No Amiga Port?

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

BinoX

No Amiga Port?

Post by BinoX »

On the homepage (and I remember in the news a while back) it said that the amiga version has been incorporated in, how come there isn't any binary downloads?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Just the port maintainer haven't provide us with the build.

Eugene
Thematic

Post by Thematic »

You can download the AmigaOS binary (PPC) here: http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?funct ... cummvm.lha
Dwyloc

Post by Dwyloc »

New 0.8.1 release of scummVM for Amga OS4 is now on Aminet at : http://aminet.net/package.php?package=g ... cummvm.lha if anyone is intrested.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Please note that these builds are not official binaries, and as such we do not provide support for them.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

fingolfin wrote:Please note that these builds are not official binaries, and as such we do not provide support for them.
What has to be done to let the binaries become "official"?
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Probably finding a permanent, official maintainer.

Amiga ports are build by different people with every new version, since the "official" maintainer (Hans-Jorg Frieden) is busy with AmigaOS 4. It doesn't help harmonizing the ports and I think some of them even use custom backends.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Kaminari wrote:Probably finding a permanent, official maintainer.

Amiga ports are build by different people with every new version, since the "official" maintainer (Hans-Jorg Frieden) is busy with AmigaOS 4. It doesn't help harmonizing the ports and I think some of them even use custom backends.
Well, i managed to compile the first build of ScummVM on OS4 myself tonight, and as i'm a complete beginner
on this field, i don't have that many other things in the queue.
I wouldn't be able to provide daily builds, but regular builds (at least once in a month for example) should be possible for me.
Custom backends
No, at least not under OS4, maybe you are talking about the MorphOS port, this one is build with a custom backend.
OS4 ports always were SDL based.

Anyway, if the ScummVM maintainers would like me to do an "official" port, i'd love to be of help! :-)

Hopefully, i won't run into any problems, now that it has build ONCE! :roll:
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Raziel wrote:Anyway, if the ScummVM maintainers would like me to do an "official" port, i'd love to be of help! :-)

Personally I see no problem here, but since you're beginner and relatively new here, we need to make sure your builds work well for other users. Also do you build from release source tarball? And if there is a problem with build in the future, say, some game does not work in some particular situation, what would you suggest to do? Will you be able to submit fixes for that peoblem or at least be handy so other devs try to fix it and you test it?

Eugene
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

sev wrote:
Raziel wrote:Anyway, if the ScummVM maintainers would like me to do an "official" port, i'd love to be of help! :-)

Personally I see no problem here, but since you're beginner and relatively new here, we need to make sure your builds work well for other users. Also do you build from release source tarball? And if there is a problem with build in the future, say, some game does not work in some particular situation, what would you suggest to do? Will you be able to submit fixes for that peoblem or at least be handy so other devs try to fix it and you test it?
Eugene
I will submit the builds to http://os4depot.net, full releases (0.8.0, 0.8.1) and cvs builds (when i have the time to do them)
There are people using and enjoying ScummVM, so i will get info when something's wrong

Tarball: Yes

Problems: Well, i know of some problems the OS4 build already has, the most common is the not working Indy3 FMTowns game.
I, myself can do little upto nothing to do fixes, but i'm reachable when someone needs me.
(I hope real-life is not a problem? I'm at work, often ten to fourteen days away without a chance to get internet access)

But i will try to get to IRC, when possible
Capehill

Post by Capehill »

Kaminari wrote:Probably finding a permanent, official maintainer.

The history with AmigaOS 4 port goes like this:

Hans-Jörg Frieden did the original work upto 0.6.x. A friend of mine asked me to update to 0.7.x and I did it, with the help of Hans-Jörg's sources. I also sent a patch(es) to the CVS which were eventually and kindly accepted. So I guess I'm the official maintainer currently until someone wants to take over the maintaining. I am aware that "frak" has made public CVS builds but so far he hasn't contacted me about this. If he or Raziel want to become the new maintainer(s), I will happily retire because my real life is rather busy.

Maintaining isn't currently anything hard since there is a minimal amount of the backend code, but some knowledge of C++ would become very handy.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Capehill wrote: So I guess I'm the official maintainer currently until someone wants to take over the maintaining.
Yes, you are, and I sent you several e-mails already with request to build the port. May you do it? Also please, subscribe to scummvm-devel if you haven't. Now we need 0.8.2 build.

Eugene
Capehill

Post by Capehill »

sev wrote:
Capehill wrote: So I guess I'm the official maintainer currently until someone wants to take over the maintaining.
Yes, you are, and I sent you several e-mails already with request to build the port. May you do it? Also please, subscribe to scummvm-devel if you haven't. Now we need 0.8.2 build.

Eugene
Sure. It was being tested yesterday. I try to upload it ASAP.
Gerry

ScummVM 0.9.0 m68k is built

Post by Gerry »

Hello,

I have portet scummvm 0.9.0 m68k for AmgiaOS.
I want to release it to scummvm.org, after including the optional libraries for mpeg2 etc.

Greetings
Gerry

PS: see the other thread "ScummVM for AmigaOS" for further informations ;-)