Problem with ScummVM on Ubuntu (PPC based machine)

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Gamemakerman

Problem with ScummVM on Ubuntu (PPC based machine)

Post by Gamemakerman »

Hi guys.

I just installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my Playstation 3 and it runs great so far. One of the first things i did was to install the ScummmVM install from the source within the Add/Remove program.

ScummVM ran great within Ubuntu and The Curse of Monkey Island ran great on it. After setting it to HQ3 rendering mode and turning full screen on, it still ran very good. But then i went ahead and turned the aspect ratio option on, and now the program will not start. I've tried deleting the program from the installer and reinstalled it, but it still wont run.

I've checked for all the files that could still be on the machine and delte them, reinstalling the program, but still no luck.

Can anyone here help me on this issue? I think its the configuration file that is still around somewhere, but i simply just cannot find it.

/Gamemakerman
id1402

Post by id1402 »

configuration file: ~/.scummvmrc
~ is your home directory. Point at the beginning makes the file hidden.
Gamemakerman

Post by Gamemakerman »

It cant find such a folder. Seems like it has been removed, but the program is still not running. I find this very odd considering it ran earlier.

If i want to excute to program from Terminal, what command should i use?
Gamemakerman

Post by Gamemakerman »

Got it to run, it was the config file as i suspected, got it all via Terminal, great feature!

Now i'm whining over making the thing work, is there any way that i can make the game fill 100% of the screen, because i'm having black bars around the entire screen?
id1402

Post by id1402 »

Gamemakerman wrote:It cant find such a folder.
Which folder?
~ is a short expression for your home directory. Do you know "home directory" in linux? There are many programs which save their configuration file as a hidden file in the home directory.
Gamemakerman

Post by Gamemakerman »

id1402 wrote:
Gamemakerman wrote:It cant find such a folder.
Which folder?
~ is a short expression for your home directory. Do you know "home directory" in linux? There are many programs which save their configuration file as a hidden file in the home directory.
Yeah, but when i tried finding it, i couldnt access anything there. I got it to work with the terminal command line and the scummvm help within it.

Still, you did get me there, thanks. You also wouldnt know how i can get the screen streched to the max vertical pixels on my tv?
id1402

Post by id1402 »

Don't know. Probably it's a problem with your xorg configuration. You have a tv connected to tv-out in graphic card?
Maybe this can help you:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_ ... aphics_tab

There are some threads here concerning aspect ratio. Use "search" function.
Gamemakerman

Post by Gamemakerman »

id1402 wrote:Don't know. Probably it's a problem with your xorg configuration. You have a tv connected to tv-out in graphic card?
Maybe this can help you:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_ ... aphics_tab

There are some threads here concerning aspect ratio. Use "search" function.
Since i'm using a Playstation 3, it would be very hard for me to switch it into a lower resolution on the fly, so i guess this will have to do.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Gamemakerman wrote: Now i'm whining over making the thing work, is there any way that i can make the game fill 100% of the screen, because i'm having black bars around the entire screen?
No, this is not possible, unless your screen resolution fits the 1x, 2x or 3x scaler perfectly with the aspect ratio option.

A solution to this would be to make an OpenGL scaler to scale the image to any random resolution. (I'm thinking about the VMWare screen stretch option here) The devs here have said however that using OpenGL is beyond the scope of this project.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

bobdevis wrote: A solution to this would be to make an OpenGL scaler to scale the image to any random resolution. (I'm thinking about the VMWare screen stretch option here) The devs here have said however that using OpenGL is beyond the scope of this project.
There used to be an OpenGL backend actually, though from what I remember it didn't have the "stretch to arbitrary resolution" feature. It was removed because there was no one to maintain it.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

bobdevis wrote:
Gamemakerman wrote: A solution to this would be to make an OpenGL scaler to scale the image to any random resolution. (I'm thinking about the VMWare screen stretch option here) The devs here have said however that using OpenGL is beyond the scope of this project.
That's not quite correct: A backend could very well use OpenGL (or DirectX, or whatever) to scale game graphics to arbitrary resolutions. And I think some of our ports (esp. to game consoles) do that, too. It's just that the SDL backend, which is used under Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, ..., does not implement this.

What is out of scope, however, is support for 3D adventures. That's a different story, though :-).
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

fingolfin wrote:It's just that the SDL backend, which is used under Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, ..., does not implement this.
Aaah. Just to be sure, you are not talking about the limitation of the SDL libs themselves, but just about how ScummVM calls them, right?
In that case, I hope you guys find the time to make this happen.
It would be simply awesome if you have a multi monitor setup. Resolution switching with 2 monitors can be problematic and unwanted, so a full screen stretch would rock. It would blend out the pixels nicely too and you will lose the problem of the 3x scaler not being enough for really big screens.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

bobdevis wrote:
fingolfin wrote:It's just that the SDL backend, which is used under Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, ..., does not implement this.
Aaah. Just to be sure, you are not talking about the limitation of the SDL libs themselves, but just about how ScummVM calls them, right?
In that case, I hope you guys find the time to make this happen.
Actually, neither is correct :-). It's not a limitation of SDL, nor is about the way we call it. SDL does not prevent us from doing it, but it doesn't do it for us either. Somebody has to sit down and design and write that code. So far, nobody with the ability to code this has been interested enough, I guess. Part of the problem might be that we wouldn't accept a crudy quick&dirty hack for it, but rather, it'd have to be implemented cleanly and portably, which sets the bar even higher :).
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Oh man, you so made me wish I were good enough with cpp right now.... I would have build the Linux Pulseaudio interface too you know :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

bobdevis wrote:I would have build the Linux Pulseaudio interface too you know :)
I thought SDL could already use PulseAudio. I've never tried it myself, though. To me, sound servers have always been a solution in desperate need of a problem.