Sanitarium Engine - All help is welcome

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Longcat

Post by Longcat »

This is such a great year for ScummVM(me)!
Julien
ScummVM Developer

Post by Julien »

Yep, I'm working on it a bit to take a short break from LastExpress hardcoded logic :evil:

Not much to see yet alas. All the script opcodes have been implemented as well as some of the hardcoded chapter logic, but there are a couple of bugs that prevent the actor from showing properly (the missing method has been implemented since then, as it was bothering both me and alex to have the engine stop randomly :roll: )

I've been working on cleaning up the rest of the classes (Scene is still underway and the display bugs are most certainly somewhere there). The other scenes are loading a bit further and script start executing on some of them (and it quickly stops because some of the hardcoded logic is still stubbed).
skid

Post by skid »

Thanks for the insight, Julien. Keep it up!
sunny99

Is this Dead?

Post by sunny99 »

Please tell me this is still being worked on, even if it is slow?

I've looked at the work you've done on the asylumengine and I can understand why its taking so long.

I would like to test what you've done so far the screenshots look amazing, but I have know idea how to even start getting your work onto the scummvm program :S

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Thanks - P.s this is my first post, join specifically for this topic - one of my favorite games of all time.

Sunny
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

Yes, I also saw that you made enormous progress the last months. Hope you keep it up. Can't wait to play this game again.
woodoste

Post by woodoste »

Hi, is the project still work in progress?
I hope so! :-)
Deledrius

Post by Deledrius »

Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

And there I was thinking that work on it has dramatically slowed down. Great to hear it's moving along fine, can't wait to play it!
Julien
ScummVM Developer

Post by Julien »

For people that compile their own version of ScummVM, you can also look at my tree for changes: https://github.com/Littleboy/scummvm/tree/asylum

Since last week there have been quite a few changes and you can now move out of the cell 8)
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

When will sanitarium work in scummvm ???
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

tomorrow. around 6:15 pm, central standard time.
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

scoriae wrote:tomorrow. around 6:15 pm, central standard time.
This posts wasn't very helpful. :x
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

fischkopf wrote:This posts wasn't very helpful. :x
Your question wasn't either. I've seen so many open source projects - things take their time, just wait. Take a look here to see the current progress:

https://github.com/alexbevi/scummvm/commits/asylum

Judging from current commits I'd suppose the game will be supported till the end of next year. But that's just my personal assumption.
maximus

Post by maximus »

Bobbin wrote:
fischkopf wrote:This posts wasn't very helpful. :x
Your question wasn't either. I've seen so many open source projects - things take their time, just wait. Take a look here to see the current progress:

https://github.com/alexbevi/scummvm/commits/asylum

Judging from current commits I'd suppose the game will be supported till the end of next year. But that's just my personal assumption.
Littleboy blogged about the progress here. Since Alexandre and I had to step back from this engine, Littleboy has been the driving force behind getting this engine into a playable state.

He's currently focusing his efforts on a different engine (which appears to be progressing very nicely).

The asylum engine is about 80% completed, but I don't think it will be ready for prime-time anytime soon :( It is, though, open source, so if anyone wants to participate in the final 20%, fork it on github and have at 'er :P
killcake

Post by killcake »

Hey All

Does anyone know what the status is of the asylum engine at this point? Does it not work at all, partially work, work 100%? It looks like progress has tapered off over the last few months, unfortunately... I'm just chiming in to express that there is still a high amount of interest in getting Sanitarium running on ScummVM. :)

Thanks for all of the work you fine developers have put in so far!