Lands of Lore on the DS?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

md5 wrote:
Red_Breast wrote:Only having played with DS homebrew for about 9 months I don't know about all the homebrew avaliable for it but I've never heard of an app to take screen dumps.
I didn't say he took the screenshot from the DS ;) . Read warpdesign's answer, that's the reason I said it's a photoshop job :)
Yeah when I read what warpdesign said as well it all made sense.
That would take some work. :oops:
I blame it on trying to get online with Linux the past few days and at one point almost picking up the PC and throwing it through the window. I feel like a nervous wreck. :x :evil: :twisted:
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

Sorry, doesn´t meant to fake anything, it was just a picture from a german documentation, about converting rpgs to the DS.

(google: lands of lore ds, firts entry)
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

I've done my own build and Lands of Lore looks to be working pretty well in the latest SVN. I've only played the early stages of the game so I can't guarantee it won't fall apart later but I've not had any problems yet. It's on my website for anyone who wants to give it a go.
another world

Post by another world »

Red_Breast wrote:Only having played with DS homebrew for about 9 months I don't know about all the homebrew avaliable for it but I've never heard of an app to take screen dumps.
you can dldi patch and run homebrew from some nds emus on the pc. after that its quick to make a screen capture.

-another world
Luminious

Post by Luminious »

Works great Pix2 , got stuck though at Gladstone returning to speak with King Richard to let him know of the dark armies arrival. Maybe needs more ram, gonna purchase the extended ram to see if it will get past the black screen sound skipping of death though.

Very smooth though over all, sounds great too with full talk. Had absolutely no problems at all with it, until I hit that game stopping moment.

~Lumi
Luminious

Re: Lands on the DS build or regular build?

Post by Luminious »

Mr_Figlio wrote:Does this mean that Lands of Lore works somewhat? Would that be the DS build or the regular one?
Yes, Lands of Lore works. Whatever Pix2 did, tweaked with the scumm latest version and made it work. I am not sure why Scumm here is denying that Lands does not work when it does. Maybe rights issues or because *their* version is not working. They need to seriously start pursuing this issue because it is possible.

With Pix2 build, I was able to get quite far before having a game stopping issue.

Played Full Introdution / No Errors and smooth animation+sound

Progress in game:

1) obtained writ, left by sea to arrive to new location

2) Went to the manor, killed the orc boss and met up with the dying man.

3) Was informed Dark Army was approaching, have to return to King Richard.

4) Clicked on the doors to enter throne room, black screen + sound skip,skip,skip,skip,skip etc.

5) **Game Stopped** as I was attempting to tell King Richard of the Dark Army approach.

Played a nice little chunk here of the game, lot longer than just freezing up at the title screen everyone here on Scumm claims does. In fact, I got further here in Lands of Lore than I ever did with Legend of Kyrandia: Hand of Fate for DS. I'm thinking about getting the extended ram for slot 2 to see if that may help get me past my stuck spot but so far everything is smooth. I get full voice and sound without skips or error.

~Luminious
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Luminious wrote:
Mr_Figlio wrote:Does this mean that Lands of Lore works somewhat? Would that be the DS build or the regular one?
Yes, Lands of Lore works. Whatever Pix2 did, tweaked with the scumm latest version and made it work. I am not sure why Scumm here is denying that Lands does not work when it does. Maybe rights issues or because *their* version is not working. They need to seriously start pursuing this issue because it is possible.
This already is "our" version. We are also not "denying" anything.
But (a) we simply disable incomplete engines in release versions because they are not yet completely finished and need more work before ready for public consumption. That can even affect engines that are 95% complete and might *appear* ready to you; but trust me, we usually have good reasons to do what we do.
And (b) our team is very active and working hard on improving support for games. Since e.g. April lots of things changed.

Please do your own homework and get your facts straight before asking others to "pursue an issue" ;).
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Luminious: Pix2 is merely compiling his own version of ScummVM. The real work on Lands of Lore was done by athrxx and LordHoto. Please, get your facts straight before jumping to incorrect assumptions.
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

Was just about to say the same thing. It's the standard build apart from a bit of messing around with the music code. I've not done anything to make it work. I got the same problem with the cutscene when you try to go back to the throne room.

I thought I might be able to get around it for now by copying my savegame to my PC, playing that bit, saving and copying them back over. The savegame loaded up ok in Windows but the DS couldn't see it when I copied it back over. It looks like we will have to wait a while before this is playable on DS. It was working really well up to that point so its not far off. I'm usually all for playing scummVM on PSP but Lands of Lore is far more playable with the touch screen.
Luminious

Post by Luminious »

md5 wrote:Luminious: Pix2 is merely compiling his own version of ScummVM. The real work on Lands of Lore was done by athrxx and LordHoto. Please, get your facts straight before jumping to incorrect assumptions.

Golf Clap?...

...Golf Clap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmjHT5GpAYQ
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Luminious wrote:
md5 wrote:Luminious: Pix2 is merely compiling his own version of ScummVM. The real work on Lands of Lore was done by athrxx and LordHoto. Please, get your facts straight before jumping to incorrect assumptions.

Golf Clap?...

...Golf Clap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmjHT5GpAYQ
Troll?....

...troll

Luminious

Post by Luminious »

Pix2 wrote:Was just about to say the same thing. It's the standard build apart from a bit of messing around with the music code. I've not done anything to make it work. I got the same problem with the cutscene when you try to go back to the throne room.

I thought I might be able to get around it for now by copying my savegame to my PC, playing that bit, saving and copying them back over. The savegame loaded up ok in Windows but the DS couldn't see it when I copied it back over. It looks like we will have to wait a while before this is playable on DS. It was working really well up to that point so its not far off. I'm usually all for playing scummVM on PSP but Lands of Lore is far more playable with the touch screen.
Hey Pix2, did you happen to try ez flash 3-in-1 expansion card for Extended Ram to see if you can get past the throne room part?