Some doubts

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Maxrunner

Some doubts

Post by Maxrunner »

Whats the biggest sd card the wii can read???I assume i can also plug an usb harddrive now, right?
Does the king quest games compatibilty refer to the vga ones or old ones???
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

The AGI engine (stable engine) support only the AGI (non-VGA) King's Quest games (1-3 + 4 AGI).

The brand new SCI engine (not stable) supports the VGA games, but it's not really usable just yet. Will be in the near future though.

And SDHC cards are supported, but with varying success. I don't know of a brand which works perfectly with libogc.
Maxrunner

Post by Maxrunner »

Bossk wrote:The AGI engine (stable engine) support only the AGI (non-VGA) King's Quest games (1-3 + 4 AGI).

The brand new SCI engine (not stable) supports the VGA games, but it's not really usable just yet. Will be in the near future though.

And SDHC cards are supported, but with varying success. I don't know of a brand which works perfectly with libogc.
what about external usb hard drives?i assume it supports, since games like monkey island 3 take some space....
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I've used USB sticks before so I know they work (San Disk 2GB U3 Cruzer).
I'd assume the external USB hard drives work although not having tried it I don't want to say that's definite. I say that just to cover myself as I don't want you buying one and find it doesn't work. I'd feel as though I should refund you the money wasted.
But I can't see why they wouldn't work.

With SD cards always try to get a good make (SanDisk, Kingston) and if possible the highest class.
Don't buy SD 4GB cards. SDHC 4GB is OK.
With SDHC try to stay under 32GB. In theory they can be pushed to 2TB but anything over 32GB isn't a standard, like SD over 2GB.
At CES in January SDXC was announced. I think they will have a 'standard' of 2TB. That is a lot of data. You'll need to wait until SDXC support is announced for ScummVMWii though. Some of the older Wii homebrew doesn't support SDHC yet.
Maxrunner

Post by Maxrunner »

Red_Breast wrote:I've used USB sticks before so I know they work (San Disk 2GB U3 Cruzer).
I'd assume the external USB hard drives work although not having tried it I don't want to say that's definite. I say that just to cover myself as I don't want you buying one and find it doesn't work. I'd feel as though I should refund you the money wasted.
But I can't see why they wouldn't work.

With SD cards always try to get a good make (SanDisk, Kingston) and if possible the highest class.
Don't buy SD 4GB cards. SDHC 4GB is OK.
With SDHC try to stay under 32GB. In theory they can be pushed to 2TB but anything over 32GB isn't a standard, like SD over 2GB.
At CES in January SDXC was announced. I think they will have a 'standard' of 2TB. That is a lot of data. You'll need to wait until SDXC support is announced for ScummVMWii though. Some of the older Wii homebrew doesn't support SDHC yet.
So SDHC will work, but im not following, does the wii support SDHC from the get go??if not how do i run the homebrew channel in the first place?Or do i need to boot with the standard sd card first and then change cards.

Also i have an external hdd, ill try later.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Homebrew channel supports SDHC. If you're trying with no luck maybe it's an old HBC.
I use a 4GB SDHC SanDisk.

It just occured to me what you're asking. Do you mean actually installing the HBC? If so then I would of thought it still should work anyway. The thing is I also have a 2GB SD Kingston card that I installed HBC with so I'm not 100% definite on that.
Maxrunner

Post by Maxrunner »

Red_Breast wrote:Homebrew channel supports SDHC. If you're trying with no luck maybe it's an old HBC.

It just occured to me what you're asking. Do you mean actually installing the HBC? If so then I would of thought it still should work anyway. The thing is I also have a 2GB SD Kingston card that I installed HBC with so I'm not 100% definite on that.
Does the the homebrew channel update automatically??
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Maxrunner wrote:
Red_Breast wrote:Homebrew channel supports SDHC. If you're trying with no luck maybe it's an old HBC.

Does the the homebrew channel update automatically??
I think so. You know you're connected when the bottom right globe icon next to the gecko icon is white instead of greyed out.
I never have my Wii connected online. I'm always suspicious of Nintendo doing a sneaky and set updates to install automatically instead of manually. Or say a friend is round and accidentally updates it when I'm not in the room thinking that they was doing me a favour.
Not to mention the heat the Wii gives off when in standby WiiConnect24 mode.

I think that HBC is at 1.0.1 now.
Mr_Nick666

Post by Mr_Nick666 »

I can confirm a USB HDD works fine (I play SCUMM using my 80gb pocket HDD - fully powered by the Wii) :wink:
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I have a 640 GB external HDD and it does not work on the Wii. It's not a flash drive or anything, it's got an actual motor like a regular hard drive and all that or whatever. I have to actually plug it into a wall outlet. It doesn't get it's power from the USB port.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I don't know if it would have something to do with it but aren't there 2 types of external USB hard drive.
I'm not entirely sure but can't you get those that are totally enclosed and others which are a case and you put a hard drive into yourself and use a IDE or SATA connection on the inside.
Maybe that's what you have Musically? I think they can be purchased with a hard drive already fitted as well so you don't need to connect it yourself.
Maybe that's why it doesn't work but this is all a guess. In the end it still goes through USB.
Also I'm not sure if the 1.0/1.1 or 2.0 USB versions might have something to do with all this.
Whatever I'm glad you posted Musically. I'd just assumed they all worked before.
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

Are you sure it's FAT32 formatted? NTFS is not supported.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I realized that after I posted. It's an NTFS drive. That's why it doesn't work.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I didn't think of the most obvious :roll: