What USB Version does ScummVM for Wii use?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Destian

What USB Version does ScummVM for Wii use?

Post by Destian »

I'm asking because The Secret of Monkey Island seemed to run better off of my SD card than it does of my USB HDD.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

I tried the latest SVN version available on the Homebrew Browser, and suddenly Curse of Monkey Island and the Broken Sword games are unbearably slow. (I'm running off of USB too) This is odd because they ran so well in previous SVNs.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I haven't tried any other games on the most recent SVNs that have been released here, but the only problem I had was with SoMI where there were hiccups and jumps in the music and all glitching out. Was also running off USB flash drive. Switching back my previous SVN fixed the problem. I don't have enough room on my SD card for the 7GB or thereabouts of ScummVM games I have!
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

no post
Last edited by Red_Breast on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr_Nick666

Post by Mr_Nick666 »

I've had performance issues with the latest build by Bossk. His previous one had large speed performance on USB though so I'd stick with that one (scummvm-wii-0.14.0svn_r41094).
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

Could you guys please tell me exaxtly which builds had good USB performance and which had poor performance?

And is it only USB performance, or is SD performance bad too?

I don't have much time at all to test myself, but will look into it after the weekend.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

My version is:

0.14.0svn_r41364 - It has poor performance. (Only tested with USB due to the fact that I only have a small SD card, and the bigger games like CoMI and Broken Sword are the problems.)
Destian

Post by Destian »

I was originally playing SoMI on v13.1 and an SD card (as I had some trouble getting my USB HDD to work). The sounds was a little glitchy, so I put some time into getting the HDD working, thinking that would help. This actually made the sound moderately worse. I then decided to try scummvm-wii-0.14.0svn_r41094 which made the sound worse still. It wasn't awful and the game was still completely playable. It was just a little annoying.

I am not playing Day of the Tentacle on a USB HDD and scummvm-wii-0.14.0svn_r41094 and everything is fine.

Would it be difficult to add USB 2.0 support? Would this perhaps solve some issues?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

no post
Last edited by Red_Breast on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_Nick666

Post by Mr_Nick666 »

On the USB2 CIOS at Wiibrew there is notes for coders to add it into homebrew. :wink:
Bossk wrote:Could you guys please tell me exaxtly which builds had good USB performance and which had poor performance?
scummvm-wii-0.14.0svn_r41094 had far better USB performance than the latest build (scummvm-wii-0.14.0svn_r41364).
luke_70it

USB drive compatibility

Post by luke_70it »

My usb HDD is not compatible with standatd USB ios rev3, but works fine with hermes version of cios202...
If you plan to make use of USB2 for next releases of wii scummvm, it would be great to have support for hermes cios or waninkoko latest cios v13 (it works too with my drive)!!!

Thank you
Luca
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

no post
Last edited by Red_Breast on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
luke_70it

Post by luke_70it »

If wii scummvm developers don't want to use cios, i respect this.
BTW piracy isn't related to software, but to the way you use it.
To run homebrew on Wii we must use an exploit that is, strictly, piracy since permits to run non signed software on a system that only run signed programs...

I think usb2 would be very useful for wii homebrews, specially for scummvm, since some of the eulated adventures require fast access to device.

Ciao
Luca
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I just tried COMI playing from a USB drive with the latest revision SVN and the gameplay is HORRIFICALLY slow compared to 41094, which I rolled back to as a result.
Destian

Post by Destian »

Red_Breast wrote:I'm not sure if Dhewg wants cIOS USB2.0 in Wii ScummVM.
I don't think it needs it personally.
There is a clear upside, and as far as I can see, no downside. Am I missing one? What reason is there not to include USB 2.0 support?