ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > Help and Support > ScummVM ToolBox - A windows frontend for the ScummVM Tools
ScummVM ToolBox - A windows frontend for the ScummVM Tools
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
bgbennyboy

ScummVM ToolBox - A windows frontend for the ScummVM Tools 

If a few people could test this for me, I'd be very grateful. If anyone can clear up some of the things listed under 'known issues' that would also be very welcome.

What does it do?
It adds a friendly, quick and easy frontend to the command line tools (the additional tools that are included with the windows daily builds).
It provides step-by-step instructions.
It automatically downloads and unpacks the ScummVM Tools - the user doesnt have to do anything but run the program.
It manages temp files and cleanes them up automatically if a tool fails.
It moves completed files to an area that you specify.
It includes the necessary encoding tools such as lame and oggenc.

Screenshots
#1 #2 #3

What do I need to run it?
You'll need the .NET framework 2.0 (you'll probably have this by now, if not just go to windows update and get it from there).

Download
This isnt a final release - I need people to test this and do their best to break it. Some known issues are listed below, if you find any others please let me know.

**Download ScummVM ToolBox 0.1 Beta**

Known issues
*If you cancel when compressing .BUN or .SAN files the tempfiles arent deleted, this is because the BUN and SAN compression tools work differently to the others. I should be able to fix this soon.
*SAGA - I dont have any SAGA games so I dont know what the output files from compress_saga are named.
*Decompile scripts - I dont have any Broken Sword 2 or Legend of Kyrandia scripts to try this with so these tasks are untested.
*Decompile scripts - the file extension for Broken Sword 2 and Kyra scripts might not be .dmp - I've just assumed it is because thats the extension that dumped SCUMM scripts use.
*Extraction tools - support for these isnt added yet because I dont possess the obscure games that they support.

Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:22 pm 
md5
ScummVM Developer

Nice work!

Haven't tried it much, but I like the interface. I've been to mattahan's website (the guy who provided the icons) but I can't find them Sad

Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:37 pm 
Qvist

The program downloaded scummvm + tools in the temp folder (and the tools were copied to the right folder) but the files never got deleted from the tempfolder. Or is it a feature?

Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:36 pm 
bgbennyboy

Thanks for trying it Smile

md5: The icons can be found in the various gant packages.

Qvist: The temp folder will be deleted in the final release, it was just disabled in this build so that I could check that the file copying and extracting was working correctly.

Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:56 pm 
Guybrush Peepwood

Great tool, I was looking for something just like this. I'm compressing Broken Sword 2 at the moment so I'll let you know if it works. One question - Can I use the BS2 tool to compress BS1 files? I guess it should work since they are the same kind of files.

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:39 pm 
Guybrush Peepwood

It works! You're my hero bgbennyboy, I'd have thought there'd be more interest for a tool like this.

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:06 pm 
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

quote:
Originally posted by Guybrush Peepwood
Great tool, I was looking for something just like this. I'm compressing Broken Sword 2 at the moment so I'll let you know if it works. One question - Can I use the BS2 tool to compress BS1 files? I guess it should work since they are the same kind of files.

To quote the README file:

quote:
Please note that compress_sword2 will only work with the four speech/music files in Broken Sword 2. It will not work with any of the other *.clu files, nor will it work with the speech files from Broken Sword 1.

Broken Sword 1 and 2 use different compression methods. The files just happen to have similar names. For Broken Sword 1, you want compress_sword1, not compress_sword2.
Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:09 pm 
Guybrush Peepwood

quote:
Originally posted by eriktorbjorn
To quote the README file:

quote:
Please note that compress_sword2 will only work with the four speech/music files in Broken Sword 2. It will not work with any of the other *.clu files, nor will it work with the speech files from Broken Sword 1.

Broken Sword 1 and 2 use different compression methods. The files just happen to have similar names. For Broken Sword 1, you want compress_sword1, not compress_sword2.

Thanks erik, hopefully bgbenny will be able to implement BS1 in a future version.
Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:11 pm 
JamesWoodcock

I have yet to try the program myself, however this looks great and will surely help a lot of people who do not feel comfortable with the command prompt window.

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:03 pm 
jtan

I downloaded the toolbox to my scummvm folder, it asks to download the tools, downloaded all, but still not working - continues with the message "Scummvm Tools is missing", but it's already installed.

There are some specific folder to displaced it?

Thanks!

Post Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:05 am 
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

quote:
Originally posted by jtan
I downloaded the toolbox to my scummvm folder, it asks to download the tools, downloaded all, but still not working - continues with the message "Scummvm Tools is missing", but it's already installed.

There are some specific folder to displaced it?

Thanks!

Maybe the frontend is designed for the 080 tools? The 090 tools have been recently released, and may have changed.
Post Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:10 pm 
Reply to topic