Illegal Distrubution of ScummVM

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

wfeltmate

Illegal Distrubution of ScummVM

Post by wfeltmate »

If any of you keep up with the goings on at links removed then you are bound to have heard about Argon and the new channel they have released.

Essentially it is a channel that is DRM locked to a modchip that they sell, but to install the channel it uses (with out permission) various software, such as the twilight hack, as well as completely illegal software like the leaked IOS16. All around this channel is one huge copyright violation.

The issue here is that they are including and distributing software to use with their channel that is freely available elsewhere, without the need to use their software. One such piece of software, as the subject suggests, is ScummVM.

You guys may want to get in contact with them demanding the removal of your software from their service.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

I'm aware of the situation, and already checked what can be done about it. Same applies to MPlayer btw, i did the initial port of that version too :\

I'll keep you updated...
wfeltmate

Post by wfeltmate »

DMCA takedown notices seem to be the in thing right about now lol
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I don't know about the rest, but are they actually violating the letter of the ScummVM license? I don't know how this Wii thing works...
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

I sent them an email a few days ago, asking to remove MPlayer and ScummVM. Today they responded and they indeed removed the packages :)
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

"We shall dimostrate to GOD MARCAN even without his help" blah blah blah. (Argon)

Sorry I couldn't resist. By the way nothing against our Russian comrades but does anybody else get that picture of an evil Russian bad guy like from the old Bond films when you see the way demonstrate is spelt.