7th Guest/11th Hour

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Hermitscave

7th Guest/11th Hour

Post by Hermitscave »

Hello,

I am new to the ScummVM forums but I have to say thank you for making this work on the DS! I just downloaded Monkey Island 1 & 2 from my old cds and it just brings back great memories.

I was curious to know if there's anything out there in the works to be able to play 7th Guest/11th Hour on the DS? I am sad there isn't anything available for Gabriel Knight but 7th Guest would be awesome on the DS.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

:)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: 7th Guest/11th Hour

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Hermitscave wrote: I was curious to know if there's anything out there in the works to be able to play 7th Guest/11th Hour on the DS?
ScummVM 0.13 supports The 7th Guest, but I have no idea whether or not it works in the DS version.
Hermitscave

Post by Hermitscave »

I would have no clue as to what files to copy over to my DS since it's not as cut and dry as Monkey Island. Especially when there are 2 discs worth of info.

Any guesses?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Hermitscave wrote:I would have no clue as to what files to copy over to my DS since it's not as cut and dry as Monkey Island. Especially when there are 2 discs worth of info.
I guess you'll just need what is listed on the page which lists the needed datafiles: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Dataf ... est.2C_The
Hermitscave

Post by Hermitscave »

Just copied all the files I was supposed to, including the wav files, but Scumm gives me an error that says "Could not find any game in the specified directory. I am using build D.

I'll cycle through and see if any of the builds work.
Hermitscave

Post by Hermitscave »

None of the builds worked. :cry: It's still missing a file that will make the game work. Then again, maybe it just doesn't work on the DS.

Any suggestions or ideas would be most welcome.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Go to the About dialog of ScummVM. Is "groovie" listed in the engines section? That's the engine used to run The 7th Guest. If it's not there, it hasn't been included in the DS version build.
Hermitscave

Post by Hermitscave »

Looked at the "About" section and "groovie" is NOT listed there. Bummer. Guess it's not gonna be working on the DS for a while. Is "groovie" going to be something that will be added to future developments of ScummVM?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Hermitscave wrote:Looked at the "About" section and "groovie" is NOT listed there. Bummer. Guess it's not gonna be working on the DS for a while. Is "groovie" going to be something that will be added to future developments of ScummVM?
Each game running under ScummVM uses an engine, which is a plugin that supports the specified game. groovie is the engine running The 7th Guest (and in the futute, 11th Hour). The person who compiled the DS version of ScummVM did not include this plugin, which explains why it's not working on your DS. Perhaps you can try compiling your own version, with that engine included.
Hermitscave

Post by Hermitscave »

MD5-

LOL! You give me credit for being smarter than I really am. If I even had one iota of the knowledge of the awesome gaming programmers, I might give it an amateurish shot - but since I don't know how to program at all, I am at the mercy/timetable of any one who has the time to take on the task of adding the "groovie" plugin to ScummVM.

I really do appreciate the help I've received thus far and I will patiently wait for the day I can play 7th Guest on my DS. In the meantime, I'll keep busy with Monkey Island 1 & 2. :wink:

Thanks again for all the advice!
Atrus

Post by Atrus »

Both 7th Guest and 11th Hour feature SVGA graphics, so how can they be run on DS????? It's not possible...
InnocentBystander

Post by InnocentBystander »

Atrus wrote:Both 7th Guest and 11th Hour feature SVGA graphics, so how can they be run on DS????? It's not possible...
I could be wrong, but from deep recess of my brain not accessed since 1993, a little voice is telling me that 7th Guest had a 320x240 VGA mode. And I know the DS has more RAM than the 386es at the time did.

It seems to me at least plausible that 7th Guest might work on DS. But I too lack the know-how to actually attempt to do this.
soniq

Post by soniq »

the mousepointers were definitly svga. haven't played it in a while, but i remember that open skull with his brain buzzing in high resolution.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

I've just looked at the source code of the groovie engine. 7th Guest uses a 640x480 screen resolution, which means it can't run on a DS :(
arablizzard2413

Post by arablizzard2413 »

InnocentBystander wrote:I could be wrong, but from deep recess of my brain not accessed since 1993, a little voice is telling me that 7th Guest had a 320x240 VGA mode.
md5 wrote:I've just looked at the source code of the groovie engine. 7th Guest uses a 640x480 screen resolution, which means it can't run on a DS :(
The 7th Guest internally is 640x480 -but- the DOS version includes a MCGA (320x240 256 colors) driver that you select using install.exe for systems that couldn't handle the SVGA resolution.

So, it's not a matter of resolution, it's a matter of not having a scaler on the DS that mimics what the driver did would be my guess.