Please test! Run Full Throttle and The Dig using slot-2 RAM

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

agentq
ScummVM Porter

Please test! Run Full Throttle and The Dig using slot-2 RAM

Post by agentq »

Hi,

I've completed work on my build which supports external RAM packs. Using one of these devices, you can play Full Throttle and The Dig on your DS.

Both games run almost perfectly, but with slowdown in certain sections. Full Throttle is slow during the car driving section, while The Dig is slow in many places

The following types of slot-2 RAM device are supported:
- Supercard
- M3
- G6
- EZ Flash

Currently, the Opera Browser Expansion Pack doesn't work with this build.

If you have a slot-1 card (one that fits in your DS slot, like an R4DS or an M3DS Real), you can load the data files from that, and use the RAM in slot-2 (GBA slot). Also, if you have a slot-2 card with an SD slot, you can load the files from the slot and use the RAM both in slot-2. To do this, just patch the ScummVM binary with the DLDI as normal, and then when the game starts, on the RAM device menu, choose the same device.

When you first start this build of ScummVM DS, you will need to select the type of RAM pack you have. This setting will be saved, and you won't be asked again unless you start ScummVM DS without the RAM pack, or with a different type of RAM pack inserted.

There are also some new features to go with this:
- High quality stereo sound support: so you can listen to the fantastic soundtracks to both of these games! (the high quality audio checkbox in the options is greyed out, as the new mode is used all the time)
- Brightness adjustment: This lets you brighten the game (using a gamma correction technique) to more easily see the dark graphics in The Dig on the original DS screen. Press select and click on the 'Graphics' tab, then adjust the brightness bar at the bottom with your stylus.
- D-pad controls for the car driving section in Full Throttle. Press Select and tick the check box marked 'Car controls'. Then you can use D-pad left and right to steer, and A button to accelerate.

Issues:
- The Supercard I have fails to start up sometimes. I'm not sure whether this is a general issue with Supercards, or just the one I have.
- Some DLDI drivers don't work when a device is used both as RAM and for disk access at the same time. I had problems with my M3 lite, and narrowed it down to the use of DMA. If the driver uses DMA, it won't work with this build. I've prepared a new version of the m3sd_alt driver I was using which doesn't use DMA. You need to use this DLDI to avoid random crashes if you're using an M3 Lite. You can download it here: http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/m3sd_alt_v2.dldi (Source: http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/m3sd_v2.zip)

Download the new build here:
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/scummv ... gtest5.zip

Older versions:
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/scummv ... gtest4.zip
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/scummv ... gtest3.zip
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/scummv ... gtest2.zip
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/scummv ... gtest1.zip

Also, here's a source archive for this build, because I'm unable to check this into source control right now (due to several nasty hacks to the codebase):
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/scummv ... source.zip

I hope you enjoy running these games on your DS. In my opinion, these were the best games Lucasarts ever made. :-)

I'd be interested in hearing your feedback. Especially if you're running the game on one of the cards listed as untested above.
Last edited by agentq on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SeeD32

Post by SeeD32 »

Just tried this with my R4 and EZ Flash V on DSlite and it freezes at the start with a 'configManager::get(exramtype,ds) called on non-existent domain!' error.

My EZ Flash V card works fine with everything else. I also tried using the 3in1 tools to turn on the extra ram before loading a fresh scummvm-j.nds but it still freezes the same.

The older/other scummvm work fine, even Kyrandia 2 on scummvm-f build so I know it's not my R4 either.

Is there any way I could cheat the ini file by filling in the EZ Flash V setting so that it bypasses this check seeing as it freezes here?

Great work on this though, never thought I'd get to play these 2 on the DS!
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I'm stupid - I didn't try it without a pre-existing config file.

Try downloading the file again - I've updated it with a build which should work.
SeeD32

Post by SeeD32 »

(The man does ALL this godly work and calls himself 'stupid'?? I think not! :) More that you've clocked in so many hours working on this miracle that it merely slipped your mind!)

