The Curse of Monkey Island on Nokia 5800

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nicefella

The Curse of Monkey Island on Nokia 5800

Post by nicefella »

Hi!
I've read all the topics on this forum I could find about MI3 but didn't find any solution of running the game with Music/Speech/Sounds on. Some dude on some other forum mentioned the game runs flawlessly on his N95 8GB (I suppose flawlessly means the sounds are also working). So if I put output quality of sound to 8kHz I can play the game for a bit in the beginning but then all the sounds disappear and the game stops responding (game menu works though so I can quit the game). As much (little) as I've heard the voice acting in the game I think it's great and wouldn't like to miss it. So is there any solution I may have missed like compressing/settings/smthg else or is it possible that the game would work properly on the next version of ScummVM? Nokia 5800, ScummVM 0.13.1, Monkey Island 3. Thanks in advance!
bacardiandwatermelon

Post by bacardiandwatermelon »

I think I may have the same issue. Scummvm works fine on windows but when running on symbian (N97) I have issues. Basically I have no sound when selecting mega monkey, the intro works fine, then there is no music when loading part 1 and when guybrush says his first line the game freezes. However if I turn text and speech to subtitles only the game works fine with no sound. Anything I should try?
bacardiandwatermelon

Post by bacardiandwatermelon »

I better add that I managed to get sound now by re copying the files from the cd, but the sounds and game stop after about 5 seconds...
delete

Post by delete »

I'm running this game in Samung innov8 without any sound issues, it works great. I'm having another issue in the scummvm menu i have load/save buttons grayed, are you having this problem too?
delete

Post by delete »

disgard my last message. It appears gray is i use the menu that appears when i touch the 0 key, it's ok using the * key.
Danicom

Post by Danicom »

I have the same Problem with the sound on my nokia 5800 (referring to:The Curse of Monkey Island).
When the sound stops the game goes on working till one moment ca. 3-4 mins, then the console pops up and gives some kind of "sound-error" -> crash

can't get it work without sound either

has someone now a workaround that works well?

thanks for the help, I've searched the internet and all over this forum and still no solution.
arthursantossp

Post by arthursantossp »

I face the same problem with my i8910...
MI3 starts fine, sound is ok, but after a few seconds, when the little pirate start talking, the sound stop and the game became unstable...

After some minutes, game crashes with the error message:

ERROR: (11:29:0xD44): ImuseDigiSndMgr::openSound() Unknown soundType 0 (trying to load sound 0)
Danicom

Post by Danicom »

That's exactly the same problem I experienced,

I think the problem is related to the software / Port of scummvm, something doesn't work the way it should be on symbian as on for example windows pc.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

I tried using a compressed audio version i made, but evidently, symbian port doesn't support OGG compression? Because I wasn't hearing anything. Please someone confirm.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

It does support OGG, but if its crashing you won't hear anything anyhow. Also keep bitrates LOW to reduce memory and diskreading overhead.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

no, it doesn't crash, I just don't hear anything, at all. whenever a character starts to talk, nothing is happening and it seems like it froze, but it doesn't actually freeze, because if i pull out the keyboard and press ESC it keeps going.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

Okay, did some more testing and here are the results:

Uncompressed: game has sound, but it stops the moment there's a crossfade between the music segments (usually after the music for the chapter screen ends...)

Ogg Compressed: No sound at any moment.

MP3 compressed: same as OGG.

FLAC: untested yet.

also another bug i noticed is that sometimes the talking animation on Guybrush will keep going on an endless loop, even if he's not supposed to be talking. Seems related.

Note that the game doesn't actually 'freeze' at any moment. If someone is supposed to speak and there's no sound, the game just waits until the sound is finished, and because there IS no sound, it will remain like that until you skip the line (press the dot button on the keyboard).
That's my 2 cents... 8)
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

Okay, more info (I hope someone is reading this.. :\)

Tried 'the dig' and 'full throttle' (mp3 compressed, worked perfectly on PC), and both didn't have any music working (cutscenes had sound,tho). 'the dig' also didn't have any speech. There's obviously a problem with scumm games that use a digital sound for music. Can someone who understands this check it out?

edit: Correction - Full Throttle DOES have music. But when I played it after 'return to launcher' from the dig, it doesn't. Playing it after a clean restart of scummvm works great. 'The dig' is still silent, tho.

maybe a long shot, but afaik, doesn't 'the dig' and CoMI use the version of the scumm engine?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

What bitrates are you using for compressing that audio. I have compressed audio for lost in time(mp3) and that works perfectly. Mp3 bitrates are around 48/64 kbps. remember higher bitrates makes things worse for the phone.

I will compress my original copy of the Dig with ogg (bun files) to see how it works. Well keep default quality at 3
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Running the dig on 6120 classic with default ogg/vorbis compression. Only compressed voice and music. Both work very well indeed.
Also works fine after returning to launcher and restarting.

There is definatly something with the 5800, not sure what though. But generally the audio ogg and mp3 should work.