port to android g1??

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sblaise84
Got a warning

Post by sblaise84 »

Or you can just press enter. Hit Add game, then use your finger to slide down the list of folders (its a little tricky) click on the SD folder with your finger, then open the keyboard and hit enter. It will go into that folder. Then find the game folder and hit choose. The game should get added just leave the options on the default settings.
raukodur

Post by raukodur »

Sorry for my ignorance, if someone could clarify an issue or two for me:

So first thing is first, need to download scummvm from the app store?

Now, need to get some games for it, and these can be bought(?) from the link at the top, 'buy supported games'?

I havent been able to find monkey island there, what am I doing wrong?

When I do finally find the game, do I buy it, download it, and put it in a folder on my SD card? And I am guessing running Scummvm will allow me to locate and install and play that game?

How big is the combination of, say, scummvm and monkey island, since although I have a rooted phone, I am holding off the transfer of everything to SD card since it is way too complicated for me, and I live in the hope that google will rectify this problem in the near future (once they can work out some sort of encryption for the apps).

And lastly, how much does monkey island cost? how well does it work on the G1, I have read you can only use touch? what about the trackball? Does the game allow you to save and load etc.

Many thanks for any info.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

raukodur wrote: Now, need to get some games for it, and these can be bought(?) from the link at the top, 'buy supported games'?

I havent been able to find monkey island there, what am I doing wrong?
They only have a few of the games that ScummVM supports. The Where to buy games lists some places where it may be possible to buy some of the others.

For most of the Monkey Island games, you'll probably have to look for auction sites, unfortunately. LucasArts used to sell some of their games a few years ago (and some of them are still re-released at least in Europe every now and then), but nowadays they seem content to milk the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises. Which is ironic, because they've frequently said they want to make new and exciting things, not rehash their old games.
raukodur

Post by raukodur »

Im a little bit confused, so I need to buy the games as a normal PC game? Im guessing thats going to be on a CD, how do I run the game on my G1? Do I need to make an image of the cd or something?
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

@ raukodur
Most, if not all, your questions are answered in the FAQ. Please go read it.

To answer your question: Yes, you need the original version.
raukodur

Post by raukodur »

Many thanks, I did indeed find the answer to many quesiton in the FAQ.

Some unresolved questions; where does the game install? On the phone or the SD card? If on the phone, how much memory does scummvm, and e.g. monkey island take? This is important for thos eos us who havent got our phones set to install eveyrhting onto the SD card.
gus
ScummVM Porter

Post by gus »

raukodur wrote:Many thanks, I did indeed find the answer to many quesiton in the FAQ.

Some unresolved questions; where does the game install? On the phone or the SD card? If on the phone, how much memory does scummvm, and e.g. monkey island take? This is important for thos eos us who havent got our phones set to install eveyrhting onto the SD card.
scummvm.apk is installed on your phone's internal flash as usual. The actual game files go onto your SD card: just copy the contents of your CD (or whatever) into a folder on your SD card and then point ScummVM at that folder (it will be below /sdcard somewhere).

ScummVM.apk takes up about 13MB on your internal flash (it's pretty big unfortunately).

Please let me know if anything on
http://sites.google.com/site/scummvmandroid/faq
needs further explanation.
gus
ScummVM Porter

Post by gus »

guitarbloke wrote:The interface loads but when I select Add Game, I get a list of folders which I don't see when my G1 is plugged in so I can't save my game files to any of these folders.

What I initially did was connect my G1 to the PC and copy to game files to a new folder. However, I am unable to browse to this folder from the ScummVM interface on the G1. There is a folder listed in the interface named "sdcard" which I assumed would show me the contents of my SD Card so that I could browse to my game folder from there, but it simply says that no game files was found when I click it.
Sorry, I thought someone had answered this earlier.

To avoid corrupting files, Android doesn't let phone applications access the SD card at the same time as making it available to your PC over the USB cable.

You need to copy the files onto your SD card, *and then eject/unplug the USB cable*. You might have to (re)start scummvm after unplugging - I'm not sure if anything get's cached.

After that, you should be able to find your files below /sdcard.
DaveA

Post by DaveA »

gus wrote:
guitarbloke wrote:The interface loads but when I select Add Game, I get a list of folders which I don't see when my G1 is plugged in so I can't save my game files to any of these folders.

What I initially did was connect my G1 to the PC and copy to game files to a new folder. However, I am unable to browse to this folder from the ScummVM interface on the G1. There is a folder listed in the interface named "sdcard" which I assumed would show me the contents of my SD Card so that I could browse to my game folder from there, but it simply says that no game files was found when I click it.
Sorry, I thought someone had answered this earlier.

To avoid corrupting files, Android doesn't let phone applications access the SD card at the same time as making it available to your PC over the USB cable.

You need to copy the files onto your SD card, *and then eject/unplug the USB cable*. You might have to (re)start scummvm after unplugging - I'm not sure if anything get's cached.

After that, you should be able to find your files below /sdcard.
Hey Gus,

Any updates as to when the next release will be? Would love to get the trackball support!

Thanks!

Dave
Muty

Post by Muty »

Hi Gus,

I saw that you made scummvm-rc-29024 available on your google site. I installed it and it's working well so far.

Let us know where we can drop bug reports if we find anything please.
gus
ScummVM Porter

Post by gus »

Muty wrote:I saw that you made scummvm-rc-29024 available on your google site. I installed it and it's working well so far.

Let us know where we can drop bug reports if we find anything please.
Feel free to email me directly (address visible via the scummvm app market details) - it's my work address so I actually read it ;) Check the FAQ first to make sure it's not something I already know about, etc.

I'll push an updated patch to the scummvm guys and hopefully get it officially included - then we can start using the scummvm bug tracker.
DaveA

Post by DaveA »

New release is great, Gus. I have been enjoying playing old games on my phone. My only remaining issue is the trackball is too slow. Any possibility of having an ability to set the speed? Thanks for all your work.
raukodur

Post by raukodur »

AWESOME!

I transferred my apps to SD card so I now download everything and anything without worrying about space, and downloaded scummvm today and have got the secret of monkey island working.

Only problem, no sound.

Whats up with that? Any specific setting I need to change from the default to get it working?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

raukodur wrote: Only problem, no sound.
Which version of the game? There are several which handle sound and music differently. (There is no speech.)
raukodur

Post by raukodur »

the first one, secret of monkey island.