General sound sync question

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jason

General sound sync question

Post by Jason »

I'm playing Sam and Max using ScummVM, and I'm noticing that the speech is slightly out-of-sync with the characters' mouth movements. I'm not necessarily looking for a specific solution to this problem, but rather some leads on how I could make it better. Is this particular issue a function of the sound option I'm using, or the video option, or both? I'm basically looking for a direction to go before I start randomly trying to troubleshoot.

Thanks!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: General sound sync question

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Jason wrote:I'm playing Sam and Max using ScummVM, and I'm noticing that the speech is slightly out-of-sync with the characters' mouth movements. I'm not necessarily looking for a specific solution to this problem, but rather some leads on how I could make it better. Is this particular issue a function of the sound option I'm using, or the video option, or both? I'm basically looking for a direction to go before I start randomly trying to troubleshoot.

Thanks!
I don't know. On my system, it seems pretty synced. Mouths move while the speech is running, and stop when the speech ends. The subtitles may remain for a while longer, but that can be configured.

I guess it could depend on how much delay there is between ScummVM asking the operating system to play the sound and the operating system actually playing it. I know we've gotten some bug reports for Linux where the answer has turned out to be "kill that sound server you're using".
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I must say that the audio sync with the lipmovements are not that perfect when runnning the orginals either. For example in Sam&Max there are several scenes where the lips are moving after the sound has stopped, and ScummVM is behaving exactly the same, which is exactly what I would expect.

And I must say I am really surprised how well the synching work, on even the slowest of devices.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I had noticed some differences on my iBook but I'm not that bothered about it ... everything else seems to be fine, so I'm happy!!!

Jimbob