ScummVM/Wii SVN builds

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Bossk

Post by Bossk »

It works ingame.

Now that the virtual keyboard works ingame and can be tested, the bound wiimote buttons can be altered. There's no more need for 0,y,n to be bound to a button.

This is how it's setup now, suggestions for different button setups are welcome ofcourse:

2 : RETURN
- : ESCAPE
+ : "."
Home: F5
Dpad up: LShift
Dpad down: F7 (virtual keyboard)
Dpad left: "y"
Dpad right: "n"

Which keys are useful in the various games? Boxing keys for Indy3 etc.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Tried it out yesterday. Works fine except some keys don't respond at all. I tried doing Shift+1 for a "!" character and nothing happened. Same with apostrophes and such. Other than that it works good. The cursour is a little hard to see on the white keys, though.
aculotarpa

Post by aculotarpa »

Great job!
But the num keys don't seem work, so is impossible to enter the code in Monkey 2 and start the game (during this screen F5 is disabled too, so it could'nt be skipped by loadinfìg a saved game).
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

Good to know. I will check it myself, and map it to a different button in the meantime.
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

scummvm-wii-0.14.0svn_r36022_20090123.rar
Notes:
This is a 0.14.0svn build. No support for experimental features, they are just for testing. If it doesn't work, too bad. They may not get into 0.13 when it is released, but into 0.14.

- Enabled virtual keyboard (dpad down).
- Remapped some buttons (may change again later)
home = GMM (F6 instead of F5)
down = virtual keyboard
left = keypad 3 (untested yet)
right = keypad 9 (untested yet)
- DVD support with DVDX

Let me emphasize again: This is experimental stuff under development. Treat it as such.
This weekend I'm going to experiment some more with the virtual keyboard and keys (for Monkey2 and Indy3). My goal is to be able to box with Indy and use the vkbd for input with Monkey2 etc.
Last edited by Bossk on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Badablek

Post by Badablek »

virtual keyboard is really nice (but the color of the cursor is not very good, hard to see it)...ScummVMWii is getting better every day !

and FINALLY, an option to return to ScummVM launcher :P
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

When I saw the 0.14 I thought I'd missed something.

I tried CoMI by burning all the files to one DVD-R.
At first I couldn't locate DVD. I had a USB stick in as well as a SD card. Then I found out I had the disc in the wrong way.
It's been so long since I got a game for the Wii I seem to have forgotten which way discs go in.
Anyway with CoMI I got loads of lag because of the DVD. It's OK from USB stick. The optical laser was doing lots of searching for files. After about 5-10 seconds I shut down the Wii. I was afraid it would launch itself into orbit. I've had 2 DVD drive failures on my Xbox360 and didn't want to add the Wii to the list.
It's probably OK with older games like Monkey 1 & 2. Have you done much testing with the DVD?
Anyway I like the keyboard. Good stuff Bossk.
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

With brijohn's patches+builds I haven't had the need to build stuff lately, but I'm still continuing to do so.
ScummVM is getting better with each svn commit, so updated builds are always welcome IMHO.

I'm posting the builds to mediafire (see link in signature).

scummvm-wii-0.14.0svn_r36300.7z
- Added latest usbkeyboard fixes
- Fixed virtual keyboard, 0-9 keys (vkeybd.xml in vkeybd.zip)
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I'll give it a try next time I get to playing on the Wii. Hopefully Sunday tomorrow. It can't hurt having 3 people supplying builds I'm sure.
Interesting comparing the 7zip that you use and briijohn's gunzip. Your 7zip is 3,304kb whilst the gunzip is 4,995kb. Both de-compress to about 10.8MB.
Paperman

Post by Paperman »

I have some problems with Monkey Island 3 and Loom.
But, first of all. A very very very great release.
I like the virtual keyboard. ^^

Monkey Island 3 has some few frameskipping probs and drop-downs with the newest release.
With the a release in January (i dunno correctly which one) the game runs very fluent.
I compressed my bun and san files to ogg files (which have a better performance than mp3 files -> see Loom).
The game as a whole runs fluent but sometimes (if you talk with people) the sound and voice is hanging up for a milli sec.

