Problems Encoding Audio when running 'compress_scumm_sou'

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ryuujinga

Problems Encoding Audio when running 'compress_scumm_sou'

Post by Ryuujinga »

OK, first of all, thank you for helping me to play my beloved older games again. Since the upgrade to Windows 2k, this has been all but impossible until your wonderful product came along. I've been really getting back into MI and the Dig (Didn't finish either of them) and I'm excited to get the chance to revisit these classics.

And now, here's my problem:
I'm trying to shrink down my audios so I can port them to PPC. When I run the compress utility, however, it spits at me. I've tried the ScummCompress scripts (great idea, BTW) but it fails every time with the same error (when it can find the files, that is. Some dir cleanup still needed.)

Anyway, I have the 'oggenc.exe' in the same directory along with 'compress_scummvm_sou' and the 'monster.sou' files. When I run the following command line, I get the below error back.

'compress_scumm_sou --vorbis -q 1 monster.sou'

--> ERROR:
'Voice file found (pos = 8) : Sound Data
- length = 64512
- sample rate = 22050 (d3)
- compression = 8bits (00)
'oggenc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Got error from encoder. (check your parameters)
Encoder Commandline: oggenc --raw --raw-chan=1 --raw-bits=8 --raw-rate=22050 --raw-endianness=1 --quality=1 --output=tempfile.ogg tempfile.raw'

oggenc is in the same directory. When I run the indicated command-line, it spits out a 'tempfile.ogg' but, looking at the code, it looks like 'compress' does some header/footer bit-twiddling that I can't do with tempfile.ogg.

I'm confused... I downloaded the tools again and have used 3 different 'oggenc' ports (including the one from ScummConvert) to the same avail. What the heck?!?
Jimbob

Re: Problems Encoding Audio when running 'compress_scumm_sou

Post by Jimbob »

Ryuujinga wrote:'compress_scumm_sou --vorbis -q 1 monster.sou'

--> ERROR:
'Voice file found (pos = 8) : Sound Data
- length = 64512
- sample rate = 22050 (d3)
- compression = 8bits (00)
'oggenc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Got error from encoder. (check your parameters)
Encoder Commandline: oggenc --raw --raw-chan=1 --raw-bits=8 --raw-rate=22050 --raw-endianness=1 --quality=1 --output=tempfile.ogg tempfile.raw'
I don't know if this will help, it's a long time since I've used Windows, but try putting oggenc.exe in the C:\Winnt\System32 or C:\Windows\System32 folder (whichever is on your hard disk, the first one I think) and try compressing the sound files again.

Jimbob
Ryuujinga

Post by Ryuujinga »

Jimbob wrote: I don't know if this will help, it's a long time since I've used Windows, but try putting oggenc.exe in the C:\Winnt\System32 or C:\Windows\System32 folder (whichever is on your hard disk, the first one I think) and try compressing the sound files again.

Jimbob
Thanks for the idea. It gets further (Why? I have no idea...) but crashes immediately at 'ERROR: Cannot open input file "tempfile.raw": No such file or directory'

am I missing something?...
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Ryuujinga wrote: Thanks for the idea. It gets further (Why? I have no idea...) but crashes immediately at 'ERROR: Cannot open input file "tempfile.raw": No such file or directory'

am I missing something?...
Hmmmm, do you have write permissions to the folder that contains the .SOU file? If you've copied the folder straight off a CD it may have the read only flag set.

Jimbob
Ryuujinga

Post by Ryuujinga »

Jimbob wrote: Hmmmm, do you have write permissions to the folder that contains the .SOU file? If you've copied the folder straight off a CD it may have the read only flag set.

Jimbob
Again, thanks for your help JimBob. Yes, I have write perms on all files in the folder. I have also verified the files are not read only...

You have any problems compressing with newest tools?

Thanks again.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Ryuujinga wrote:
Jimbob wrote: Hmmmm, do you have write permissions to the folder that contains the .SOU file? If you've copied the folder straight off a CD it may have the read only flag set.

Jimbob
Again, thanks for your help JimBob. Yes, I have write perms on all files in the folder. I have also verified the files are not read only...

You have any problems compressing with newest tools?

Thanks again.
Well I used the UNIX tools and they worked fine for me, as I said I don't have a Windows machine so I'm taking wild stabs in the dark to try to solve the problem.

I understand the files aren't read only but is the folder itself read only? I'm guessing the tempfile.raw (or whatever it's called) can't be created in the folder because the folder is read-only. Of course the tempfile.raw may be being created somewhere completely different.

When it crashed previously did you get any .ogg files at all?

Jimbob
Ryuujinga

Post by Ryuujinga »

Jimbob wrote: I understand the files aren't read only but is the folder itself read only? I'm guessing the tempfile.raw (or whatever it's called) can't be created in the folder because the folder is read-only. Of course the tempfile.raw may be being created somewhere completely different.
Nope, the directory is clean on permissions. I have admin rights to the folder and an attribute listing of all the files and folders shows all perms. I can rename Monster.SOU to Monster.SOU1 and back just fine.
Jimbob wrote: When it crashed previously did you get any .ogg files at all?
Jimbob
Nope, no .ogg files. Not finding the 'tempfile.raw' is weird because it's sitting in the same directory...

What the heck...
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Ryuujinga wrote:
Jimbob wrote: When it crashed previously did you get any .ogg files at all?
Jimbob
Nope, no .ogg files. Not finding the 'tempfile.raw' is weird because it's sitting in the same directory...

What the heck...
OK, here's my last guess / try ..... remove the tempfile.raw file in the folder and try to compress the .SOU file again. If this doesn't fix it then I think you'll need to cross you fingers for a nice Windows person to drop by and help you out.

