Please test! Run Full Throttle and The Dig using slot-2 RAM

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mortys

Post by Mortys »

With the opera ram Pack got an error when starting the game.
Assertion failed :'##s##' at file /home/neil/br013/branch-0-13-0/backends/platform/ds/../../../engines/scumm/script.cpp, line 723
(0:1:0x9): Too many items -1 in stack list, max 100!
tirges

Post by tirges »

Hi, ... wow!

Tried it with my M3Real with the GBA Expansion Pack an my EZFlash 3in1 (NEW3in1, according to Rudolph's GBAExpLoader)

It works very well, I had some detection issues, specially after switching from EZ back to the M3 one, it kept detecting it as 'EZ', somehow I got it set to 'G6' in the end, and now I can't reproduce the issue , so..

I did encounter the crash on enabling subtitles:
error was:

Code: Select all

(5:59:0x103): invalid character in NutRenderer::getCharWidth : 240 (226)!
But I see this is spotted already...

Another problem I had was when I just let the intro run (without skipping to the first scene), at some point it crashes

Code: Select all

(1:59:0xA3): Unknown frame subChunk found :         , -1531785259!
But as I try it in the windows version, it also crashes there :-(

So after all, I have no issues :-)
Mortys

Post by Mortys »

Hi agentq got a stange display of the inventory whixh look anormaly zoomed. Don't know if it's normal.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Hi guys, thanks for your patience,

Well, I've been working on this for far too many hours and it's very late, so I don't trust myself to replace the original build.

So here's a build that appears to fix the subtitles issue:
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/scummv ... gtest2.zip

@mortys: I'm not really sure what you meanm about zoomed inventory. I'll have to fix the Opera RAM pack when I get my DS lite back next week - it doesn't fit in my DS phat.

@tirges: It sounds like your game data is corrupted in some way if it crashes on both Windows and the DS.
Echtzeit

Post by Echtzeit »

I've just testet with the ftdigtest1.zip from the first post on my SuperCard MiniSD (w/o Slot-1 card) and Full Throttle runs very good with subtitles and speech turned on. I've played up to the junkyard without any major problems.

Two minor things keep happening though, the graphics either turn white for a little while or the sound will loop for a little bit when the scene switches. But those two issues aren't a dealbreaker. Excellent work!
Last edited by Echtzeit on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mortys

Post by Mortys »

Hi Agent
As I never played Full Throttle (shame on me) before ScummVM DS I supposed taht the inventory was broken, but I think i made a mistake. Sorry for my commentary.
Great work and I'm gonna try the new build.

Edit : Just try it and works like a charm with the subtitles (on Supercard mini SD).
Covarr

Post by Covarr »

Just a question, would it be possible to get the Windows versions of various Humongous Entertainment games to run on the DS the same way?
another world

Post by another world »

AgentQ:
I'm curious, why did you skip to a build "J," or am I missing a build "I" somewhere?

Cheers,
-AW
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

@another world, well spotted! Build I is for Bud Tucker in Double Trouble, which I started working on but have not got to work fully yet.

@covarr, I thought the Windows HE games ran at 640x480, which is a major hurdle to getting them on the DS. Any that are 320x240 though might be feasable.
Mortys

Post by Mortys »

@agentq
Just try The Dig (french on M3 Simply and Supercad MIni SD) and the game seems to crash randomly on the first video (stuck on the sound) but don't go back to the console. And, I supposed you alerady notice but they're a lot of sound glitch. Not a real problem but do you think it'll be better one day ?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Just thought I'd post that the new build works OK with CycloDS Evo and EZ Flash V 3in1.
Covarr

Post by Covarr »

agentq wrote:@another world, well spotted! Build I is for Bud Tucker in Double Trouble, which I started working on but have not got to work fully yet.

@covarr, I thought the Windows HE games ran at 640x480, which is a major hurdle to getting them on the DS. Any that are 320x240 though might be feasable.
The ScummVM DS site says that the reason the Windows versions don't run on the DS is because the code to make them run requires additional RAM. I thought that the screen resolution issue would be solved by the zoom function.

But besides that, I'm pretty sure that the Windows versions of earlier ones (Putt-Putt Joins the Parade, Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon) use the same lower resolution as the MS-DOS versions, and the most significant change is in streaming background music.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

The zoom function doesn't solve the technical problems with the 640x480 games, that is there isn't enough VRAM for that large a screen. And the extra external RAM is very tricky to make use of, and not suitable for a lot of the data used by ScummVM games. This is the reason that The Dig still runs out of memory. It's also incredibly slow, much slower than the DS internal memory.

I'll look into running the low res HE games, it might be easy to get them to work.

@mortys: it might be possible to improve the stuttering in The Dig, I have a few ideas of things which would help. I'm not sure it's worth it though if the game is not fully playable anyway.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I found an odd bug which occurs on my M3 Lite with one particular DS Phat, but not the other one I have. I've updated the build to fix it.

Download is on the first post of this thread.
Mortys

Post by Mortys »

Hi agentq
After your commentary on The DIg I was wondering if it's not a good idead to squeeze this game (as you said that it should be unfinished) and make more work on Full Throttle in term of optimisation or whatever needed... Whatever you choose, what a great gift you make us !
Edit.
PS : Did the ScummVM ds can be skined as the PC version ?