A List Of ScummVM Games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

thenodfather

A List Of ScummVM Games

Post by thenodfather »

I was going to ask the question is there a list of ScummVM Game with and without speech available?

Having read the list of rules though it sounds like it would be easier to hold a Bar Mitzvah in Berlin in the early 1940's.

Is asking for that list ok?
Last edited by thenodfather on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

depends on what you mean by with or without sound... All supported games have sound AFAIK.
thenodfather

Post by thenodfather »

Thanks Jonatan. I corrected that there, I meant with Speech no Sound,sound would be part of it usually of course.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Well, a lot of the games have versions with both voices and without. Any particular game you were wondering about?

And to answer your signaturequestion, what's wrong with "abandonware" is that there is no such thing. The creators still hold legal rights to their creations, thus making the copying and distribution of such materials piracy of wares. Which, I'm sure you know having read the rules, is not acceptable on these forums.
FYI;)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

thenodfather wrote:Thanks Jonatan. I corrected that there, I meant with Speech no Sound,sound would be part of it usually of course.
Still a tricky question. Some games were released both as CD versions with speech, and floppy versions with limited or no speech. Though just because a game is on CD doesn't necessarily mean it has speech. Some floppy games were re-released on CD, and some CD games still only had limited speech.

I don't have all the games on the compatibility chart, but...

LucasArts games

No speech: Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Passport to Adventure (demo), The Secret of Monkey Island, Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge.

May have speech: Loom, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max Hit the Road.

Speech: Full Throtte, The Dig, The Curse of Monkey Island.

AdventureSoft

I don't think any of the Elvira games (including Waxworks) have speech.

The two Simon the Sorcerer games were released both with and without speech.

The Puzzle Pack games only have a few scattered lines of speech, from what I've seen of them.

The Feeble Files has speech.

Coktel Vision

I'm not sure about these. I think the Goblins games, and Lost in Time were released both with and without speech, but even with speech it's only during cutscenes. I think that Woodruff always has speech, while the others are always without.

Sierra AGI Games

I don't think any of these have any speech.

Other Games

There are many games here that I don't have.

The Broken Sword games and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream have speech. Future Wars and Lure of the Temptress do not.

Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen have versions both with and without speech. I think Inherit the Earth does as well.

Drascula has speech. I don't know if there was any version without.

I'm uncertain about the Kyrandia games. There are versions with speech of all three, but I think at least the first two may have been released without as well.

The 7th Guest has some speech, which it uses to annoying effect.

The version of Touché I bought has speech. I'm uncertain if there is any version without.

Humongous Entertainment

I'm missing most of these games, but I think it's fairly safe to assume that most of them have speech. I'm uncertain about the earliest ones, and the arcade games.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

eriktorbjorn wrote:Coktel Vision
All three Goblins games were also released with "full" speech, i.e. everywhere you had text, you had speech as well.
Though for Gobliiins, that does mean only cutscenes, because only these had any talking anyway.
In Gobliins 2, the "gob babble" was replaced by real speech.
In Goblins 3, the "gob babble" was kept, but then Blount translated it.

Lost in Time is available both in text-only floppy versions and complete full speech CD versions.

Woodruff is only available as full talkie CD versions.

There are no talkie games of Bargon Attack and Ween: The Prophecy that I'm aware of.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Sam & Max Hit the Road has speech.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

ezekiel000 wrote:Sam & Max Hit the Road has speech.
who said it didn't?
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

eriktorbjorn has it listed as may have speech so I was just confirming it has, that's all.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

no, what he meant was that there exists both versions with and without speech, which is true;)
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Ah right I misunderstood because he listed the other games as "comes with and without speech" but for the scumm games he listed as "may have speech" so I thought he wasn't sure. Nevermind then.
thenodfather

Post by thenodfather »

Thank you very very much for your reply.
There is some great material to read through there.
Eirk, thank you for the lists, that's told me allot about what's available on Scumm.
(The 7th Guest, I like that, I just got the recently).

Thanks All :D
thenodfather

Post by thenodfather »

Jonatan,

"And to answer your signaturequestion, what's wrong with "abandonware" is that there is no such thing. The creators still hold legal rights to their creations, thus making the copying and distribution of such materials piracy of wares. Which, I'm sure you know having read the rules, is not acceptable on these forums."

There are plenty of sites, operating for years. True that doesn't make them legal, but in the case of one site they have game for download becasue as they say that they have been released to be allow to be available for free download and other games you have to buy, (the unrealeased for download), and then others it says, "No Go", so you can only read about them so, they seem to be adhering to the rules moreso, it wouldn't be a bad as putting them up for download as free and easy as getting torrents and downloading them.

I don't want this to sound like I am starting an argument, no no, I am only new in and like said in Ghostbusters, "The Door Swings Both Ways" and I could get myself kicked out as quick as I came, but what would your, (and others too if you like), opinion on the site I discribed in the paragaph above?

Cheers Everybody :wink:
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

It's hard to argue when I can hardly understand what you are writing, but I'll lay it out simply for you;

It doesn't matter if the warez are old, distributed by torrent or alongside freewared games. It's piracy all the same, and as such not a topic of discussion around here. Period.

We are lucky enough to have some games released by their rights holders and hopefully in the future there will be more but up until that point you are just going to have to buy the games.
thenodfather

Post by thenodfather »

I am no Scientist, but it reads straight forward enough.

I did not mention in any shape or form the advocation or promotion of pirating anything.
I was saying that there ARE games released to be allowed to be download with the, "all clear to do so", and there are sites putting up these games, they are not warez or torrents.
They are games, and to use your words, "released by their rights holders", am I am asking, what is your opinion on those websites and being a man who is a part of this site now, would you consider ok in your view and the sites?

I am just trying to get opinions really.

Thanks