Hook

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ERKAN

Hook

Post by ERKAN »

Here's another beauty I found that might go for ScummVM
Info:
Hook was the first and only adventure game published by Ocean, following roughly the plot of the movie. Developed by Shadow Software and released for the Amiga, Atari ST, and DOS, the game was a point and click adventure.
The initial pirate setting of Neverland brings to mind the Monkey Island series. The main objective was to escape the Pirate City, reach the Lost Boys' hideout and try to become Peter Pan in order to fight once more with Captain Hook.
Screens:
Can This one be added to ScummVM support list?
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Maybe the team could make a list of games they want to support in future, sorted by priority, that would prevent our questions about it. ;-)
dinx2582

Post by dinx2582 »

Wow! I had no idea there was a Hook adventure game. I wonder if it's any good...

The screenshots remind me of the art/rendering style from the Gobliiiins series, whether or not that means anything.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

For this to happen you at least need someone who has the game to be willing and capable to write the ScummVM code.

The Wikipedia entry on this game is a one-liner and the DOS version is not for sale on Ebay atm. This game appears to be really obscure. The chances of ScummVM support happening are not that big then.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

I have some leads to the creators, so, please, do not bother them in the meantime :)

Eugene
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

You personally know people in the development team, sev? Sounds pretty awesome!

I actually bought an original PC copy of this on eBay a while back for a fairly hefty sum (roughly £32!), but was rather annoyed to find that I can't get it working properly under DOSBox atm. The installation program keeps reporting an error after it finishes installing the files (the disks are 100% perfect from the way I've been able to copy everything off them I think), and I think it may be linked to the problem after you start the game where everything runs rather slow, your inventory looks empty (you're supposed to start off with four items usually), and you can't leave the first area at all. Not sure if this is an obscure protection check or not. Might ask on VOGONS about it.

BTW, a DOS copy can still be sought after on here for the time being. I personally think the Amiga version is better though (and I've yet to try the ST port).
paul0272

Post by paul0272 »

I had the Amiga version back in the day, I'm sure.

If I remember right, I wasn't expecting very much from it (big movie tie-ins are often quickly thrown together without bothering much about the quality), but I ended up really enjoying it. Definitely worth playing if you can track it down.
ERKAN

Post by ERKAN »

I must be the luckiest one here:
After we moved to a new flat, I found a lot of old floppies there and now that I started checking them, I found a lot of cool and valuable adventure games! :D
ERKAN

Post by ERKAN »

sev wrote:I have some leads to the creators, so, please, do not bother them in the meantime :)
Wait, I thought Ocean was defunct 10 years ago :shock:
ERKAN

Post by ERKAN »

dinx2582 wrote:Wow! I had no idea there was a Hook adventure game.
There are 4 Hook games!
See Wikipedia Article
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

ERKAN wrote:
sev wrote:I have some leads to the creators, so, please, do not bother them in the meantime :)
Wait, I thought Ocean was defunct 10 years ago :shock:
As are a lot of dev houses from back then.
That's probably what sev meant by 'leads'. A bit of detective work is involved like checking a game's manual for the names of the devs who worked at Ocean back then and try to track them down and find where they are now.
filipetolhuizen

Post by filipetolhuizen »

Hey, that looks pretty good! I would love to play it!
Orologiaio

Post by Orologiaio »

I had it on DOS back in the day, I'd love to play it again... gonna search the floppies and my old 486...
Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

Is there any updates for compatibility for this awesome adventure game?
Red Paladin

Post by Red Paladin »

Looks like a pretty interesting game...