Problems with CD audio

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Graxer

Problems with CD audio

Post by Graxer »

The Secret of Monkey Island (Sega CD) has CD audio tracks. I converted these tracks to WAV files as detailed on the ScummVM DS website. I then played the game and it worked fine, with the music. However, when I went into the Scumm Bar there was a click and the music refused to play.

I left the Scumm Bar again and the music was back, then went back in again and the music stopped. The same thing happened to the Voodoo Lady's house track. This is odd, as some tracks seem to play while others don't. (I even tested the the WAV version of the Scumm Bar track im using in Windows Media Player and it plays perfectly)

Im not sure what the problem is here. The mp3s I have to use with the Windows version of ScummVM work perfectly.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Might be something for agentq to check. I know I've played it before on DS but I don't remember having that problem.
I didn't keep my converted .wavs so I can't try it straight away right now. I'd need to convert again.
Might be worth posting which version you used. 0.13.1 or the 1.0 beta or the 1.0 rc.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Sorry, it was the 1.0 rc.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Confirmed. No music in Scumm bar. I haven't tried anything else. I can't say I hear the click you mentioned but I wasn't using headphones.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I'll check on this next time I work on ScummVM.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I tried this today, and couldn't find any problem with the music in either the Scumm bar or the Voodoo Lady's house. What settings did you use for your WAV files? Are you both playing the game in English?

I started the game from the start, then entered the Scumm bar. The music played. I left the Scumm bar. The LeChuck scene played, along with LeChuck's music. Then I was outside the bar with the waves and ambient sounds playing. Then I entered the Scumm bar again and the music played as normal.

If you do these exact steps, does it work for you?
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

I am playing it in English, yes. I used the WAV settings (and instructions) listed here: http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/index.htm#cdaudio

My settings on ScummVM DS are:

Music Driver - Default
AdLib Emulator - Default
Output Rate - Default
Texta and Speech - Speech Only (Probably Irrelevant)
Subtitle Speed - 60 (Probably Irrelevent)

And yes, once I exit the ScummBar the LeChuck scene starts to play and the music returns, then I am returned back to the docks (with water sound effect track) but when I go back in to the Scumm Bar the music has gone again.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I've always used the CDex method from the guide using my Monkey Madness CD.

Type of flash card maybe? Or nDS phat or lite? I know in theory in shouldn't be but..
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Red_Breast wrote:Type of flash card maybe? Or nDS phat or lite? I know in theory in shouldn't be but..
NDS Phat using R4DS.
Red_Breast wrote:...from the guide using my Monkey Madness CD.
Since you have the problem too and (I think) Monkey Madness is a PC version, this seems to indicate that it is a general SOMI problem, not a Sega CD version problem.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Graxer wrote: And yes, once I exit the ScummBar the LeChuck scene starts to play and the music returns, then I am returned back to the docks (with water sound effect track) but when I go back in to the Scumm Bar the music has gone again.
If this was the desktop version of ScummVM, my guess would have been that the 8th audio track was missing from the game data folder. With the DS version, I have no idea really.
Graxer

Re: Problems with CD audio

Post by Graxer »

eriktorbjorn wrote:If this was the desktop version of ScummVM, my guess would have been that the 8th audio track was missing from the game data folder. With the DS version, I have no idea really.
Track 8 is present and correct:
Graxer wrote:I even tested the the WAV version of the Scumm Bar track im using in Windows Media Player and it plays perfectly
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Does anybody know if there are differences in the way the tracks are numbered/arranged on the CD?
Is it always a case of ripping tracks 02-25 off the CD and renaming to tracks 01-24 regardless of which version is used?
Later on I'll get the micro SD card and connect it to a card reader on a PC and see what number the Scumm bar music is.
I assume it's on the card somewhere.
Also if I recall correctly the console output is enabled by default on the nDS version. I'll have a look later.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Red_Breast wrote:Does anybody know if there are differences in the way the tracks are numbered/arranged on the CD?
Is it always a case of ripping tracks 02-25 off the CD and renaming to tracks 01-24 regardless of which version is used?
Later on I'll get the micro SD card and connect it to a card reader on a PC and see what number the Scumm bar music is.
I assume it's on the card somewhere.
Also if I recall correctly the console output is enabled by default on the nDS version. I'll have a look later.
For me the console says
Failed to open mp:/ScummVM/A/Secret of Monkey Island (Mega CD)/track8.wav!
It is there and it plays with Windows Media Player... Also there is the other tracks that work and I did them all in batch using CDex...

In fact, according to the console, quite a few tracks seem to be failing that I never noticed to be missing...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Graxer wrote: It is there and it plays with Windows Media Player... Also there is the other tracks that work and I did them all in batch using CDex...
I don't know if this applies to the DS port or not, but have you checked that there aren't any spaces in the file name? (It might seem silly, but sometimes it pays to rule out the simple explanations.)
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Graxer wrote: It is there and it plays with Windows Media Player... Also there is the other tracks that work and I did them all in batch using CDex...
I don't know if this applies to the DS port or not, but have you checked that there aren't any spaces in the file name? (It might seem silly, but sometimes it pays to rule out the simple explanations.)
I just checked, but there are no spaces.