Themes?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

spinal

Themes?

Post by spinal »

I tried editing the modern theme a little, just a couple of colour changes at first. I renamed the zip file, stuck it in the folder with the other theme, but it doesn't show in the menu :( it works fine on the windows build, but i can't even see it on the wii :cry:

Any ideas anyone?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Yes, there is plenty of documentation. In your particular case it seems that you forgot to update THEMERC file.

Eugene
spinal

Post by spinal »

ah, ok. it works a bit now, keeps causing scummvm to return to the homebrew menu though.

Are there no tools for creating themes? I just don't understand why people like using xml for stuff when a simple .ini file would work fine.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

spinal wrote:ah, ok. it works a bit now, keeps causing scummvm to return to the homebrew menu though.

Are there no tools for creating themes? I just don't understand why people like using xml for stuff when a simple .ini file would work fine.
Because a "simple" .ini file is not simple in complex things as themes, and can be lacking in features
spinal

Post by spinal »

Are there any actual guides for creating themes?
I can't my theme to even show in the list :(

Wii theme via megaupload.

Anyone got any idea why it doesn't show? It works fine in windows scummvm.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

You don't really state what your problem is, making it somewhat difficult to help you. What doesn't show where?
spinal

Post by spinal »

The theme itself doesn't show in the theme list.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I think he means he can't get his theme to show in the theme select list.

EDIT: Never mind.
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Have you put the theme in the right place? I.e. the themepath. If it's not in there, obviously it cannot find it.
Also, you *must* change the internal name of the theme (in THEMERC), else ScummVM will think it's a duplicate of another theme and not show it.
MusicallyInspired

Just tried it. It shows up in the list for me, but when I select it it crashes back to the Homebrew Channel like you said.
spinal

Post by spinal »

Any ideas why it would work on the windows version, but not the Wii? Does the zip need to be names specifically or anything weird like that? All I did was edit the modern theme, there shouldn't be anything missing from it or anything like that.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

spinal wrote:Any ideas why it would work on the windows version, but not the Wii? Does the zip need to be names specifically or anything weird like that? All I did was edit the modern theme, there shouldn't be anything missing from it or anything like that.
Different screen resolution I assume?

And besides, there is a policy that we do not accept any name changes, and all ports have to stay "ScummVM." Thus, there is no chance that your modification will be listed anywhere on official sites of the project.

Eugene
spinal

Post by spinal »

sev wrote:
spinal wrote: Different screen resolution I assume?

And besides, there is a policy that we do not accept any name changes, and all ports have to stay "ScummVM." Thus, there is no chance that your modification will be listed anywhere on official sites of the project.

Eugene
ports? this is a theme, not a port, you're confusing me. I'm trying to create a theme so that the [pre-existing] Wii port of ScummVM could look a little more Wii-like. Anyhow, I'll start again, that usually works for me.

[edit] That's it, I give up. this is insane.
I had the theme working, it showed up in the menu, I selected it, it loaded. Just to be sure, I quit scummvm and reloaded it, the theme was working fine, although for some reason, hitting the options button caused it to crash. There was only one thing left to do, that was to rename it, so that anyone using it would no overwrite their scummmodern.zip with this one. I renamed the zip and edited the THEMERC file to read [SCUMMVM_STX0.4:ScummVM Wii Theme:Spinal]... guess what, now it didn't show in the list!!!!! the best part is though, I changed both the filename and the THEMERC back to the originals and it still doesn't show in the list! WTF!!
I bid you all good day, I might not be back.
MusicallyInspired

I think he's just saying you can't change the logo to "ScummWiiM" it has to be "ScummVM" otherwise it won't get posted or supported on any official ScummVM sites?
spinal

Post by spinal »

Doesn't make any difference, either the Wii port is F***ed up, or the theme format is, either way, a theme shouldn't appear or disappear from the theme list for no reason.