Problem with the IMA ADPCM wav files

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Oddysee

Problem with the IMA ADPCM wav files

Post by Oddysee »

Ok, so I ripped and converted the ogg files from the Loom and Monkey Island CDs into IMA ADPCM wav files (its all correct, mono, 22050 Hz etc.).

I then put them into the folders with the rest of the files and tried it on my DS. On Loom, the first few seconds of speech play when you choose difficulty but thats it, no intro music, nothing after that.

As for Monkey Island, the intro music plays then nothing when you meet the blind lookout, then it plays again after that.

Anyone help?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

If you press Y during play, you should see some debug information whenever the game tries to play CD music.

My copy shows:

Code: Select all

Playing track 18
Format: 17
Rate  : 22050
Bits  : 4
BlkSz : 1017
If yours shows a different number for 'format' or 'bits', it probably won't work. This means that your files are in the wrong format.

It's also possible that my ADPCM decompressor doesn't work with all possible variations of the format. If so, you might try using Cdex or another tool to conver the audio.
Oddysee

Post by Oddysee »

Yep, mine says that too. Well I re-encoded the Loom oog file which gave me a 34.7mb wav file. I tried it and got no sound all. I then tried decompressing it then recompressing it but had the same result. That was using CDex by the way.

The previous converter I used (Euphony) gave me a 665kb wav file which was the file that sort of worked as mentioned me my first post.

I've been at this for hours and I'm close to giving up...
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I just tried using Goldwave to convert the ripped WAVs to the correct format with Monkey Island 1 CD and it worked perfectly. The size of all the converted WAVs together was 30 MB.
Oddysee

Post by Oddysee »

Thanks for the advice MusicallyInspired. But I've finally cracked it!

I converted the ogg files with Audacity and then compressed them with CDex. I then tried it and it works, no breaks in sound! I'm very happy now, all those hours spent on this have paid off.
Vynce

Post by Vynce »

By far the easiest method for me was to use SoX on Mac OS X (also available for Linux and Windows). Here's a one-line bash script that will convert all of the wav files in the current directory to resampled IMA ADPCM wav files and dump them in an ima-adpcm subdirectory.

Code: Select all

mkdir ima-adpcm && for file in *.wav ; do sox -S "$file" -r 22050 -c 1 -e ima-adpcm "ima-adpcm/$file" ; done
SoX also supports other input formats (ogg, flac, mp3, etc) if it was compiled with appropriate support.

agentq, you may want to add some info like this to your readme -- especially for Linux and Mac OS X users.
another world

Re: Problem with the IMA ADPCM wav files

Post by another world »

Oddysee wrote:Ok, so I ripped and converted the ogg files from the Loom and Monkey Island CDs...
if you own the cds, why are you converting to ogg? just dump the file and convert from the raw.

from a ds homebrew i just got into, they talk about converting ogg files. the app recommended is audacity. perhaps that will help?

-another world