Eye of the Beholder 1,2 or 3 Possible for ScummVM?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Luminious

Eye of the Beholder 1,2 or 3 Possible for ScummVM?

Post by Luminious »

Hey, just a quick question. Would it be possible for scummVM to run SSI's Eye of the Beholder 1 , 2 or maybe even 3? Not sure if they take up a whole lot of ram and its all mouse click anyhow. What are your thoughts?

If not Eye of the Beholder, what about Dark Sun: Shattered lands or wake of the ravager?

- Lumi
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Eye of the Beholder 1,2 or 3 Possible for ScummVM?

Post by DrMcCoy »

Luminious wrote:Hey, just a quick question. Would it be possible for scummVM to run SSI's Eye of the Beholder 1 , 2 or maybe even 3? Not sure if they take up a whole lot of ram and its all mouse click anyhow. What are your thoughts?
You do not seem to understand the nature of ScummVM.

ScummVM is a collection of game engine reimplementations, most of which were achieved by reverse engineering, at long, hard and tedious process.

Adding support for a new game is no simple hand-weave away. It takes a lot of time and skill.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

The Spectalum project seems to be about getting Eye of the Beholder 2, but apparently there has been little or no activity in the past year and a half. I don't have the game myself, so I don't know how much progress they made before that.

Anyway, RPG games are probably outside ScummVM's scope, except when they can be supported by extending an existing engine. For instance, the Elvira games almost certainly wouldn't be supported if they didn't use the AGOS engine.
clem

Post by clem »

I think some EOB game is somehow related to Lands of Lore, which in turn is related to Kyrandia. (fileformats, probably scripts)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The EOB series was developed by Westwood, so it's natural that they share some code/file formats with Lands of Lore
Luminious

Just a thought

Post by Luminious »

Ya the reason why I think those games will work is that they are low on RAM titles. I believe they just might be under 4 megs of ram, that, and how it has total mouse control. Perhaps future projects may want to look into this title. With all due respect, Kyrandia 1 seems much more powerful a title that Eye of the Beholder 1 or 2 (3 may be stretching it). If they do have similar code, just may work right?

- Lumi :?:
md5
ScummVM Developer

Re: Just a thought

Post by md5 »

Luminious wrote:Ya the reason why I think those games will work is that they are low on RAM titles. I believe they just might be under 4 megs of ram, that, and how it has total mouse control. Perhaps future projects may want to look into this title. With all due respect, Kyrandia 1 seems much more powerful a title that Eye of the Beholder 1 or 2 (3 may be stretching it). If they do have similar code, just may work right?

- Lumi :?:
Someone needs to rewrite the engine for each game, a very lengthy and hard task, as mentioned already. The fact that Kyrandia seems more resource hungry to you is irrelevant to this discussion. Also, the fact that the games might have superficial similarities in the file formats they use does not make them the same - it's like saying that all games that have AVI videos are the same. So no, it won't "just work"
SonataFanatica

Post by SonataFanatica »

I'm probably not telling you any new stuff here but you might want to try out the GameBoy Advance version of "Eye Of The Beholder 1" on your DS. I know it's a bit inferior (especially when it comes to combat), sadly, but it's better than nothing.
Guybrush_Threepwood

Post by Guybrush_Threepwood »

Well, there actually is another way of playing EOB 1 on your DS: via SNEmuldS (works fine on my setup) as a SNES rom. It is a bit of work finding the right settings for the layers and all, but it sure does look better than the GBA version. You can even save. Knock yourself out!
Dr. No-Brain

Post by Dr. No-Brain »

DrMcCoy wrote:
Luminious wrote:Hey, just a quick question. Would it be possible for scummVM to run SSI's Eye of the Beholder 1 , 2 or maybe even 3? Not sure if they take up a whole lot of ram and its all mouse click anyhow. What are your thoughts?
You do not seem to understand the nature of ScummVM.

ScummVM is a collection of game engine reimplementations, most of which were achieved by reverse engineering, at long, hard and tedious process.

Adding support for a new game is no simple hand-weave away. It takes a lot of time and skill.
It surely DOES take a LOT of time - but as you have LOLore already in, it won't be that much poop if you add only one EotB chapter - the one closest to LOLore.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Dr. No-Brain wrote:It surely DOES take a LOT of time - but as you have LOLore already in, it won't be that much poop if you add only one EotB chapter - the one closest to LOLore.
EoB 1+2 won't be supported by ScummVM since they are RPGs and our stance is not to support non-adventures when too much additional code has to be included.
PaullyG

Post by PaullyG »

The DOS versions should run fine in DSx86 or DS2x86 anyway.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Wow! THREAD NECROMANCY!

I really hope you didn't come here just to show off that emulator, mr I-got-1-post-and-I'm-posting-in-the-most-irrelevant-thread

EOB1 and 2 will now run in ScummVM, not sure if they'll run on a DS. EOB3 is using a totally different engine, and was created by a different company.
PaullyG

Post by PaullyG »

The thread was still on the first page due to the low activity in here, may have been a long time since the last post but it was probably still getting views. I just figured I'd post that solution seeing it hadn't been mentioned and may be of use to people other than the OP. AFAIK there's nothing to indicate that EOB I/II is supported via ScummVM on DS yet.

I'm not affiliated with the fore-mentioned project, I actually joined cause I'm reliving "Elvira - Mistress Of The Dark" via ScummVM's DS port at the moment and will likely branch into some other games. I figured I'd join the forum in case I had any bug reports or other feedback to contribute.
Axel_F

Post by Axel_F »

Hi,

im the guy behind the above mentioned Spectalum project. And the bad news first: yes, the project has been abandoned. I did so many mistakes during the development process (my first...and last...C++ project) that at one point I've seen no chance anymore finishing the engine. Well, we all learn over time...and the project is still opensource.

I was browsing this board because I was looking for an existing EoB port (and I'm damn impressed with the ScummVM LoL implementation by the way).
Well, I'm dreaming again about a platform independent remake of the EoB series and I dont have read about any fitting project up to today. So I feel a strong "do it" deep inside me. ;) But I've learned a lesson or two in the last 6 years. Let's start simple. The first game first. As much as I love EoB 2 I need to figure out some basic stuff I never really got years ago when developing Spectalum. However, the knowledge I earned by doing this project is something I already have. So I don't have to start at zero again.
By the way, EoB 3 is a whole other story then the first two parts of the series. As it was not developed by Westwood the entire structure is very different to EoB 1 + 2.
Oh, and DrMcCoy is right - even remaking a "simple" game like Eye of the Beholder is a loooot of work. Mostly doing research and reverse engineering. And understanding the results...thats the hardest part, at least for me.

So my current goal is a game engine for the first EoB, working on all current platforms. Even the iPhone. I have the tools, I have the knowledge and I have the time. Sounds good, right? ;)

I've written this post because I think some of you may be interested in a developers thought's behind such remake projects. And for motivating myself ofcourse. Did I mentioned that it is a looot of work? :)

Axel
Last edited by Axel_F on Thu May 03, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.