not as good as the other ones but still a lot of fun.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Anyone who already played Still Life 2?