Suggestion for improving the touchpad controls

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Echomote

Suggestion for improving the touchpad controls

Post by Echomote »

The lower resolution games; Monkey Island, Loom, etc. I believe would all be much better to control in portrait mode, with the keyboard minimizable and then that area (where the keyboard currently is) could also act as a touchpad. That way, your thumb wouldn't be in the way, and also, in my opinion, the unscaled graphics look much nicer.

Of course, the landscape mode would be unchanged.

Thanks for the port so far, especially since implementing touchpad. I'm loving it.
Mort

Post by Mort »

Just to echo this (maybe I have fat fingers). But if you could minimize the keyboard in portrait mode to use the space as part of the touchpad area, I'd love it too.

Even the official MI:SE gets annoying when I cant see where the cursors moving to because of my fingers.

And big thanks for the iPhone port. My N95 wasn't quite living up to the experience with some of the newer games, but the iPhone has truly brought ScummVM with me wherever I go now. Can't wait for the iPhone 3.0-ready version (hopefully with the Discworld Support as a 1.0 release)
manias

Post by manias »

Mort wrote:Just to echo this (maybe I have fat fingers). But if you could minimize the keyboard in portrait mode to use the space as part of the touchpad area, I'd love it too.

Even the official MI:SE gets annoying when I cant see where the cursors moving to because of my fingers.

And big thanks for the iPhone port. My N95 wasn't quite living up to the experience with some of the newer games, but the iPhone has truly brought ScummVM with me wherever I go now. Can't wait for the iPhone 3.0-ready version (hopefully with the Discworld Support as a 1.0 release)
The latest svn builds support discworld and 3.0 on the iphone!
Dyou know bout "touchpad mode" where you move the cursor while moving your finger elsewhere on the screen? So that should fix yer finger problem (i hope :p unless yer fingers are huuuge!)
Mort

Post by Mort »

manias wrote:Dyou know bout "touchpad mode" where you move the cursor while moving your finger elsewhere on the screen? So that should fix yer finger problem (i hope :p unless yer fingers are huuuge!)
Yeah, I use the touchpad mode. It's just a bit counter intuitive for me to be touching on the actual game screen (I usually use my thumbs to move the cursor, which do block a lot of what I'm looking at). So having the spare space at the bottom to use instead would be a bonus.

Not that I can't use it as-is, just thought that if it's a simple change then it gives an extra option to an already very versatile UI.

Might have to try one of the svn builds until v1.0. Was hoping that with official Discworld support there may be some compression options as well, so I can also fit some Music on my iScummVM :wink:
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Mort wrote: there may be some compression options as well, so I can also fit some Music on my iScummVM :wink:
If you mean in general, the iPhone port has supported MP3/Ogg/FLAC since the beginning :). If you mean the DW engine specifically, then I'm not sure about the status on support for that.

As to the request: It's not non-trivial due to how things are structured (the Objective-C bit of the backend will only send mouse-moved events to the C++ part if the movement is actually in the game area), but it's not a bad idea either. I'll keep it in mind for a later release :).