The Curse of Monkey Island on Nokia 5800

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mataku

Post by Mataku »

well, maybe there's something different more than just an added touch function between s60v5 and the earlier version. Because as stated in this thread, there's also the same problem with the n97 and i8910, which also uses v5.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

Is there any progress on this?
Anotherguest, could you possibly make a scumm only version of the svn, to see maybe that should fix it? Or maybe there is one already somewhere? :oops:

I tried CoMI again with original uncompressed files, and it crashed (for the first time for me) with the 'load sound 0' error. Even if i turn to subs only and mute all, still crashes (less then 5 seconds into the game, you can hardly make a move), but with compressed files, there's no sound at all, but it never crashes. EVER! so now the only issue is to make compressed files work. I'm no expert (as you might have guessed), but I think that with a little tweaking, it's possible to run this game flawlessly. I mean, DW2 works great, and it's about the same specifications as CoMI, so why not?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Yes a bug in the 1.0rc version in SDL makes this version abit strange. not sure why it works badly on V5. So no further improvements interms of playability with sound in v5
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

could you maybe release a version that only has the scumm engine in it, just to see if it fixes it?
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

heard there's a new firmware for 5800 (V31.0.008) that supposedly gives you more RAM on boot, so anyone who's willing to test MI3 on it, please do.
phips

Post by phips »

On my i8910 (with lots of free ram) MI3 does not work properly either (Same issues as described throughout this thread).
I think this is a a problem with s60v5 in general and new firmwares will not help...

In the meantime I am playing DOTT for the first time... starts a bit slow but I see now how it became one of THE classics 8)
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Works fine on E71 but not on V5. Might be the graphics mode that is causing problems perhaps? Not sure what else it might be. COMI is a strange thing on the v5 phones right now
bluppfisk

Post by bluppfisk »

phips wrote:On my i8910 (with lots of free ram) MI3 does not work properly either (Same issues as described throughout this thread).
I think this is a a problem with s60v5 in general and new firmwares will not help...

In the meantime I am playing DOTT for the first time... starts a bit slow but I see now how it became one of THE classics 8)
Moreover: it seems impossible to adjust subtitle / text speed in either ScummVM's or CMI's configuration menu... Related? It's always slow.

I too have the same problem.
cururu

Post by cururu »

Hi,

On My 5800XM (S60v5) works smoothly the following games:(till 2 hrs of play)

Full Throttle
The DIG

My 5800XM firmware is: 20.2.014, and I am using the scummvm version 1.0.0rc1-s60-v3.

Other games i haven't tested yet.

The only problem is the sound, too low... I tried playing MP3 before scummvm, during the game also, but didnt work.

Any others suggestions for low sound?
dantist

Post by dantist »

Another problem with ScummVM on the 5800 is that even with the lowest volume-setting the music in e.g. Monkey Island 1 is way too loud. Adjusting the settings in ScummVM won't affect the loudness. Firmware is 20.x
bluppfisk

Post by bluppfisk »

On Day of the Tentacle, the subtitle speed is not possible to adjust through the ScummVM control panel on the 5800XM.
bluppfisk

Post by bluppfisk »

this needs a bump!
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Might be a generic Scumm bug (engine). Please report a bug in the tracker.
bluppfisk

Post by bluppfisk »

Done so. I'm anxious to see this work :)
trunksi

Post by trunksi »

Is there any progress ont this? I'm using nokia 5530 but i have the same problem. After I finish talking to the small pirate the game crashesh (Debugger console shows with an error msg). Also no sound.. actually no sounds isn't such a problem if the game runs.

I read some posts on the forum and some ppl say that the game runs smoothyl on the previous version of scummvm (with no virtual keyboard and all sounds turned off.. but doesn't crash) but that isn't the case on 5530 .. COMI crashesh at the same point like on the new version.