MT32 music: is it now possible on the 3GS ?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bsauvage

MT32 music: is it now possible on the 3GS ?

Post by bsauvage »

Hello!

Now that the new iphone 3GS has more power (higher frequency, new graphics processor...etc), would it have enough juice to be able to do MT32 music?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The new processor is not that much faster. So unless the old iPhone was already very close to being able to use the MT-32 emu, I don't think the 3GS will be able to do it either.

Maybe if somebody would write ARM optimized versions of some of the MT-32 emu core routines (like there are already intel asm versions)... but even then, I am not sure it would have a chance.

But let me stress that I never tried the MT-32 emu on an iPhone myself, so I am not sure how far from being usable it was/is, and so maybe there is a slim chance left.
bsauvage

Post by bsauvage »

Well it's always nice to have a dream ... !
canadacow

Post by canadacow »

Being both a very active iPhone developer (company here: Zinger-Soft ) and co-developer of MUNT (aka the MT-32 emulator) I know that in it's present form the iPhone will probably never be able to do MT-32 emulation in real time.

In fact, right before I had a big push for the new 3.0 versions of my iPhone apps, King Guppy, another individual and I were hard at work improving the emulator. We have temporarily switched everything in the code to using floating point until we have it all figured out. The consequence is that it barely runs on my Athlon X2 64 5600+ now, never mind an iPhone.
bsauvage

Post by bsauvage »

Thank you for your explanation.

No more dream for me ... !