7th Guest

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bobablob

7th Guest

Post by bobablob »

Vinterstum,

Is the 7th Guest playable on the iPhone now?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

I've no idea :). I don't have the game myself yet, so I haven't tried. I'll scrounge around for it a bit soon.
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

Could you upload a new nightly build? I'd be glad to test it out for you :D
Kukulcan

Post by Kukulcan »

Would test it too, just copied all the data files from the CDs to my iphone but it doesnt recognize the game
n1ckn4m3

Post by n1ckn4m3 »

Does not seem to work. I just tried on the most current ScummVM package and while it recognizes the game, when attempting to start it, scummVM drops to its console and has a very non-legible (in landscape or portrait) error message involving 'lossless'. I don't necessarily understand that because when I ripped the cd audio from the discs, I ripped to .mp3 format and not .ogg or any lossless compression method...

Same data files work on the current Windows version with no problems, so I know it's not a data issue. Ripped from the original CDs myself, more than once, so I don't think it's a corruption issue.

Any ideas?
sushi_in_fishbowl

Post by sushi_in_fishbowl »

Just thought id add... Installed 7th Guest today on my 3GS, works a treat!

Only glitches are the cursor colors don't look quite right, and the menu occasionally does the same when it's disappearing.

One of my favorite non-lucas point and clicks!

Only thing is the midi's don't sounds quite right (as in, they don't sound the same as they used to on a Sound Blaster Pro in 1993!). Is there any settings within ScummVM that can be adjusted to make the music sound right?

Best Regards
zednov

Post by zednov »

ipod touch 3g - as previously mentioned, works fine but wrong instruments in midi music and glitching cursor. But, i have a problem with accesing scummvm menus - neither tap-double tap nor tap-slide from bottom to top not working(everything works ok in other games). Thus, a can't save game, skip movies(you know, they aren't short :) ) and so on. Any ideas?:) Thanks, and sorry for my bad english
thomasw234

Post by thomasw234 »

I'm currently considering an iPhone, but I can't decide whether it's worth £100 extra for the 3GS over the 3G. How well does the 3G play the 7th Guest? I've got a 2nd Gen iPod Touch, and that is pretty poor at playing it. I've watched some OpenGL comparison vids on Youtube, and the 3GS performs significantly better!

Thanks, Thomas.
sushi_in_fishbowl

Post by sushi_in_fishbowl »

Can't comment on performance on any other devices, sorry, I just have the iPhone 3GS and I would say other than the glitching cursor it's 100% playable. More than on par with my old 486 DX2-66!!

Just wish I could get the midi's to sound like they used to!

Regards
thomasw234

Post by thomasw234 »

Thanks for your reply :) I'm glad to hear that the 3G S can play it fully, I'm not overly fussed about sound!
fredvs79

Post by fredvs79 »

I know this thread is totally old, but I can confirm that you can play T7G on the 3GS... however, I found that some puzzles (notably the one in the library where you pick the letters) was pretty difficult, just because of the screen resolution.
wisefire

Post by wisefire »

in the case of 7th guest, zoom should be implemented(i know, im one to talk, i dont code..:S )

7th guest is letterboxed afaik, and when zoomed in you can get rid of the black bars on the sides. then the screen is bigger. and easier to play the letter game (didnt have much trouble though, a steady hand does it)

but ive noticed palette problems with the cursor as well, hard to tell what the cursor is telling me (is it a puzzle, can i go there, cant i go there)

also the midi sound track does sound weird indeed, maybe some other soundfont? do soundfonts work on the iphone?

otherwise, its playable. but the small screen makes for ugly downsizing.