Problem with Legend of Kyrandia

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dooie

Problem with Legend of Kyrandia

Post by dooie »

Hello ScummVM forum members and fellow adventure game fans,

I have got a little problem getting Legend of Kyrandia running on my DS. It does not give me an error but the screen just goes black (the DS remains on though) when I try to run it.

I have tried the necessary files from the ENG/1 folder as described here, and the same files from the ENG/2 folder. Both with two different kyra.dat files, one from the site and one from the ScummVM wiki (they were different filesizes). In both cases the resulting folder contained 231 files. In every case it worked fine on the PC. Before anyone asks, I am using build f and I have dldi patched it for my card (which is an old R4).

What am I doing wrong? I have no problems with other games, except that I can't get the subtitles to work in Simon the Sorcerer 1.

On a sidenote, may I take the opportunity to thank everyone who feels addressed for all the nostalgic joy this most excellent of excellent programs has brought me over the years!

Greetings,
Dooie
dooie

Post by dooie »

Ok, I figured it out. It was the kyra.dat file from the ds package that I had to use.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Indeed.
I noticed the kyra.dat file has had changes over time (between ScummVM 0.11 and the current version anyway).

This can cause some problems/confusion. The Ubuntu repositories for example still serve you 0.11 and you need to dig deep into the ScummVM Sourceforge page to find the right kyra.dat for that version.
Obviously you should just use a newer ScummVM version to make that problem go away, but that may not be obvious for a novice user.
EowynCarter

Post by EowynCarter »

I've been playing Kyrandia.

But the game cashes everytime I try to go in a room (the one labeled 20 on the map).
http://wiki.scummvm.org/images/3/38/Kyramap1.png
And by the way, there is a link between 18 and 20)

Is this a know bug ? Or am I doing something wrong ?
Seams someting do do with kyra.dat for ds.

Debug says : Assertion failed at file /home/neil/br10/rel/release-1-0-0/backends/kyra/sprites.cpp, line 497.
EowynCarter

Post by EowynCarter »

EowynCarter wrote:I've been playing Kyrandia.

But the game cashes everytime I try to go in a room (the one labeled 20 on the map).

Debug says : Assertion failed at file /home/neil/br10/rel/release-1-0-0/backends/kyra/sprites.cpp, line 497.
Mmm, i can't help the feeling that one of the birthstone IS when i can't go...
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

EowynCarter wrote:I've been playing Kyrandia.

Looks like your datafiles are broken. You should recopy them from your floppies / CD again (which ScummVM version and which Kyrandia version are you using btw.?)

The link seems to be missing in our map yeah :-) thanks for reporting that.
EowynCarter

Post by EowynCarter »

Looks like your datafiles are broken. You should recopy them from your floppies / CD again (which ScummVM version and which Kyrandia version are you using btw.?)
That's Scummvm 1.0.0.
I tried two different version from abandoware websites. (Floppy version, one english, one french) What bugs me there, it works on linux no problem.
I feel more like there is a sprite used at that point that acts weirdo.
I'll see if I can get something out of our kyrandia floppies, or one of our backup cd's, but given the previous results... And I'm a bit sick with Kyrandia's beginning right now.

Tanks for your answer.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

You might of noticed a certain thread about Kings Quest 5 Eowyn.
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=8313

I highlight it as if you read through it you will understand how paranoid, and rightly so, the ScummVM team are about warez etc.

I reply to you now as you mentioned trying some other versions which you got by downloading.
"But I own the game anyway!" you may say.
Doesn't matter on this forum. It also doesn't matter what other people might say. The team set the rules.
Like the wiki says 'Abandonware is not a proper legal concept.'
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Copyright_FAQ