CD audio is "Raping" !?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ernie76

CD audio is "Raping" !?

Post by Ernie76 »

Hi there,

i use scummVM on the DS for quite a While an had no problems so far. Only all cd Audio games make Trouble. I can hear the sound and the cd audio musik and the sounds are ok, but the musik ist frequently interupptet like i would switch the volume fast up and down. At first i thought it was the Bitrate and that i choosed one that was to high but even lower ones dont stop the sound from "Rapping".
I have read the "how to do" here in the forum but it did not help me much.
Any hints? What audio format are u folks use and what sample rate? As i read here there are some users who did not have this problem.
Please Help.
tomten

Re: CD audio is "Raping" !?

Post by tomten »

Ernie76 wrote:Hi there,

i use scummVM on the DS for quite a While an had no problems so far. Only all cd Audio games make Trouble. I can hear the sound and the cd audio musik and the sounds are ok, but the musik ist frequently interupptet like i would switch the volume fast up and down. At first i thought it was the Bitrate and that i choosed one that was to high but even lower ones dont stop the sound from "Rapping".
I have read the "how to do" here in the forum but it did not help me much.
Any hints? What audio format are u folks use and what sample rate? As i read here there are some users who did not have this problem.
Please Help.
What flashcart have you? And what ScummVMDS version?
Ernie76

Post by Ernie76 »

I use an M3 Real an have VM version 0.11.1
Ernie76

Post by Ernie76 »

I solved it myself.
Heres what ive done. The only format the gave me sound was MP3 so i play around a little with it.
I used the freeware "Super" Encoder an codet all audio files to

Format: MP3
Sampling Frequence: 11025
Channels: 1
Bitrate : 32

and it worked fine and even with this minimal settings it sounds very good.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

If I recall M3 uses µSD cards.
Is the card you have small?
I ask as from what I recall it's the only reason for using mp3 with ScummVMds. For example if you want to compress files like the SamnMax sound file.
If you want CD (red book) audio from games like the first Monkey Island, Gobliiins and Loom the general way to achieve this is to extract the audio in uncompressed wav format with CDex and then convert to wav IMA ADPCM 22050Hz 4bit mono. I use Goldwave to do it but the full version isn't free. I believe Audacity, which is free, also works.
I have a 2GB card and I've never had to use mp3 but if your card is really small then mp3 helps although it will give you slowdown.
You said you read the how to. You did notice the part about mp3 will give you slowdown right?

http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/#mp3
Ernie76

Post by Ernie76 »

Ich have an 8GB micro SD card in my M3 REAL amd i played Zak Trough ( yea a little marathon ) and started LOOM and Monkey 1 with CD audio and i had no Slowdowns in the whole Zak and none so far in loom or monkey. I hav convertet the files like u said but the was no sound to hear. A frind tryed it to ( he has the same card ) and he has the same problem ( of course not jet enymore).
So from what i can say if u use my settings MP3 does fine. And why the hell should i convert the sam and max sound ??? Scumm playes the original musik and speech ( monstersound ) just fine !
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Ernie76 wrote:Ich have an 8GB micro SD card in my M3 REAL amd i played Zak Trough ( yea a little marathon ) and started LOOM and Monkey 1 with CD audio and i had no Slowdowns in the whole Zak and none so far in loom or monkey. I hav convertet the files like u said but the was no sound to hear.
I didn't tell you to convert anything

"A frind tryed it to ( he has the same card ) and he has the same problem ( of course not jet enymore).
So from what i can say if u use my settings MP3 does fine. And why the hell should i convert the sam and max sound ??? Scumm playes the original musik and speech ( monstersound ) just fine !"

I din't say convert it. I said if you have a small, as in 128MB for example, micro SD card you might want to convert it which is only repeating what the guide says you might want to do.
Out of interest what did you convert to mp3? Was it the redbook CD audio from Monkey Island 1? I've never heard of that but if it works for you then that's great. Audio like the Monkey Island redbook CD audio is usually converted to compressed wav 4 bit mono, like it says in the guide, but I repeat if you got it to work with mp3 then I'm happy for you.

I got the impression from your post you are angry with me. If that's the case sorry. I was trying to help. That's all.