Wow! Slow down! Easy!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LurkerScum

Wow! Slow down! Easy!

Post by LurkerScum »

Ok, massive dumbass over here.

Please can someone give me a step by step method on putting scummvm/monkey island 1/2/3 on my itouch that involves words that i as a dumbshit would understand?

Please, monkey island is one of my favorite games in the whole world. I just got an itouch for my birthday yesterday and ive been dreaming to use monkey island on it. Please help!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Wow! Slow down! Easy!

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Is the problem getting ScummVM to run on the itouch, or getting it to run in general? I could possibly help with the latter, but not with the former since I wouldn't even recognize an itouch if I saw one.
LurkerScum

Re: Wow! Slow down! Easy!

Post by LurkerScum »

eriktorbjorn wrote:Is the problem getting ScummVM to run on the itouch, or getting it to run in general? I could possibly help with the latter, but not with the former since I wouldn't even recognize an itouch if I saw one.
I haven't tried running it yet, because after reading everything I'm scared to try incase I stuff something up.

I don't mind 50000 pages of writing, i would just really appreciate it if someone didn't tell me "What to do" but more "How to do it" in very simple words.

Thank you!!!
:D
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Well, getting the games to run on the desktop version of ScummVM is fairly straightforward: Copy the necessary data files to a new folder on your hard disk, start ScummVM, use the "Add Game" dialog to select the folder. ScummVM should recognize the game, and that's it.

One possible stumbling block is, of course, the "necessary data files" part. The Datafiles page has a hopefully complete list of which files you need.

Assuming you have the DOS versions of the first two games, Monkey Island 2 is the simplest one. All you need is the MONKEY2.000 and MONKEY2.001 files. Monkey Island 1 can be a bit trickier, since the CD version stores the music as audio tracks on the CD. ScummVM should be able to play them from the CD, but it's more convenient to rip the tracks to your hard disk (as MP3, Ogg Vorbis or FLAC). The ScummVM README has some more information about that.

The third game can be slightly tricky since it's spread over two CDs, and you need the files from both. (Some files appear on both CDs, but in those cases they are identical.)

But, as I said, I can't be of any help whatsoever with the iPhone port. I can only hope the process is fairly similar, once ScummVM has been installed.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Check out this page which gives a step-by-step guide for installation: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/IPhone

If you get stuck on any point, feel free to ask here about that specific point :).
LurkerScum

aww

Post by LurkerScum »

Aww, thank you guys

After rereading what i wrote, i realised im being a bit too hard on everyone.

Sorry, ok, heres one question :wink:

When I try to jailbreak my ipod touch i get a blue question mark in the corner of my screen.

What is this and how do i get rid of it?

Also, if i need to restore my ipod touch will i lose all my music/apps/videos etc?

Thank you so much guys, and im sorry i was so general ;)
LurkerScum

Post by LurkerScum »

Ok, scratch everything...

Ok, ive figured out so far the following:
- I cant jailbreak my ipod touch because its 1.1.2 and it must be 1.1.1
- I need to downgrade my ipod by hacking into it which will stuff up all my movie and music
- If i do downgrade there still isnt a 100% chance it'll still work.

Please scummvm, cant you just put ur app in the app store for free? I would love you so much and it would save everyone so much trouble!

Or is there some way I can play without jailbreaking my itouch?
BJ_Wanlund

Post by BJ_Wanlund »

Pay the $99 for the iPhone developer program. That's really the only way.

BJ
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

LurkerScum wrote:Ok, scratch everything...

Ok, ive figured out so far the following:
- I cant jailbreak my ipod touch because its 1.1.2 and it must be 1.1.1
- I need to downgrade my ipod by hacking into it which will stuff up all my movie and music
- If i do downgrade there still isnt a 100% chance it'll still work.

Please scummvm, cant you just put ur app in the app store for free? I would love you so much and it would save everyone so much trouble!

Or is there some way I can play without jailbreaking my itouch?
A first generation iPod Touch? As far as I know they're all jailbreakable..? Check out QuickPwn or WinPwn.