scummvm 0.8.0 and IPAQ rx1950 (WM5)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

beelzebubi

scummvm 0.8.0 and IPAQ rx1950 (WM5)

Post by beelzebubi »

Hi scummvm forum,

I'm having problems running scummvm 0.8.0 on my IPAQ rx1950 (running windows mobile 5).
When I start scummvm, the sceen looks quite strange (it seems to crash; see screenshot) and I can't do anything more than soft-resetting the IPAQ.

Did I miss something out or is it a bug in scummvm 0.8.0?

Thanks for the great work
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

I have an idea as to why this happens. Please wait for the 0.8.1 release, then report back. What is the resolution of your device? Any other users have this problem?
beelzebubi

Post by beelzebubi »

hi knakos,

thanks for the quick reply. this PDA uses the standard resolution of 320x240 pixels. scummvm shows this behaviour in both portrait (240x320) and landscape (320x240) modes.
Arisme
ScummVM Porter

Post by Arisme »

Is a crash report created ? (root of the device \Scummvm_crash_dump ...)
beelzebubi

Post by beelzebubi »

no, there's no crash report.
sometimes two files remain (scummvm_stderr and scummvm_stdout) but both are empty.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Can you try out 0.8.1, both for windows mobile & ppc2002?

Arisme: If you take a look at the shot, scummvm is running in the background. The explorer window obscures scummvm. I think always calling GXOpenDisplay at startup, regardless if the ozone mode is finally selected, and the GXCloseDisplay and setting HWND_TOP for the window should be enough. These are probably in the sdl port. (Note: I haven't check out that part of the code yet. You may be doing these things already).
Arisme
ScummVM Porter

Post by Arisme »

Yes I thought this was a crash but didn't notice the mouse pointer :wink:

I don't understand how such a thing could happen
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Please try this: Make a shortcut to scummvm in the windows\start menu (\games) folder, and try running scummvm from the start menu, with only the desktop showing (no open windows or the file explorer).
beelzebubi

Post by beelzebubi »

hi there,

sorry for the delay....
I've tried 0.8.1 but it didn't work.
Knakos clue with the shortcut in the start menu didn't work either.

I've made a small video (mov, 1.4mb), but I have no webspace. I could send it via mail if it's requested.
-kb-

Post by -kb- »

Hello everyone.

I am also an owner of an IPAQ rx1950 and I experience just the same problems which were expained before. I am running (better: trying to run) scummvm verson 0.8.1 (downloaded a few hours ago) and tried to start it in different ways. When started from the Explorer I get the same effects as 'beelzebubi'. I also tried to run it using a shortcut in my start menu. In this case I am able to see the scummvm screen, but I am unable to use the mouse or interact in any way - the hp startup screen or at least its menu buttons reappear by clicking somewhere... I noticed that the top bar is missing which makes it impossible to close any running applications.

I've attached two links to screenshots I just made (poor quality, sorry):

This is an image taken after running scummvm from the menu (shortcut). The rectangle in the top left corner looks like a mouse pointer.
The second image was taken after moving the pda-pen over the menu without clicking

Kai
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Hey, cool desktop :) Aside that, I haven't encountered this issue thus far, but I'll see if we can do something about it.

Kostas
rherd

Post by rherd »

Hey all you fellow Rx1950 owners...

First off, a tip for you... Run a task manager and assign a hardware button to it... Or at least assign a hardware button to the start menu, so you can get to Settings>Memory... This way if any programs are misbehaving you can usually use the hardware button to get into your taskman/memory settings to end task the app... Just avoids the need to soft reset so much...

Now, re the problems, I can't get the source to build before I start making changes to make this work with my Rx1950... (I've given up to be honest)...

However, you can all still download version 0.7.1, which works absolutely fine with the Rx1950... This will keep you playing your scumm games until knakos works out a patch...

PS - fantastic work fellas...

Cheers
Arisme
ScummVM Porter

Post by Arisme »

0.7.1 works well ? argh, now that means I'll have to see the changes done in SDL between this build and 0.8.x. Considering I lost one hard disk and possibly some stealthy SDL patches between those, it's going to be fun :roll:
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

At the risk of crashing & resetting your ppc once more, can you try out the version here: http://users.uoa.gr/~knakos/scummvm_PPC ... _12_04.zip. It's 0.8.0. (this is not a hack in the dark, just trying to determine which version of sdl does what to whom)
Rob1LoL

Post by Rob1LoL »

Hi,

I can confirm that the build you posted works on RX1950 knackos