Nintendo DSi

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Tobias

Nintendo DSi

Post by Tobias »

Hi,
as some of you might know, the new DSi has an own SD Cartrigeslot.
So I treid to put the ScummDS version on a SD card but it didn't work.
I did a search and checked the FAQs but I couldn't find anything.

Is there a way to run Scumm on my DSi?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

No. I can see this is going to have to be added to the FAQ.

The DSi cannot run any homebrew at the moment.
jimbob0i0

Post by jimbob0i0 »

Not quite right....
There are now 2 flash cards...

Acecard 2i and TTDSi that work - but this is in DS mode only apparently... no expanded acess to RAM etc at this time (I think).

I did get a DSi last weekend and will be getting one of these soon to start testing - see how much RAM DSLinux etc shows...

You cannot run from the SD slot- you need one of these cards.
Badablek

Post by Badablek »

jimbob0i0 wrote:Not quite right....
There are now 2 flash cards...

Acecard 2i and TTDSi that work - but this is in DS mode only apparently... no expanded acess to RAM etc at this time (I think).

I did get a DSi last weekend and will be getting one of these soon to start testing - see how much RAM DSLinux etc shows...

You cannot run from the SD slot- you need one of these cards.
I think that agentq wanted to say :

The DSi cannot run any homebrew in DSi mode at the moment. :wink:

DS homebrew in DS mode on a DSi does not add anything useful (like extra ram).
MdaG

Post by MdaG »

What do you mean by "DSi mode"?

I've got most of the Lucasarts old point and click games + Broken Sword, Simon the Sorcerer & BASS. I'm hoping to be able to run them on my newly bought DSi as it's been around eight years since I last gave them any love. :)
Bowen747x

Post by Bowen747x »

circle of blood is not supported in the DS port of scumm
jimbob0i0

Post by jimbob0i0 »

MdaG wrote:What do you mean by "DSi mode"?

I've got most of the Lucasarts old point and click games + Broken Sword, Simon the Sorcerer & BASS. I'm hoping to be able to run them on my newly bought DSi as it's been around eight years since I last gave them any love. :)
The new hardware available in the DSi (cameras, SD slot, twice the RAM, twice as fast CPU) are only able to be used when teh DSi is in a 'DSi mode'.... a little like how the Wii has two modes to run under - Gamecube mode where the wiimote, SD cards, internal memory etc cannot be used and full Wii mode.

At this time certain flash cards (a couple last check only) can run in DS mode in a Nintendo DSi. At this time no flashcards/homebrew can utilise the full capabilities of the DSi. The best of the hacking groups (Team Twiizlers IMHO) for the Wii is already looking at the DSi (check their blogs at hackmii at related sites).
MdaG

Post by MdaG »

jimbob0i0 wrote:
MdaG wrote:What do you mean by "DSi mode"?

The new hardware available in the DSi (cameras, SD slot, twice the RAM, twice as fast CPU) are only able to be used when teh DSi is in a 'DSi mode'.... a little like how the Wii has two modes to run under - Gamecube mode where the wiimote, SD cards, internal memory etc cannot be used and full Wii mode.

At this time certain flash cards (a couple last check only) can run in DS mode in a Nintendo DSi. At this time no flashcards/homebrew can utilise the full capabilities of the DSi. The best of the hacking groups (Team Twiizlers IMHO) for the Wii is already looking at the DSi (check their blogs at hackmii at related sites).
Oh, ok. So what this means is that currently I can run the DS-build of ScummVM and make use of all its' features on my DSi?

If so, then that's all I need and I can go ahead and buy an Acekard 2i + SD and just use the DS build. Right?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

You can use the nDS ScummVM on a DSi but the DSi will be in normal DS/DS Lite mode.
What jimbob was saying about the Wii and Gamecube. Do you know what he means? If you've ever played a Gamecube game on a Wii you have to use the Gamecube controller. Can't use a Wiimote. You also need a Gamecube memory card for saving games whereas for saving Wii games you can save to the Wii's internal memory.
ScummVM will not be able to use any of the DSi extras.
You will only be able to play the games listed at agentq's ScummVM for DS page. No Broken Sword etc.
You can't load ScummVM and the games from the DSi's SD card.
You need to get one of the flash cards for DSi and a micro SD card to load ScummVM and games from.
I also noticed even though these DSi cards only work in DS mode you can't use them on a plain DS.
DSi homebrew is at a very early stage. People are looking at it but it's not known when anything will come out for it.
Remember as well if you get a DSi you will not be able to play the new Full Throttle / The Dig build as a DSi doesn't have a slot-2 for GBA games/extra RAM/rumble.
If I didn't have a DS/DSi what I'd do is get a second hand DS for now and go for a DSi when/if it's been cracked and homebrew is possible.
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/#whichgames
MdaG

Post by MdaG »

Red_Breast wrote:You can use the nDS ScummVM on a DSi but the DSi will be in normal DS/DS Lite mode.
What jimbob was saying about the Wii and Gamecube. Do you know what he means? If you've ever played a Gamecube game on a Wii you have to use the Gamecube controller. Can't use a Wiimote. You also need a Gamecube memory card for saving games whereas for saving Wii games you can save to the Wii's internal memory.
ScummVM will not be able to use any of the DSi extras.
You will only be able to play the games listed at agentq's ScummVM for DS page. No Broken Sword etc.
You can't load ScummVM and the games from the DSi's SD card.
You need to get one of the flash cards for DSi and a micro SD card to load ScummVM and games from.
I also noticed even though these DSi cards only work in DS mode you can't use them on a plain DS.
DSi homebrew is at a very early stage. People are looking at it but it's not known when anything will come out for it.
Remember as well if you get a DSi you will not be able to play the new Full Throttle / The Dig build as a DSi doesn't have a slot-2 for GBA games/extra RAM/rumble.
If I didn't have a DS/DSi what I'd do is get a second hand DS for now and go for a DSi when/if it's been cracked and homebrew is possible.
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/#whichgames
Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll either postpone my replay of my games until the DSi Homebrew community has caught up or just replay them using the Linux build of ScummVM.

I just thought it would be cool to, you know, literally point 'n click :wink:
martymcfly83

Post by martymcfly83 »

does anyone know if running scummvm off my cyclods evolution on a dsi in ds mode will utilise the full screen resolution of the dsi?

ta
martymcfly83

Post by martymcfly83 »

nevermind... i just realised that the screens are the same aspect ratio so the games still need to be scaled :(