The ScummMan Report

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ScummMan

The ScummMan Report

Post by ScummMan »

Hello everyone.

First of all, I have a few bugs [debug messages] to report. Excuse me if they're already known.
Maniac Mansion (ENGLISH/C64)

Unknown MD5 (eea4d9ac2fb6f145945a308e8866915b)! Please report the details (language, platform, etc.) of this game to the ScummVM team.
Illegal access to variable VAR_CUTSCENEEXIT_KEY in file scumm/input.cpp, line 274.
Illegal access to variable VAR_CUTSCENEEXIT_KEY in file scumm/input.cpp, line 274.

Maniac Mansion (ENGLISH/PC-DEMO V1)

WARNING: Failed to instantiate engine for target maniacb!

Zak McKracken (ENGLISH/C64)

Unknown MD5 (35183fc18b1e04cdc9070078260b2c03)! Please report the details (language, platform, etc.) of this game to the ScummVM team.
Second, I've seen a few people asking about a return to menu option [and a feature request entry exists, too]. I have a simple workaround, but you'll need to close the cmd window to quit ScummVM.

Create a batch file, and add these lines:

Code: Select all

@echo off
:loop
SCUMMVM.EXE %1 %2 %3
goto loop
I hope I've been helpful.
Last edited by ScummMan on Sat May 27, 2006 7:01 pm, edited 21 times in total.
plop

Post by plop »

i have used your menu looper, thanks and much love!
ScummMan

Post by ScummMan »

While tinkering with the INI, I found that the target name could successfully be modified, as long as the gameid=[game] was present.

For example:

Code: Select all

[INDY4CD]
aspect_ratio=true
description=Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC-CD)
fullscreen=true
gameid=atlantis
language=en
path=.\Games\Indiana Jones\Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis\PC-CD\
platform=pc
savepath=.\Games\Indiana Jones\Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis\PC-CD\SAVES\

[INDY4DISK]
aspect_ratio=true
description=Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC-DISK)
fullscreen=true
gameid=atlantis
language=en
path=.\Games\Indiana Jones\Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis\PC-DISK\
platform=pc
savepath=.\Games\Indiana Jones\Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis\PC-DISK\SAVES\
Lastly, Sega CD is not listed as a platform, but The Secret of Monkey Island (ENGLISH/SEGA CD) works, as long as you set the platform to default. [added a feature request entry]
Last edited by ScummMan on Fri May 26, 2006 11:47 pm, edited 20 times in total.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

ScummMan, just to clarify the terminology: Those aren't "bugs". If one of our games prints a warning about something, that doesn't classify as a bug, and should normally be ignored by you.

In that particular case, we may consider turning this into a debug-only message to avoid confusion.

A bug is for example a crash, or clear wrong behavior, neither is the case here...
ScummMan

Post by ScummMan »

I didn't see a bug report or debug thread, so I decided to post in general discussion. I'm sorry if I caused any confusion. For the record, though, as a result of these errors, Maniac Mansion (ENGLISH/C64) and Maniac Mansion (ENGLISH/PC-DEMO V1) are not playable. I've heard that some are able to pass the character selection screen in Maniac Mansion (ENGLISH/C64), but for most, it crashes upon clicking the start button.

I had a few other thoughts to share, too, and in hindsight, probably should have kept them seperate from any error reports.
Last edited by ScummMan on Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

ScummMan wrote:I didn't see a bug report or debug thread, so I decided to post in general discussion.
The irony here is that on top of each forum, there is READ BEFORE POST message with forum rules. And rule #3a states:
Do not post bugreports here. See the FAQ answer on how to report bugs properly . The appropriate place for those is the Bug Tracker. Same goes for Feature Requests .
:?

Eugene
plop

Post by plop »

I downloaded the Maniac Mansion demo from the site, but it wont even load in ScummVM, this is the one where all the files end in '.man', please help me.
ScummMan

Post by ScummMan »

plop, detection for that version of the Maniac Mansion demo has been implemented in the latest ScummVM SVN build (courtesy of kirben).

See: SVN Builds
Last edited by ScummMan on Sat May 27, 2006 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
plop

Post by plop »

Much love to Mr. Kirben for the update!

Now, if only somebody will clean the exe icon up a bit. At 16px, there is some ugly dark border artifacts around it, and at 32px there is a crazy line on the top.
ScummMan

Post by ScummMan »

I don't have that much time on my hands these days, but I thought I'd bring up a few debug messages that I've seen while using ScummVM [0.9.0svn]. A few of them result in crashes. I figured that it would be better to reply to this thread, rather than start a new one.

See: Bug Tracker
Last edited by ScummMan on Sat May 27, 2006 6:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

ScummMan wrote:I don't have that much time on my hands these days, but I thought I'd bring up a few debug messages that I've seen while using ScummVM [0.9.0svn]. A few of them result in crashes. I figured that it would be better to reply to this thread, rather than start a new one.
This is really nice set of bugs and I think most of them could be fixed. But please, why don't you read what I wrote? It's really difficult to work with bugs this way. You'd better say "I figured that it would be better to post them to bug tracker" instead.

Though anyway I think that you will ignore this message just like previous one :(

You're really putting unnecessary load on the Team. 3 of 6 bugs you reported require more discussion and/or additional testing, and forums just not suited for such task, your reports just will be lost.

Eugene
plop

Post by plop »

i am have this problem too, so am hope it to be fixed soon. thanks and much love!
ScummMan

Post by ScummMan »

Are you happy now, sev? I've added those debug messages to the bug tracker. Is there anything else that I can do for you?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

ScummMan wrote:Are you happy now, sev? I've added those debug messages to the bug tracker. Is there anything else that I can do for you?
:) :) More than happy. Moreover, I already asked you couple questions on those bugs which I am able to resolve. Thank you. I wish all users would be like you and spend some time to report their bugs. We all want ScummVM to be as perfect as possible and that's just impossible without proper users feedback.

Eugene