Problems... Popcorn Hour A-100 + SDL

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

OwL

Problems... Popcorn Hour A-100 + SDL

Post by OwL »

Hi all!

I have been experimenting a bit with the Popcorn Hour A-100 media player, SDL and ScummVM...

I have managed to build SDL and ScummVM for the embedded linux on the player...

however....

When I start scummvm, my screen just gets blue... ;) .. I feel I'm getting close to make it run...

The setup of the PCH is:
DirectFB 0.9.24.
And I custom built
SDL + ScummVM without problems.

It seems to initialize ok, but the screen gets blue...

Using debuglevel=5 while running scummvm gets a lot of output:

http://almrobert.mine.nu/pop/scummvm/log.txt

I am unfortunately not familiar with SDL or ScummVM, so any help to point me towards the right direction will save me plenty of time!

Hopes for answer....

Regards // OwL
ScummVm

Post by ScummVm »

How are you even able to execute this on the popcorn , is there some sort of button combo you hold to make the linux command line pop up ?

I'm very curious since I have a pch 110 myself.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Seems he dropped interest already?

The link is dead aswell :-/
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Sigh. scummvm-devel mailing list would definitely more appropriate for such post. I completely missed it and did not read.

OwL, hope that you will be back :)

Eugene
OwL

Post by OwL »

Hehe... Actually the link is not dead anymore... my server just crashed, and I recently became a father, so my "spare"-time is slim.... I have not had time to investigate this further, but it seems to be a problem between DirectFB and SDL on the PCH. I will take another look when I have the time...
I have gotten a bit further... now SDL initializes the video mode on HDMI as supposed to, but I still don't get any output... I can clear the backbuffer in various colours, so it _should_ just be a matter of tweaking to get it running... but as I said, I have no time... If anyone want to continue investigate while I am away, just send me a PM and Ill give you what is needed to get going!

I have gotten the SDL test applications running, but same as scumm, no output.. but they produce "valid" outputs on the console, and no errors.

On the question on how to execute user applications on the PCH, check out these links:

http://www.lundman.net/wiki/index.php/NMT:telnetd

and the official toolcain for the PCH:

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/downl ... pl/gpl.htm

Just get rockin! :-)

EDIT: I have produced a better log running scummvm also:
http://almrobert.mine.nu/pop/scummvm/log2.txt

EDIT2: I have also been talking to my former co-worker "Anotherguest" a bit trying to get it running... but I have not put as much effort as I wish I could...

And another thing: For now, if we get it running, we will not have any sound! (Syabas have not released any doc on how to access the sound parts of the PCH...)

Regards // OwL
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Hm, from your log, this bit seems interesting:
SDL DirectFB_SetVideoMode: 640x400@16, flags: 0x00000000
OSD:ERROR:unsupported format: 0x200801
It seems like it's trying to set the wrong video mode, if I'm not mistaken... It should be 640x480 (not 400). And I guess that "16" is 16-bit color, not 16 colors, right?

Edit: By Googling a bit, it seems that format 0x200801 is RGB. Perhaps Popcorn is using YUV only?
This link might be interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YUV#Conver ... 7UV_to_RGB
clem

Post by clem »

OwL wrote:[...] and I recently became a father
Congratulations!
quetzal

Post by quetzal »

Hi OwL!

I wonder if you could post your latests code, I can't wait to have a look at it.

I'm programmer too, never worked with SDL before, but I guess It's just matter of try it :)

Best regards,

Pedro
vsirvent

Popcorn test

Post by vsirvent »

Hi all,

I've been able to cross compile SDL + scummvm for NMT and execute it in the popcorn A-110. The problem is that it crashes after system initialization. I've putted some log traces in SDL_Init() code and initialization of timers fails, if I comment timers initialization, SDL_Init is correctly executed, but the application crashes again (don't know where). It is very difficult to debug the code with log traces (need to restart PCH every time scummvm crashes).
I've also compiled GDB for target mipsel and tried to remote debug using gdbserver, but DirectFB can't start core (Out of memory message) and application crashes.
It seems that running scummvm in PCH-A110 is a very difficult task, but I will give it a try.

Any idea to make the application work?

Regards,
quetzal

Post by quetzal »

Hi vsirvent,

If you could your actual code, and some instructions on how to reach the point where you're right now, maybe I could have a look and suggest any solution.

Best regards,

Pedro