No System File Found on boot up

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Petty

No System File Found on boot up

Post by Petty »

Alright, so I installed and extracted the SCUMMVM nds files onto my SD card and when I boot it up, I get the error "No system file found! Put system file in"

Here's what did step-by-step:

+ booted the SD card, downloaded the scummvm .13 zip
+ unzipped the file, cut and pasted all the files in that folder to the actual card (so it wasn't contained in a folder)
+ unzipped Secret of Monkey Island onto the SD card, but kept it contained in its own folder
+ downloaded the DLDI for my M3 card reader
+Plugged my sd card into the M3 and booted my DS

I'm sure I'm probably doing SOMETHING wrong and that this is an easy fix. Any answers?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Looking through the steps the only one that sounds a little ??? is "unzipped Secret of Monkey Island."

Now it might be that you keep all your game files zipped. But because so many people come to this web site and don't read the rules first and are caught out I refer you to forum
rule #0
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=17

Please note I'm not accusing you of anything at this time. I'm just trying to help.
Petty

Post by Petty »

I do keep all my game files zipped, but I didn't think there would be a problem with that. :\

Am I supposed to get a certain screen that pops up even when I DON'T have games on the SD card, or will my error screen pop up if I don't have anything?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I'm glad you didn't take it the wrong way. Indeed years ago when storage was much more expensive compression and archiving was much more popular. But these days it tends to point towards something else.

Have you used ScummVM on any other platform?
I'll use Windows as an example. You have the main .exe, the sdl.dll and the .zip which has the interface. If you remove the .zip from the folder and start ScummVM.exe it will start in Classic mode menu interface. You can also see it without moving the .zip under options. You can use Classic mode or Modern mode.
Well because of the DS limitations it only uses Classic mode.
If you start the .nds (buildA for SCUMM engine games) you should see this menu.
I started looking at the Secret..zip as I was thinking you might have corrupt game data. But if you can't get the build A classic menu up then it's something else.
Can you see any sort of ScummVM .ini file on the SD card?
Petty

Post by Petty »

No, there's no .ini file on my card.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

The .ini will generate itself once you've started one of the thumbs. (The .nds build A, B etc are called Thumbs)
An .ini is basically a text file with your settings.

I'm trying to work out where your error message is appearing.
"No system file found! Put system file in"

I don't have much experience with cards that need DLDI patching. I started playing with nDS homebrew last year with a CycloDS Evo that does auto-patching. But I have a feeling that it's where the problem is coming from.

I've just had a look at this page
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/index. ... eadernotes
It has instructions for M3 CF/SD (twice for some reason), and further on for M3DS Real.

Did you follow those instructions?
Petty

Post by Petty »

Yeah, I have an M3 DS real... so I thought I didn't need to patch it. When I first got the error, I threw the DLDI patch on there to be sure that it didn't need it and I still got the error. :\
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

The M3 cards need certain files to be on the SD card before they will work at all. You should have these files on the CD that came with your M3, or you can download them. I haven't got a link to hand though.