Jimbob
Ryuujinga

Post by Ryuujinga »

Jimbob wrote: OK, here's my last guess / try ..... remove the tempfile.raw file in the folder and try to compress the .SOU file again. If this doesn't fix it then I think you'll need to cross you fingers for a nice Windows person to drop by and help you out.
Jimbob
I delete 'tempfile.*' and am still having the same problem. I tried it on another PC and got the exact same errors. (Missing 'oggenc' until I put it in Windows\Sys32 & Missing 'Tempfile.raw') It looks like the compress is skipping a step or something...
olki
ScummVM Developer

Post by olki »

I'm taking a wild stab here too as I don't use Windows either, but it looks like a path problem to me. Are you maybe running compress_scumm_sou directly from start->run as opposed to typing it into a command line shell? If that's the case, try using a shell and first "cd" into the directory containing compress_scumm_sou before running the command.
Ryuujinga

Post by Ryuujinga »

olki wrote:Are you maybe running compress_scumm_sou directly from start->run as opposed to typing it into a command line shell? If that's the case, try using a shell and first "cd" into the directory containing compress_scumm_sou before running the command.
Hey olki, thanks for your help.

No, I'm running the command from the command-line in the directory the files are. I'm a SysAdmin from the DOS days so I don't think I'm missing anything silly. (Don't get me wrong, I miss stupid stuff all the time... :wink: ) Is there a debug output of the tools? Or can anybody verify the DOS version of the tools work in the current build?

Thanks for any help. This is driving me NUTS... :shock:
Ryuujinga

Anybody else? Help? Plz...?

Post by Ryuujinga »

Anybody else have any suggestions? I'm having similar problems with 'Compress_Simon' and I'm afraid I'm doomed to always use the full-size files (No PocketPC for me... *Sighs*)

Are there older versions of the tools I might try? Is there a hidden debug output flag? Can I do the files manually with OggEnc somehow?
Anybody got the Compressed files available for FTP?

Thanks for any help...
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I'm still puzzled by this, I'm sure other Windows 2k users would be able to report their successes or failures at using this utility. The failure on tempfile.raw is bizarre because I think this is the extracted sample that is re-encoded using Oggenc.

Can you give us a complete list of the files in the directory? Not sure if it will help but you never know.

As for getting the compressed files via FTP, I think this is a big no because of copyright issues. I'm not calling you a liar or anything but we can't verify that you do actually have the original games.

Jimbob
Ryuujinga

Post by Ryuujinga »

Jimbob wrote:Can you give us a complete list of the files in the directory? Not sure if it will help but you never know.
Yeah, sure. Here's a dir>txt after a failed compress of Atlastis' MONSTER.SOU.

Code: Select all

Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is 84E1-A5CE

Directory of C:\ZMachine\Abow\ScummVM\Games\Atlantis

02/06/2006  09&#58;45 AM    <DIR>          .
02/06/2006  09&#58;45 AM    <DIR>          ..
01/13/2006  10&#58;09 PM    <DIR>          Atlantis
05/05/1993  05&#58;00 AM            12,035 ATLANTIS.000
05/05/1993  05&#58;00 AM         9,823,920 ATLANTIS.001
01/14/2006  01&#58;40 AM               523 atlantis.bat
01/20/2006  07&#58;44 PM    <DIR>          AtlantisSource
10/29/2005  10&#58;18 AM            15,360 compress_scumm_sou.exe
02/06/2006  09&#58;45 AM                 0 dirlist.txt
05/05/1993  05&#58;00 AM       149,867,609 MONSTER.SOU
11/21/2005  09&#58;43 AM           424,960 oggenc.exe
02/06/2006  09&#58;44 AM                10 tempfile.dat
02/06/2006  09&#58;44 AM                12 tempfile.idx
02/06/2006  09&#58;44 AM             8,783 tempfile.raw
              10 File&#40;s&#41;    160,153,212 bytes
               4 Dir&#40;s&#41;   3,347,554,304 bytes free
Here's the ATTRIB's of each file too...

Code: Select all

A          C&#58;\ZMachine\Abow\ScummVM\Games\Atlantis\ATLANTIS.000
A          C&#58;\ZMachine\Abow\ScummVM\Games\Atlantis\ATLANTIS.001
A          C&#58;\ZMachine\Abow\ScummVM\Games\Atlantis\atlantis.bat
A          C&#58;\ZMachine\Abow\ScummVM\Games\Atlantis\compress_scumm_sou.exe
A          C&#58;\ZMachine\Abow\ScummVM\Games\Atlantis\dirlist.txt
A          C&#58;\ZMachine\Abow\ScummVM\Games\Atlantis\MONSTER.SOU
A          C&#58;\ZMachine\Abow\ScummVM\Games\Atlantis\oggenc.exe
A          C&#58;\ZMachine\Abow\ScummVM\Games\Atlantis\tempfile.dat
A          C&#58;\ZMachine\Abow\ScummVM\Games\Atlantis\tempfile.idx
A          C&#58;\ZMachine\Abow\ScummVM\Games\Atlantis\tempfile.raw
Jimbob wrote: As for getting the compressed files via FTP, I think this is a big no because of copyright issues. I'm not calling you a liar or anything but we can't verify that you do actually have the original games.

Jimbob
Yeah, I kinda figured that one. I was hoping the compressed OGG wasn't as important as the game data but I suppose it's all copywritten. Oh well...

Thanks for your help, Jimbob.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I don't know if this will help but can you convert some other sound file with oggenc? My last guess at trying to solve the problem is there's something stopping oggenc from working ... maybe a missing DLL or something. Again, this is a complete and utter guess so I don't expect it's true :)