Nokia 5800 XpressMusic and ScummVM

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sranje007

Post by sranje007 »

^ i forgot to mention that auto save is turned off,but still freezes
kkarme

Post by kkarme »

i had the same problem with monkey island 3, but i got it running when i turned off speech and turned all volume bars to 0.

for the lack of keyboard problem as a workaround you can run the Virtual Key application in the background and use it to map for example the camera key as * to enable saving and red phone key as right soft key for inventory. Virtual Key can be found here:
http://www.symbianfreeware.mobi/downloa ... l-key.html
but it has to be signed to install. and you have to manually tweak the keymap files to map *.

if someone knows how to make it run with sound it would be neat!
sranje007

Post by sranje007 »

yeah,it works but without sound like you said. Hope that it will be fixed in new version of scummvm.
sasou

Post by sasou »

Any news? Is there any other application like virtual key, cause I don't find a signed version :(
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

No no new stuff on the virtual keyboard. Which seems to be needed in many instances. And also more than A-Z is needed. So I will need to do some work on the VKB overall.
Lexa86

Post by Lexa86 »

So...how is it going with wkb? ready soon?
tezas87

Post by tezas87 »

Gentlemen I have found an extremely useful application for the 5800. It is called virtual keyboarb and it creates a transparent and movable keyboard on your screen. Monkey Island 3 plays like an absolute charm, since I can put the keyboard aside for it not to block the game area, and I drag it back whenever I need it. Such a solution is indeed very convenient for full screen gaming.
Could somebody please tell me what the shortcut is for the inventory[brain freeze]?
Anotherguest: Such an approach could be a very workable idea for the s60 touch platform. PM me if you need the .sis file for the aforementioned app [It's freeware but a little hard to come by].
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I guess that the keyboard reduces performance abit since it probably can't run in any accelerated mode. Menu is '*' key for s60v3 but can be remapped in the main menu.

I think getting a smilar solution into the actual codebase would be nice instead of a separate app, but is a good solution for now I guess.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Anotherguest wrote:I guess that the keyboard reduces performance abit since it probably can't run in any accelerated mode. Menu is '*' key for s60v3 but can be remapped in the main menu.

I think getting a smilar solution into the actual codebase would be nice instead of a separate app, but is a good solution for now I guess.
There is the (currently disabled?) virtual keyboard, isn't there?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well..there is.. but not currently for VGA games (built into the SDL backend).. hmm the built in ScummVM vkeyboard(as built in to ScummVM it self).. well you have to have a way to launch it, and no keys on a Nokia 5800. And its not optimized for lowres theme yet, only for VGA.. So there are stuff to do on the built in version.
sranje007

Post by sranje007 »

monkey island 3 now works great(still without in game sound) with scummvm 0.13.1 on my nokia 5800.thanks a lot
mikell82

beneath a steel sky on 5800

Post by mikell82 »

plz help !!

is there another way to see the menu with all the stuff that i collect (that suppose to pop up if u drag the mouse to the top of the screen) the problem in 5800 that i cannot drag the cursor to the very top so i cant see this menu. what can be done ??
another issue.. can i apply the cursors *_ and _* (that means the mouse clicks) to the volume buttons ? like if i press + on the volume button on my phone it"l be right mouse button and so on.. ?
sranje007

Post by sranje007 »

in monkey island 3 when _* is selected,then you can open the inventory,and then *_ to select an item....hope it helps.
for volume buttons it is not possible with scummmv i think
mikell82

beneath a steel sky solution for the item menu

Post by mikell82 »

well its only a partial solution... but it is what it is.

when you want to choose from the item menu just turn your screen so the game will turn 90 deg. and appear in a small form in that way you can reach with your cursor up and select the menu and then the item. after that you can just turn it back (turn the phone or press CTRL 2).
lanzz

Post by lanzz »

Here's an illustration of the "edge of screen" problem with 5800:

The phone does not report touch events in the narrow white edge around the screen. The image is created with Mobile Paint, I've painted as close to the edge as the phone would allow me. Another problem was that once the stylus enters the dead area, returning it to the active area does not register as touch, until you lift the stylus from the screen and press it down again (that's why the edge is wobbly; this might be specific to Mobile Paint).

This is not a physical problem with the edge of the touch screen, as I've played with the touch calibration - even when grossly miscalibrated, the inactive edge stays the same size, even though the position where the screen stops reacting to touch is closer to the center.

Interesting thing is that another paint program, Paint Pad, has no problem to paint right to the very edge of the screen.