ScummVM won't run on my HTC Touch HD anymore.

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Drule

ScummVM won't run on my HTC Touch HD anymore.

Post by Drule »

Hello!

I recently installed ScummVM CE again on my HTC Touch HD (with Windows Mobile 6.1) after doing a clean format. It seemed to work great when I gave it a quick try after the install, but now it won't even run for some reason.

What happens when I try to start it is that it opens a blank application window with the header title 'SDL_app' before closing again, and performing some kind of change to the files 'scummvm.ini', 'scummvm_stderr.txt' and 'scummvm_stdout.txt' in the ScummVM root directory.

You should know that I'm using the Winterface shell, but that should make no difference as ScummVM initially worked for me in that environment. I've also tried to run the application directly from the native file explorer, but the result is still the same.

I'm also using the Swedish version of the OS, but that shouldn't matter either as I've had no problem running ScummVM on this phone before.

I've tried all the standard solutions; reinstalling, rebooting, freeing up memory etc. etc. but nothing seems to work, so I hope you guys will be able help me with this.

Thanks.

P.S. I don't recall ScummVM CE having two executables. Was this added recently?
Lostech

Re: ScummVM won't run on my HTC Touch HD anymore.

Post by Lostech »

Drule wrote:What happens when I try to start it is that it opens a blank application window with the header title 'SDL_app' before closing again, and performing some kind of change to the files 'scummvm.ini', 'scummvm_stderr.txt' and 'scummvm_stdout.txt' in the ScummVM root directory.
Do you still use the same version (which version?) of ScummVM or did you change it?
You could also try enabling the debug mode and post whats written in the debug log (see Readme-WINCE.txt for how this can be done).

I've tried all the standard solutions; reinstalling, rebooting, freeing up memory etc. etc. but nothing seems to work, so I hope you guys will be able help me with this.
If your Winterface shell does only minimize instead of beeing really closed it still uses up your memory. Having not enough memory could cause such a crash of ScummVM during starting.
P.S. I don't recall ScummVM CE having two executables. Was this added recently?
Yes, Knakos did so. Splitting all game engines into 2 different EXE´s has the advantage that one of these "split" ScummVM EXE´s is smaller in size and does use less resources than a "big" ScummVM EXE which does have all engines active. On a regular PC are free resources not a problem but on a weak handheld it is.