Sanitarium Engine - All help is welcome

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Keep up the great work guys. I too love Sanitarium and think you are doing a marvelous job:)
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

this game sounds interesting & i'm looking forward to being able to play it too :D
jimbob0i0

Post by jimbob0i0 »

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet...

this game was recently added to GoG so it is now easily available to all....

I have just started playing it - dang creepy... especially the voices of the girls :/ *turns lights on and locks doors*
Deledrius

Post by Deledrius »

jimbob0i0 wrote:dang creepy... especially the voices of the girls :/ *turns lights on and locks doors*
No kidding. The menu screen alone is so eerie. I love it!
woodoste

Post by woodoste »

Is this project still alive?
Deledrius

Post by Deledrius »

I was just working on it tonight.

Progress has slowed, but it is not dead.
maximus

Post by maximus »

woodoste wrote:Is this project still alive?
I'm still hoping to get back into development soon. I've been MIA recently because my wife and I had a baby, so that's been taking up a lot of my extra time these days, but hopefully everything will settle down soon and my evenings will open up a bit ;)
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

maximus wrote:
woodoste wrote:but hopefully everything will settle down soon and my evenings will open up a bit ;)
No, you're going to be busy for the next 18 years :wink:
Congratulations.
maximus

Post by maximus »

Red_Breast wrote:
maximus wrote:
woodoste wrote:but hopefully everything will settle down soon and my evenings will open up a bit ;)
No, you're going to be busy for the next 18 years :wink:
Congratulations.
Thanks man ;) I don't want this project to die, but we all know how it goes with open source ... it'll be finished eventually.

If anyone ever wants to hop aboard, we've got a pretty workable ida project that we've been working from (not gonna post it cause i don't know if that violates any forum rules), but we're always excited to get new project members aboard.

Sadly, Alexandre and I have been busy with other projects and "life", Deledrius has been busy and bluegr's been extremely hard at work with the SCI engine (no complaints about that from anyone I'm sure :P). The engine works under the latest trunk, but we haven't added any new code lately. I'm excited to hear that Deledrius is coming back on board though :D
alexfont

Post by alexfont »

Hey guys,

I was to start working on this project again few weeks ago, but had to stop due to a personal project I've started.

Here's a resume of it:

Few weeks ago I just send a CV for a opportunity in the game industry (actually in Spain). Unfortunately, my profile didn't met what they wanted and in some ways I understand that. So, this makes me realize I have to work myself a bit more in this area and gain as much experience as possible. Will be a bit hard now to take a specialization in the area here in Portugal.

So this personal project aims to make a game engine for 2D and 3D games (focus in 2D now) with cross-platform. The idea is to actually create a new and original game using it for commercial selling. With it, I can increase my skills in the industry, get a better portfolio, expose that in my CV and also take some profit of it.

As you can see this are my priorities right now in the near future. Still, this doesn't mean a let this project, because it means a lot for me and I won't give up from it.

Hope you all understand and I'll surely come back to work as soon as I got the chance ;)

Cheers,
Alex
nabla

Post by nabla »

Good luck with your project!
Cricri

Post by Cricri »

Sanitarium in ScummVM? Awesome work everyone, and good luck Alex!
bottedumal

Post by bottedumal »

Hi guys :)

Having sanitarium on scummVM is a great idea, another excellent game on this soft! Hope you will succeed...

I have a little question and you may be able to help. I'd like to play the game with original voice and french subtitles, so when I copy the RES.000 file from french to original version, every text is in french, (even menus), but when I start talking to a guy, the conversation windows stays black and closes itself without any conversations appears.

Thanks a lot if you know what can be the cause.

To note I use GoG version for english, original version for french (may be the cause?)

And good luck for the port :)
skid

Post by skid »

Hey guys,

I just checked the Asylum repository for the first time in months and I was really glad to see the massive amount of recent commits. Looks like Julien of lastexpress-Engine is also helping out now. Awesome stuff, guys...great to see everything in full swing again.

Good luck to Alex and everybody involved!

P.S. Anybody of the team care to share some "inside knowledge" about the current status of the engine?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

I just had a look too, impressive changes!

Tons of refactoring has been done, and the source resembles the original much more. As a player, there's not much to see yet, as one of the main actor update methods (Actor::updateStatus9()) is missing, and the main actor isn't shown without it. Julien/littleboy can supply much more detailed information