.SWF (Flash) port?

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Maveric

.SWF (Flash) port?

Post by Maveric »

Hello!

Is there, or is it possible for you to make, a .swf port of SCUMM(VM)?

I would like to be able to play it on my LG phone which only has a propriarity OS, but flash (and java) support.

It's a touch screen phone, so with touch screen support; point-and-click games would work well and be fun to play.

Thank you!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

If you can find someone willing to rewrite 800000+ lines of code in another programming language (ActionScript), debug it, and keep it in sync with the normal version of ScummVM, then sure, it might be possible.

But since the amount of work is enormous, it's most likely not possible. It's the same answer as the "port to Java" question and generally with "port to XXX language" kinds of questions
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Ehhh, are you sure your phone even has full Flash support?
As far as I know, Flash-full-feature only works on x86 and there is an x86_64 alpha out for Linux.
There is Flash Lite that allows you to watch Youtube for (non x86) phones, but it doesn't have all the features of the normal one, so it would be useless for complex stuff like ScummVM.

A Scumm Flash port, at this moment, would be useless as ScummVM allready runs on all platforms that support Flash-full-feature.
If someone would be bold enough to rewrite all of ScummVM, Java would be a lot better choice.
guybrush
Got a warning

I want to give it a try ...

Post by guybrush »

hey guys, i know it will be a pain but i want to give it a try. it will take several years - thats for sure.

i've been working with flash from version 3 till today. from as1 to as3 - for 10 years now and i got a great team of skilled coders.

if anyone is willing to support this, please let me know.

see you on irc (nick: movAX13h),
filip
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Just to clarify something: The term "port" is not appropriate in this context, rather, it should be called a "complete rewrite in Flash" (feel free to substitute Java, C#, or any other programming language for "Flash" ;).
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

From what I know about how to manage projects I would think it's best to set goals and to start with just concentrate on SCUMM engine games.
If / when you get there then you can see if you want to take it further. The main reason why so many mods for games are never finished is because they set too many goals to begin with.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Even SCUMM is over 86k lines of code (comments and empty lines are not counted). Okay, without Humongous Entertainment and v7+ games it is "just" 53k lines of code.

Good luck with that.

There was an attempt to rewrite ScummVM into much closer to C++ language which is C#. The attempt of course failed despite the fact that much simpler than SCUMM engines Sky and Queen were selected.

In addition to engine itself, our OSystem and middleware code has to be ported too as every engine is a heavy user of those. So, add something like 50k lines of code (bare minimum) to the plate.

Eugene
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

sev wrote:Even SCUMM is over 86k lines of code (comments and empty lines are not counted). Okay, without Humongous Entertainment and v7+ games it is "just" 53k lines of code.

Good luck with that.

There was an attempt to rewrite ScummVM into much closer to C++ language which is C#. The attempt of course failed despite the fact that much simpler than SCUMM engines Sky and Queen were selected.

In addition to engine itself, our OSystem and middleware code has to be ported too as every engine is a heavy user of those. So, add something like 50k lines of code (bare minimum) to the plate.

Eugene
Well maybe just Maniac Mansion then!
I thought even just the SCUMM games sounded like a huge amount of work. I really wanted to post to point out about setting goals that you can realistically reach - at least before your hair starts going grey anyway!
guybrush
Got a warning

Goal

Post by guybrush »

Hi, we've started now with converter to AS3.

thanks to everyone who gave positive feedback. i appreciate this very much since most of the developers of the scumm vm that i talked to recently do not see the point in bringing scumm games to browsers. i'd love to see the currently 'young' people play monkey island 1 just because it's easy to start playing - right on a website.

more soon.
filip
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: Goal

Post by LordHoto »

guybrush wrote:i'd love to see the currently 'young' people play monkey island 1 just because it's easy to start playing - right on a website.
Right on a website right after they bought the game via ebay or the like and uploaded it first? All other alternatives would require special permissions from the game authors, I think, and I doubt LEC would be that positive towards that now that they got their SE of Monkey Island 1.

I actually believe it's easier for young people to buy the recent Special Editions via Steam etc.
guybrush
Got a warning

Post by guybrush »

LordHoto wrote:All other alternatives would require special permissions from the game authors, I think, and I doubt LEC would be that positive towards that now that they got their SE of Monkey Island 1.
well, i see several possibilities here. players could have a login where they can upload their original datafiles and have them in their account or buy the games directly from the publishers to play directly from their account.

but i really want to focus on the project itself. bringing classical point & click adventure games to the browser is ALWAYS something worth working for.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

how is buying a game, ripping it and then UPLOADING it to a server easier than just installing scummvm on your selected platform and playing it there? sorry for not staying on track like you wish here, but I really have to agree that I don't see the point of this. It seems a tremendous amount of work for nothing.
guybrush
Got a warning

Post by guybrush »

Longcat wrote:how is buying a game, ripping it and then UPLOADING it to a server easier than just installing scummvm on your selected platform and playing it there? sorry for not staying on track like you wish here, but I really have to agree that I don't see the point of this. It seems a tremendous amount of work for nothing.
hehe, it's just one single click. you can buy the game online and get it in your account automatically. no need to download, rip or upload anything.
and this is a very basic process on the internet today.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

guybrush wrote:players could have a login where they can upload their original datafiles
This will be a clear copyright infringement since the users have no rights to pass copy of the game without the media, or make several copies in case of digital distribution... Especially with SCUMM games, i.e. LucasArts :)

You're not just entering dangerous waters here, you're planning to do things which are considered as copyright law violation in many countries.

Eugene
guybrush
Got a warning

Post by guybrush »

IF a new platform exists and IF the original publishers want to use it, we can continue thinking about problems like these. this has been done in many different ways before so please stop arguing with license and copyright details and start coming up with constructive ideas.

filip