Android version (G1)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sblaise84
Got a warning

Android version (G1)

Post by sblaise84 »

Who's got a G1 with scummvm? And is there a different android version than the one on the G1 market place? Also request to the dev's could we have a seperate G1 forum? I think its starting to get popular enough
Last edited by sblaise84 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gus
ScummVM Porter

Re: Android version (G1)

Post by gus »

sblaise84 wrote:Who's got a G1 with scummvm? And is there a different android version than the one on the G1 market place?
The patch I made is in the scummvm patches queue (but not yet in svn) - you could apply that and build your own scummvm.apk.

Is there some change in particular you were looking for?
sblaise84
Got a warning

Post by sblaise84 »

Well basically I was looking for those saga engine fixes to be added. Also noticed my sam n max freezes sometimes when adding new locations to the map. Don't know if there's a fix for that. Otherwise keyboard functions and i wish the touchscreen was a lil better I have trouble clicking small objects and dialog responses. I already said this in the other g1 port forum though. Also I don't know how to build my own .apk with the patch. How does that work I would try it if u spoon feed me the instructions.
sblaise84
Got a warning

Post by sblaise84 »

Oh and where exactly is the patch? I just looked thru the downlosds section n don't see it!
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

We only add subforums for official ScummVM ports, as we can only support these. Hence, there won't be an Android/G1 subforum as long as that part is not an official one.

As for the patch: It is in the ScummVM patch tracker, which you can e.g. find via the ScummVM homepage. Right now, we are waiting for gus to react to our comments to get this closer towards being ready for inclusion :).
sblaise84
Got a warning

Post by sblaise84 »

thank you for the info. still don't know how to make a new .apk
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

sblaise84 wrote:thank you for the info. still don't know how to make a new .apk
Sigh... You've asked this in 3-4 other threads already! Please, do not crosspost, it's not nice, and you won't get any answers by repeatedly asking...
sblaise84
Got a warning

Post by sblaise84 »

fingolfin wrote: As for the patch: It is in the ScummVM patch tracker, which you can e.g. find via the ScummVM homepage. Right now, we are waiting for gus to react to our comments to get this closer towards being ready for inclusion :).
I was responding to this. I hadn't seen it until after I asked in the other threads. Also I removed my question from the other threads.
Grendalsh

Official port?

Post by Grendalsh »

Just downloaded the scummvm from the andriod marketplace and came here for support. Interesting that your client would be released ported for a new platform thru a mainstream distribution channel, but not be 'officially supported'. So what's required to achieve this status?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Well, we cannot stop people from taking our GPLed code and distributing it in any way. In theory, Microsoft could bundle ScummVM with Windows 7, as long as they released all source modifications they made. The fact that a ScummVM port is available via the Android marketplace was done by a 3rd party (gus), the ScummVM team was not involved in this any way, and in fact only learned about it after the fact. :).

To become an official port, all changes required to make ScummVm run on the new system must be cleaned up to meet our quality criteria; they must then be merged into the Subversion tree, with active help from the porter. Finally, the porter must become team member, to ensure we can provide support for the port. (We do not want to officially support stuff that we cannot test).
elmotheelk

Post by elmotheelk »

I LOVE ScummVM and especially now that I can run it on my G1. I know it's not officially supported but maybe someone can still answer my question:

I have played some part of the amazing The Secret of Monkey Island (1). But I wanted to continue playing on my desktop so I wanted to transfer the save game. I couldn't find it on my device and tried setting the save path of the game to /sdcard/scumm (for example) but (stupid of me) now I still can't find the save files AND cannot continue the game on my G1 since ScummVM can't find the save games any more as well...

Does anyone know where on the Android device save games are stored when it's Save Path is left to Default? Can I acces this directory without root access to my G1?

Thanks! Although it's a great game, Monkey Island, I rather continue where I left it than to play the game all over.
gus
ScummVM Porter

Post by gus »

elmotheelk wrote:Does anyone know where on the Android device save games are stored when it's Save Path is left to Default? Can I acces this directory without root access to my G1?
Savegames are in /data/data/org.inode.gus.scummvm/app_saves/

Looking at my phone now I *think* you'll be able to overwrite an existing savegame but not create new ones without root.

(As not-root) you'll have executable perms on the perent directories (but not read or write) and the save files seem to be read-write. So I think you can create a few placeholder savegames in scummvm and then copy over them from a terminal. You won't be able to 'ls' the directory so you'll have to type the filenames blind.

Yes I know that's all pretty silly. One day I might run a companion app that will export and import save files easily.
elmotheelk

Post by elmotheelk »

Thanks for your reaction, gus.

I tried copying the save save by opening a virtual terminal and typing:
cp /data/data/org.inode.gus.scummvm/app_saves/monkey.s01 /sdcard

Unfortunately this gave a error:
cp: Permission denied
So it didn't really help. But don't worry, I was able to quickly play the game upon the point where I was so I don't really need them any more right now.

For the future, it might indeed be nice to be able to 'export' (copy) a saved game form the default location to your sd card or at least set the directory path back to the default after changing it.

Anyway it really is a minor problem and I am already very happy to be able to run the games so nicely on my G1. Thanks again.
badbob001

Post by badbob001 »

gus wrote: Savegames are in /data/data/org.inode.gus.scummvm/app_saves/
Yes I know that's all pretty silly. One day I might run a companion app that will export and import save files easily.
Why not just have save games write to the sd card? There isn't that much space on the phone already.
elmotheelk

Post by elmotheelk »

badbob001 wrote: Why not just have save games write to the sd card? There isn't that much space on the phone already.
You can already set this yourself and this works nicely. Just do it before starting a new game.