Tips for using ScummVM on the iPhone? (re: controls)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sofakng

Tips for using ScummVM on the iPhone? (re: controls)

Post by sofakng »

One last question from me regarding ScummVM for the iPhone.

Before I bought my iPhone this was really the one "killer app" that I couldn't wait to use but after using it I'm having a little difficulty with the controls. I know several modes are available (eg. touchpad, click-and-drag, etc), but it seems like you must constantly switch between them to really play the games.

Am I playing "incorrectly" or does anybody have any tips for me for an easier time playing the games?

I'm currently trying to play the Monkey Island series and Sam And Max.

(I also wish that I could feasibly play the "text-based" games like Police Quest 1 but it's just too darn hard with the iPhone keyboard)
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Generally: Use click-and-drag for COMI and Full Throttle, and just normal touchpad mode (or nothing) for the rest.

You shouldn't really need to switch between modes in-game, with one possible exception: The bedroom in COMI which, as far as I remember, requires some trickery to complete :).

At some point I'd like to add support for remembering which modes you're using in which games, which should help things a bit.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

You can use touchpad mode along side of click-and-drag, right? Would you suggest this for COMI?

Also, does anybody really use non-touchpad mode? It seems very hard to click on tiny objects but it does make it easier to move the characters around the screen...
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

sofakng wrote:You can use touchpad mode along side of click-and-drag, right? Would you suggest this for COMI?

Also, does anybody really use non-touchpad mode? It seems very hard to click on tiny objects but it does make it easier to move the characters around the screen...
Using both modes doesn't work too well, in general. It means you can't move the cursor without always first clicking.

In COMI, especially: It'll prevent you completely from moving the cursor away from a chat dialog, since any time you hit the screen it'll register as a click (meaning you'll always select the last chat option you were on).
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Ahh, OK. I see what you're saying.

However, if you don't use touchscreen mode (in COMI) then isn't it difficult to see what's under your finger? (eg. the pop-up circle with the talk, inspect, etc, options)
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

sofakng wrote:Ahh, OK. I see what you're saying.

However, if you don't use touchscreen mode (in COMI) then isn't it difficult to see what's under your finger? (eg. the pop-up circle with the talk, inspect, etc, options)
I never really had any problems with COMI, it has a bit less hunt-the-pixel gameplay than some other games :).

It's pretty unavoidable, though, unless click-and-drag mode is changed to simulate holding down the mousebutton some other way. Which would involve using other fingers and would probably be... awkward :).
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Yeah, I don't think it's a problem but I was having a bit of trouble with the mode switching combinations.

Holding a finger + swipe left to right (eg. touchpad mode) seems to work good and fairly consistent.

However, the F5/menu toggle (eg. hold finger + swipe top to bottom) sometimes toggles the touchpad instead of bringing up the menu. I also have the same problem with the click-and-drag toggle (eg. sometimes it toggles the touchpad instead of click-and-drag mode).

When I'm doing the modechanges I try to keep my finger swipe as straight as possible but it must be really sensitive which is why it keeps wanting to do the touchpad toggle instead of the menu or click-and-drag.

Did you or anybody else notice this or could it be turned down so the menu and click-and-drag work more consistently?

Other than that I LOVE this port and it works amazing!
leeho730

Post by leeho730 »

Vinterstum wrote: Using both modes doesn't work too well, in general. It means you can't move the cursor without always first clicking.

In COMI, especially: It'll prevent you completely from moving the cursor away from a chat dialog, since any time you hit the screen it'll register as a click (meaning you'll always select the last chat option you were on).
I always move mouse cursor after clicking dialogue to avoid the problem, as even during dialogue mouse cursor will still move when the user moves it. Once the dialogue is finished, the mouse cursor will have moved out of chat window! Rather neat.

I use combined touchpad mode + click & drag mode. It's as close to desktop experience I had on mobile device.
sofakng wrote:Yeah, I don't think it's a problem but I was having a bit of trouble with the mode switching combinations.

Holding a finger + swipe left to right (eg. touchpad mode) seems to work good and fairly consistent.

However, the F5/menu toggle (eg. hold finger + swipe top to bottom) sometimes toggles the touchpad instead of bringing up the menu. I also have the same problem with the click-and-drag toggle (eg. sometimes it toggles the touchpad instead of click-and-drag mode).

When I'm doing the modechanges I try to keep my finger swipe as straight as possible but it must be really sensitive which is why it keeps wanting to do the touchpad toggle instead of the menu or click-and-drag.

Did you or anybody else notice this or could it be turned down so the menu and click-and-drag work more consistently?

Other than that I LOVE this port and it works amazing!
What I found was that rather than swiping from the very edge, starting and finshing a bit shorter (I would say about .5cm from the edge) worked better.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

I'll take a look at how the directional swipes are done, could be a bug there somewhere.