Please test! Run Full Throttle and The Dig using slot-2 RAM

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I've always assumed ScummVMnDS uses 'classic' GUI because it uses less memory.
From my experience compiling with VScpp for Windows I believe the classic GUI is part of the ScummVM executable (.nds)
But the modern GUI is an extra in the form of a zip from experience.
nOberoNow

Post by nOberoNow »

I`m using M3Real with EZ-Expansion 3 in 1 and also got R4, i tested Full Throttle on both of them till moment when Ben got thru road block and it`s works perfect, small slowdowns but no crash or something, but i start the game many times and even saving works great!
Oh and i`m using Russian version of the game, it bigger in three times of english,but again works SUPER!
And tonight friend gives me russian version of The Dig,i`m gonna test it too some later...
SRYfmENG
chojin

Post by chojin »

Full Throttle (german) appears to run properly on my CycloDS + EZ 3in1. Minor sound loops on scene changes, like Echtzeit reported. (I only played till I met Maureen.)

In the DIG (german) right after the intro I took out the PenUltimate and started playing Asteroid Lander using the virtual keyboard. After a some seconds pressing the cursor keys the game was frozen. Reproducable, but probably not essential :) Applying the explosives works.

Thanks!

Edit:
After taking off the space suits, when Low tries to contact the Shuttle, an OOM error occurs:

Code: Select all

L: 835 (15:160:0xE56): Out of memory while allocating 175808!
another world

Post by another world »

the icon for this build test 3 says "G" not "J".

tested full throttle pc (version-a) using an acekard 2.1 black pcb running akaio 1.4.1 proper and an ez 3in1, all is working. the mac version, however, does not load.

i noticed that build J loads up games i had stored for build E. are the different builds sharing an .ini now? i recall in the past that they each only stored the settings for their individual build. this was much preferred, as this way we don't have to remember which games go with which build. if at all possible, could you take it back to the older method? ... or it is entirely possible i'm missing something =).

-another world
Last edited by another world on Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tirges

Post by tirges »

Tried the test3 version and subtitles work nicely now, except the bottom line falls offscreen in the dig...

Also in this version I can go back to the main menu [select], which fails in other 13.1beta1 builds, they just hang
(M3Real with GBA expansionPack (detected as: G6) )

I had an issue with the intro crashing on Full Throttle, I tested with another version which runs ok
I previously used a version that came on a special edition CD (with Fark Forces), it gets identified by ScummVM as
ID: ft
Full Throttle (Version A/English)

I checked with a friend, his version came up as
ID: ft-1
Full Throttle (Version B/English)

The only changed files (MD5 checked) are
VIDEO\CREDITS.SAN
FT.LA0
FT.LA1

The H version of 13.1beta1 (Nippon Safes) also has the G icon btw...
another world

Post by another world »

full throttle freeze-up:

part five, when the demolition derby starts the game freezes. right after the Nestor & Bolus cut scene (where the sound drastically cuts in and out), i see two cars and the game freezes in version-A, version-B just errors.

error version-A:
(142:5:0x3D) : Out of memory while allocating 133824!

error version-B:
(142:2015:0x13ABB) readArray: invalid array 491 (0)!

tested on:
an acekard 2.1 black pcb
akaio 1.4.1 proper
ez 3in1
ndsl

i made a save file just before the cut-scenes that lead up to the derby. agentq if you can make use of it let me know, i will PM it to you.

cheers!
-another world
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Yeah, that would be very handy. Please PM it to me.
staze

Post by staze »

Out of curiosity, does this also mean we might see Monkey Island 3 on the DS?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

staze wrote:Out of curiosity, does this also mean we might see Monkey Island 3 on the DS?
Probably not, MI3 is a SVGA game, a resolution which is too big and too demanding for the DS
jimbob0i0

Post by jimbob0i0 »

I'm planning on picking up a DSi in about 2-3 weeks or thereabouts....

The RAM on it has been increased from the 4MB in the DS/DSLite to 16MB...

Will have to keep an eye on the DS homebrew scene to see if it's usable sooner rather than later - might open up a lot more games as playable :)
noculture

Post by noculture »

You are an absolute genius, this is brilliant. I'm using CycloDS / EZ 3 in 1 and so far other than very minor sound/graphical glitches Full Throttle has worked perfectly.

Hmm I didn't think about the possibilities of using the extra RAM in the DSi for advanced homebrew... I've only just had my DS so that'll be a bit frustrating if great things happen. Although I already have almost every great point and click (or should it be point and tap now?) game at my stylus tip so I guess there won't be anything THAT amazing on the horizon.
another world

Post by another world »

jimbob0i0 wrote:The RAM on it has been increased from the 4MB in the DS/DSLite to 16MB...
from what i remember (and don't quote me on this) the larger ram is a dsi feature. something which hasn't been hacked yet. you are still limited to the 4mb when running code in the ds mode.

-another world
MaxArt

Post by MaxArt »

Hi agentq,
I've been tested your beta version in the last hours.
I'm using an original DSTT (kernel 1.17, the last one) and a Ewin GBA Expansion 2-in-1 (32 MB), marked as TopToy.
Pressing R after loading GBA ExpLoader, the slot-2 cartridge is recognized as an EZ expansion and seems to work fine.

I'm using the Italian version of Full Throttle. It runs quite well, sometimes it freezes for a second or two while loading the scenes, but that's not the issue.
The problem is that it randomly (but always after a few seconds) crashes during the car show at the stadium. I get the following error message:
(142:274:0xA32): Out of memory while allocating 133824!
Turning off the sound effects doesn't seem to help. Turning off the scaling does a bit, just to see Maureen asking "Where are you, Ben?", then Ben's reply. Then the game crashes.
I've a savegame just before entering the Volture's cave, I don't know if it may help.

Also, I don't understand how to move the car... I should use the virtual keyboard (X), I guess?

Finally, the Italian version of The Dig doesn't even start. It loads for some seconds, the mouse icon appear on the top screen then it crashes and loads the debug console. The error message is:
(1:2001:0x1A46): Unknown frame subChunk found : ZFOB, 27386!
Last edited by MaxArt on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mortys

Post by Mortys »

@MaxArt : use the hover mod (up key) to drive the bike and to skeep the Exits. Go back to Left click (left key) to choose and exit.
@Agentq : The Dig (french) work as far as I play (only the intro and the beginning)
Last edited by Mortys on Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

MaxArt wrote: Finally, the Italian version of The Dig doesn't even start. It loads for some seconds, the mouse icon appear on the top screen then it crashes and loads the debug console. The error message is:
(1:20001:0x1A46): Unknown frame subChunk found : ZFOB, 27386!
I think that means the movie files have been compressed, and that this version of ScummVM doesn't support that. Have you tried using the original movie files?