Flight of the Amazon Queen was on the App Store

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

fingolfin wrote:Note that it is not sufficient to talk to Eugene/sev alone; many more people hold copyright on parts of ScummVM. If you don't release the source, you would have to get permission from every single one if you wanted to keep the source code closed.
We were talking just since yesterday. I was promised that the source code will be released once the game is back in the store. Now it is there, but I did not get the sources even privately after requesting it several times.

Eugene
nferno

Re: New Version on the AppStore

Post by nferno »

KingLir wrote: We will work with ScummVM team in order to bring as many games as possible to the iPhone and iPod touch.
This game isn't free anymore, in order to support the game developers.

Besides of making this "Apple Approved", this version features several improvements from the current Cydia ScummVM version, mainly: Full Screen, Better colors and Better in-game controllers.
Wow, that's a very interesting development! I'm imagining we could some day download a ScummVM app in the App Store and be able to purchase the games for it within ScummVM itself, which would be pretty awesome. If FOTAQ has already made it this far, I don't see why this wouldn't be legally possible, since the 3.0 iPhone software will introduce in-app purchases. Of course, the biggest hurdle is that you'll need to cooperate with the big guns being LucasArts, Sierra, etc. in order to be able to sell their games through ScummVM...

A (more likely) alternative path that I can see is that these game companies suddenly start noticing FOTAQ on the App Store. If they see it fares well, they'll start porting their games like mad (using ScummVM) and cash in on the games by selling them all as seperate App Store apps, which actually would also be fine by me...

Oh well, so much for looking into my mirror ball :)

EDIT: Oops, seems I was a little too enthusiastic with my predicitions there... Hope these GPL issues get resolved soon.
KingLir

Post by KingLir »

Guys, ScummVM team will get full access to the code and will publish it in anyway you see fit.

fingolfin and sev - we will be in touch.
Last edited by KingLir on Wed May 06, 2009 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

nferno wrote:A (more likely) alternative path that I can see is that these game companies suddenly start noticing FOTAQ on the App Store. If they see it fares well, they'll start porting their games like mad (using ScummVM) and cash in on the games by selling them all as seperate App Store apps, which actually would also be fine by me...
Nothing sudden about it.

Some companies were already in the process of doing this before this version of FOTAQ came to the app store, but they are actually putting time and effort into adding value to these versions of the games, rather than doing quick rushjob ports that offer little to no benefit over a free version -- hence the apparent fear of "competition" that is telegraphed by (initially) claiming it'll take a few weeks to "prepare" the source.

Speaking of which... as the accompanying info/documentation astutely states; "Uses ScummVM which is protected under GNU GPU v2" (btw guys, it's GPL, not GPU), I hope to see the source very shortly.

EDIT: I see it's forthcoming, cool. :)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

nferno wrote: Wow, that's a very interesting development! I'm imagining we could some day download a ScummVM app in the App Store and be able to purchase the games for it within ScummVM itself, which would be pretty awesome. If FOTAQ has already made it this far, I don't see why this wouldn't be legally possible, since the 3.0 iPhone software will introduce in-app purchases. Of course, the biggest hurdle is that you'll need to cooperate with the big guns being LucasArts, Sierra, etc. in order to be able to sell their games through ScummVM...
The "only" hurdle you list there is in fact *not* the only hurdle, but it is indeed a huge one, one that is more or less impossible to overcome for the "Big" games (e.g. from LucasArts).
nferno

Post by nferno »

joostp wrote:Some companies were already in the process of doing this before this version of FOTAQ came to the app store, but they are actually putting time and effort into adding value to these versions of the games, rather than doing quick rushjob ports that offer little to no benefit over a free version -- hence the apparent fear of "competition" that is telegraphed by (initially) claiming it'll take a few weeks to "prepare" the source.
Hmm, you don't happen to know which companies in particular are busy porting their ScummVM games to the iPhone? (or even which particular games?)
fingolfin wrote:The "only" hurdle you list there is in fact *not* the only hurdle, but it is indeed a huge one, one that is more or less impossible to overcome for the "Big" games (e.g. from LucasArts).
True, I probably was being a little too optimistic again :)
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

nferno wrote:Hmm, you don't happen to know which companies in particular are busy porting their ScummVM games to the iPhone? (or even which particular games?)
I do. You'll find out soon enough. :)
nferno

Post by nferno »

joostp wrote: I do. You'll find out soon enough. :)
Ohh, mystery and surprise; I like that :) *sits and waits patiently like a little boy waiting for santa to drop down his chimney*
Zylex

Post by Zylex »

I just discovered the game on the Appshop..

So do they have ported ScummVM from CoreSurface to OpenGL ES? If so it's probably worth paying for a free game, but on the other side they are using your GPL code, so I rather should pay the money to the ScummVM team.

Anyway, it would be nice if a game like DOTT appears in the Appshop, I doubt I can resist buying it :>
lqd

Post by lqd »

AFAICT here is the modified scummvm code for the flight of the amazon queen http://iphsoft.com/fotaq/details.htm

It'll be interesting to see the opengl ES, fullscreen, and autosave/always on questions that need answer from this app's approval.

Rémy