iphone OS 3.0 has a feature you're going to love for scummVM

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

huntercr

iphone OS 3.0 has a feature you're going to love for scummVM

Post by huntercr »

The new "in app" purchasing feature will allow data objects to be downloaded on demand. The examples in the discussion today talked about ebooks, items in games, etc. I know we'll have to see when 3.0 SDK actually is released, but this seems to me to be some positive news.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Maybe. Maybe not. If one can use "in app" purchasing to install *arbitrary* user specified data, that's good. If it is only for data by the vendor (that's what "in app purchase" sounds to me like :), then that would only allow installing the free games we provide on our website.

Anyway, it is way to early to speculate on any of this. As usual with Apple (being a long time Apple user), I won't hold my breath on anything until it is actually being sold :).
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

It still most likely has to go through the app store, as Apple still gets 30% of the revenue for in-app purchases).

The 3.0 firmware update is very nice (been playing with it on my Touch for a couple of days now), but doesn't really improve ScummVM's situation much.

The two below points in the EULA pretty much block any way we currently have of transferring games to the device (except for developers who compile ScummVM themselves and transfer the games directly when deploying the app), so unless the new in-app purchases work very differently than expected, there's no light in the end of the tunnel yet.

"
3.3.2 An Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by any
means, including without limitation through the use of a plug-in architecture, calling other
frameworks, other APIs or otherwise. No interpreted code may be downloaded and used in
an Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple's Published APIs and built-
in interpreter(s).

3.3.3 Without Apple’s prior written approval, an Application may not provide, unlock or
enable additional features or functionality through distribution mechanisms other than the App
Store."
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

So the EULA problem is about transferring the games to the iPhone, rather than running them? So theoretically ScummVM could come pre-loaded with the freeware compatible games or the original copyright-holders could release their games with a ScummVM wrapper?
BJ_Wanlund

Post by BJ_Wanlund »

Charlii wrote:So theoretically ScummVM could come pre-loaded with the freeware compatible games or the original copyright-holders could release their games with a ScummVM wrapper?
That actually sounds like something remotely doable, if the iPhone coders created basically a codebase to use for bringing these apps to the iPhone.

But of course, I'm real new to XCode, so I wouldn't know. :p

BJ
Jacksteruk309

Post by Jacksteruk309 »

From what I could tell only paid for apps will be able to use the extra content download service.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Charlii wrote:So the EULA problem is about transferring the games to the iPhone, rather than running them? So theoretically ScummVM could come pre-loaded with the freeware compatible games or the original copyright-holders could release their games with a ScummVM wrapper?
Yep, that should absolutely be possible.

There's still the problem of not running apps in the background (see earlier threads on this), but bundling games directly would likely avoid the EULA complications.
JBroomie

Post by JBroomie »

There's still the problem of not running apps in the background (see earlier threads on this), but bundling games directly would likely avoid the EULA complications
http://gizmodo.com/5256821/rumor-apple- ... e=true&s=i

Of course I realize it's a rumor, there is always speculations and such but if this turns out to be true than would you finally consider going for it? I've read everything about ScummVM on the Appstore and understood why you couldn't, this being the main reason which is fully understandable because nobody wants to lose their data to some idiot phoning you up just when you've finally completed that puzzle on Monkey Island but with this, you'll never have to worry about it.

I'm not holding my breath but I do hope this is true. For some reason I just cannot jailbreak my iPhone after upgrading to the latest version. I did it before easily and was enjoying all these classics but with all these excellent new features and including this, I don't think there would be a single reason to jailbreak my iPhone now.