Anyway.... it works! And perfectly. I cannot find a single flaw or slight sound skip so far. What a differnece the extra ram makes!

Fantastic.
SeeD32

Post by SeeD32 »

Ok so I spoke too soon there. The game crashes to the debug console when you first talk to the bartender after climbing out of the dumpster and kicking in the bar door. The bartender says "so what'll it be Mac?" and it crashes out there saying 'convertMessageToString(): string escape sequence 127 unknown!' with a weird unreadable error string on the bottom debug screen.

Anyway, I won't triple-post, so will leave it for tonight. Still think it's amazing that it's even running and hoping this is just a teething problem.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Hmm. Another change I made right before releasing broke the chatting. Download again, and all should be fine when talking to people.

Don't worry about the number of posts, it's good to get some feedback. Other people must have tried it, but didn't post that it was broken.
SeeD32

Post by SeeD32 »

Oh ok kewl.

I take it you're nocternal then? I'm in London too, just enjoy the stillness of the night (I write) and seem to get so much more work done.

Probaby won't be able to now if this next fix runs well, the Full T cd has been sitting on my games shelf for many years untouched, forgotten what a great game it is! :)

Oh and hey, thanks again, swift service eh!
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Started writing a post when only the first post was up so I ended up getting the error.
When I came to post I found some replys. After reading them it's all working.

Sorry about image quality, and the pink DS. But you get the idea. Next time I'll dig my tripod out.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Naturally, I would probably be nocturnal. I agree, it's much easier to get work done as everyone else sleeps and it's really quiet. What sort of stuff do you write?

I've been burning the midnight oil on FT/The Dig so I'm in a night-time mood. Unfortunately I have to go to work tomorrow, so I should really go to bed.

I'm just going to play a bit more Full Throttle to make sure nothing else is broken...
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Nice pictures, Red_Breast. And if you hadn't said, I would have said your DS is white.
SeeD32

Post by SeeD32 »

Flawless Victory :P

Well so far, but I think it's because it plays so smoothly that I can't help assuming there won't be any more errors.

I didn't mean I write for a living or anything, just meant I use the night time to write. Mainly shorts and poetry. Into scifi and such, I do it more for the creativity feeling - I tried learning C++ once but didn't get very far. Think I'll leave that creative vibe to you guys here lol.

Back on topic though... do you think there could be a way around The Dig problem? I don't own a copy but will have to hunt for one ebay shortly!

I am wondering if you're maybe going to get a save file out if it's only crashing at that big room. Can play up to the crash, then re-boot and use the save file to carry on once past it. If it misses much then you can always include a short transcript.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Ha Ha, I've just got rid of the Rottwheeler dude. Just a matter of sliding the stylus from left to right and getting your punch/kick in at the right time.
Damn, is that the time. Time to sleep.
Thanks agentq.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

SeeD32 wrote:Flawless Victory :P

Well so far, but I think it's because it plays so smoothly that I can't help assuming there won't be any more errors.

I didn't mean I write for a living or anything, just meant I use the night time to write. Mainly shorts and poetry. Into scifi and such, I do it more for the creativity feeling - I tried learning C++ once but didn't get very far. Think I'll leave that creative vibe to you guys here lol.

Back on topic though... do you think there could be a way around The Dig problem? I don't own a copy but will have to hunt for one ebay shortly!

I am wondering if you're maybe going to get a save file out if it's only crashing at that big room. Can play up to the crash, then re-boot and use the save file to carry on once past it. If it misses much then you can always include a short transcript.
I seem to remember you have to go to that room more than once.
SeeD32

Post by SeeD32 »

Ah, ok. I've not played The Dig in ages so had forgotten. I have one of those longplays of it being completed somewhere on dvd, but it's more fun playing it for real of course!

And yep, damn this devil's temptation... a -j release! Discovered on a sunday night! lol
SeeD32

Post by SeeD32 »

Maureen - "... getting my hands on your Hog has really been a pleasure!"
Ben - "well, thanks."

lol

And I never knew that Mark Hamill was voice talent in this!