Loom (it's the original cd version ^^) has a much much much better performance with ogg compression (thanks to Sev).
I had huge loading times with the MP3 file.
The WAV File are working correctly but are too huge.
But also with OGG encoding, I am having some small loading times (some secs).
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

@ Red_Breast
7zip (LZMA) is a much better compression algorithm. It's pretty common these days, so I prefer 7zip over RAR or regular ZIP.

@ Paperman
Ogg is indeed the preferred compression method. Good performance, quality and small files.
There are indeed a few framedrops/stutters in COMI. Nothing really major, just slightly annoying.
Which release gave you fewer stutters? Nothing changed in relation to that in january. A few months ago I used the hermes speed fixes for blazing performance, but not anymore. They caused many problems and were quite nasty.
For now, the current performance is all you're gonna get. But who knows about the future?

New build:
scummvm-wii-0.14.0svn_r38363.7z
- Dhewg's interpretation of brijohn's usb keyboard patches.
- SCI engine won't be included until 0.13 is released. (Requested by dhewg). If you want SCI, build it yourself.

The SCI engine/port works (also on the Wii), but is currently under heavy development. It'll be here soon enough.
Last edited by Bossk on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paperman

Post by Paperman »

I was using dhewg build r35709 without framedrops (just in some scenes where mp3 encoding will crash the game and ogg encoding will stutter).

I just noticed the regular stutters yesterday, cause I started to play through MI3 again.
I thought the reason is the compression methode again. xD
But it's not a dramatic issue.
MI3 is playable and stable. :)
Bossk

Post by Bossk »

Ok, I reupped scummvm-wii-0.14.0svn_r38363.7z.
Compiled the libs (tremor etc) a bit different.

Paperman: please tell me if you notice a difference.
Paperman

Post by Paperman »

Big THX @Bossk
Great thing.

I tried your newest build.
I missed the virtual keyboard (Steering Cross Down). :)
It won't appear. Also the other buttons didn't show me a virtual keyboard.

The framedrops in MI3 are also present.
It could be that the drops are fewer, but I am not sure.
As I said it's not a dramatic issue. But it would be sweet to run the game fluent.
I will try to change the encoding methode again, just to see what will happen. ^^

It's also strange that you can open 2 different menues.
One with "Home" and one with "Steering Cross UP".
With "Steering Cross Up" I cannot load my MI3 Savestates but can go back to the Game Launcher.
During with "Home", I can change the options, loading my state and just quit scummvm, but I cannot go back to the launcher. :)

The last thing.
During the booting of scummvm, the application is gonna check if you inserted a disc with scummvm data.
If you inserted a disc, the disc is going to rotate in the drive. It won't stop also when you load your games from SD Card. It stops just when you go to the ingame menue (to load a savestate for example).
Maybe an option would be great, to tell scummvm from which data source scummvm has to load the games (SD, DiscDrive, USB).
So If the discdrive isn't used to load data it won't start rotating at the booting of scummvm.

I will change to an older build, cause I am missing the virtual keyboard. :)
But thanks a lot for your help.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

The best build to use for CoMI is the last stable build 0.12.

This is copied and pasted from the Subversion builds thread.

Raschi:
I have tested the new 35709 build with comi, and although the intro video runs smooth now, I am experiencing a couple seconds long pause between each dialogue line, sometimes also mid-dialogue. This doesn't happen in the official 0.12.0 build.
I have tested on both SD and SDHC, mp3 compressed. Same result.

Dhewg:
Thanks for the feedback. I used some patches for v0.12.0 to increase the SD performance, these are now sadly incompatible with the libraries of the new toolchain.
I'm looking into boosting the performance again, lets see how that works out.

I know it can be a little confusing having more than one build on your SD card though. I have 4 on mine at the moment.