What USB Version does ScummVM for Wii use?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Good question. COMI (even on the earlier revision that it works better on) is still pretty slow on USB.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

no post
Last edited by Red_Breast on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Yeah, I got that :).
Mr_Nick666

Post by Mr_Nick666 »

Red_Breast wrote:I'm not sure if Dhewg wants cIOS USB2.0 in Wii ScummVM.
I don't think it needs it personally.
Faster loading can never be a bad thing! Some games would certainly benefit from faster access times.
Red_Breast wrote:As for WankyCocoa I wouldn't touch one thing that guy's had his hands on. He's a disgrace to homebrew. As long as there are people like him the boundaries between homebrew and pirating will always be blurred and companies like Nintendo will always see homebrew as the same as pirating.
Sage words indeed. Although, and certainly with emulators, there is always piracy with homebrew. I wonder how many people using this forum can honestly say they own originals for all the games they play. As for the USB2 CIOS itself it's all legal and legit else Wiibrew wouldn't be hosting it. :wink:
Destian

Post by Destian »

Red_Breast wrote:Dhewg looks after the official port. So it's he's decision. What I know of him he'd want to pour over every line of code and he might not be happy with it.
Whatever he's the person to ask. He coded part of Bootmii and IRC is probably the best place to get him.
I'm talking about stable versions and Buildbot versions of ScummVM now.

But you can of course try building your own version of Wii ScummVM with cIOS USB2.0.

edit:
(I wasn't answering you directly Musically. Rather some of the posters with a smaller post count.)

I thought it might help to explain how it all works in case they didn't know. For example Bossk's builds are unofficial although I think they're exactly the same and up until recently (Buildbot) they were the only source for regular unstable binaries.
(I'm OK building my own Windows and Linux binaries but when I tried a Wii build once I became stuck. The next time I tried the build process had changed and I got stuck again.
Now with Buildbot I don't feel the need to build my own.)
I don't know how to code anything but html/css/php so I wouldn't know where to begin. I completely understand if no one has taken the time to include it yet, or even if no one with the ability has the desire to take that time. I just don't understand why a decision would be made to intentionally keep it out.

Now I'll just thank everyone who has worked on this project thus far and note that I would love to see faster transfer speeds in the Wii port and leave it at that.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

no post
Last edited by Red_Breast on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

To say it explicitly: The forum is not the right place to request features. Many of our devs don't read it at all, or only occasionally. In this case, your best bet would be to directly contact dhewg, resp. file a feature request via our feature request tracker.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

Yeah, I'm more an IRC than a forum guy :)

About cIOS:
It's an ugly hack, its badly written. Well written is the wrong word - its copy&paste from the linux kernel source and hacked so it works on the Wii.
It requires you to install questionable software made for warez loaders done by warez monkeys.
On top of that there are multiple versions, afaict they may not be compatible with each other.

ScummVM for Wii currently uses vanilla IOSs to communicate with, this limits USB to 1.1. On top of that, the USB driver in IOS does not perform well - but its still enough to play ScummVM games without hickups.

Some of you mentioned that the USB performance was good with older versions, and at some point it got bad. I'm more interested in hunting down the cause of this and fixing it instead of poisoning the code and giving users the impression that installing cIOS is recommended or even required.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

no post
Last edited by Red_Breast on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

no post
Last edited by Red_Breast on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

I'm too busy lately to even have thought about my Wii.
All my builds were built against the very latest libogc/libfat of that time (dhewg's git).

After next wednesday I will have more spare time again to try.

What I could do is make a large series of builds (latest scummvm checkout), all built against the a different libogc/libfat version.
That may at least give some hint where the USB performance started dropping.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

no post
Last edited by Red_Breast on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

no post